“Great food, overwhelmed server”

Marzano's Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 770 Restaurants in Tacoma
Price range: US$17 - US$35
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Our party of six ate at Marzano's on a Tuesday night and this place was hopping! We were glad we made a reservation. The charming, authentic Italian feel was wonderful, and the food was spectacular. I tried the pork shank (forget its Italian name on the menu), and the dish was truly inspired. The started salads were an unexpected treat this day in age, and the wine and drinks were quite good. Everyone left satisfied and impressed. Our only complaint was that the server forgot to submit our order to the chef in a timely manner, resulting in a long wait for our group, which included two young children. However, the waiter owned up to this mistake and gave us an appetizer on the house while we waited, which was very kind.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I have lived in the area for over 30 years and dined at Marzano's frequently. My wife and I went there a couple of weeks ago. It seemed even better than I remember. I had the Bigole Arrabiata. It was delicious. I told the waiter I wanted it spicy and that I was famished . . . so when he brought the dish out it was obvious that they had given me a larger portion. It was prepared to perfection . . . tangy, spicy . . . to die for.

What is also nice about this restaurant is that they serve some of the best bread you have ever tasted . . . and they don't just give you one piece . . . it just keeps coming. They also include a very good salad with the meal.

My wife had the braised beef shanks with asparagus and potatoes prepared with ricotta cheese. The meat fell off of the bones . . . she loved her meal.

They have great desserts as well . . . we had a berry cobbler that we are still talking about.

We are not drinkers . . . are meals were in the $15-$20 range.

Excellent food, friendly wait staff, very reasonable prices, fun environment.

What are you waiting for ???

3  Thank Dunford23
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is our favorite restaurant in Tacoma, because we have never been disappointed with our meal. The food is always delicious and it's a reasonable price (not expensive, but not cheap). This is where we go for a special meal (anniversaries, birthdays, etc.) because we can always count on a delicious meal. I do wish that they would serve the bread with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and Parmesan, like they used to years ago. I do miss that combination. The dinner salads are very simple, lightly dressed greens, the entrees are what really make this place shine, and they have a good selection of desserts.

1  Thank CRMotorbikes
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Wonderfully charming inside and out. Greeted by a friendly host and seated immediately with reservation. I was alone and they didn't sit me at some card table near the exit. Thank you.

Served incredibly fresh bread with good quality EVOO at the table. The menu is a treasure chest of great food and drink.
I love this menu:
Spaghetti, pappardelle, piccata, cannelloni, scaloppine. They have it all.

Starter of mussels in white wine. They subbed clams instead but it was still incredible. Definitely shareable.

I had the diver scallops with House made spinach leek ravioli. Terrific dish full of flavor. Scallops were perfectly seared golden brown outside and tender inside. Wonderfully flavorful sauce. But just a bit over sauced for me. The contents were almost swimming in sauce. But others might be ok with that. Delicious nonetheless.

Dessert was flour-less chocolate cake with vanilla gelato and amaretto. Obviously fantastic.

Looking forward to my next visit.

1  Thank CARose
Reviewed 30 June 2014

A local favorite for decades, the food and flavor at Marzano keeps us coming back. With many business lunches and dinners here, I've had the opportunity to try just about everything on the menu. I love the authentic flavor and attention to detail at Marzano's. Food has always come out hot and accurate, and whether it's pizza, a salad, or entree, the flavor has been wonderful.

Realize that the restaurant is located in a former residence, and the tables are tightly put together. If you are looking for a booth and want to be secluded, you won't find it a Marzano's. And, it can get loud, particularly when packed with people. But, for me, that's part of the charm. People pack into Marzano's because they love the food, and they keep coming back.

Recognize the reality of the table set up, and then enjoy your meal if you choose to go. I often try the specials, though love the pizza and chicken pasta. Work your way through the menu, and if you have room, try one of the desserts. Yum.

2  Thank YetAnotherTraveler