“Old fashion hotel off the beaten path” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tokeland Hotel

Tokeland Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Tokeland
Seattle, Washington
“Old fashion hotel off the beaten path”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

Step back in time, the 40's, the 20's, earlier even... and there you have it, wind rattling the sash windows, clawfoot tub down the hall, creaky floors, over 100 years of memorabilia but not screaming for your attention, cozy, comfortable rooms, decent food, no fuss, discrete service. Everything in this hotel built in the 1880's spells authentic. Great for a couple wishing to get away on the wilder the side of the Washington coast and very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: oRooms with 2 beds are slightly more expensive but much larger
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kennoche

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Manchester, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

This place truly has character. It is priced very reasonably. The surroundings are quiet and peaceful. I plan to return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brionywood
portland, oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

Amazing place. Lovely hosts, great service, good food, romantic rooms, ideal location and perfect price. What else can we say.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tod5cats
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2011

At the intitiative of my friend Denise, we spent our annual out-of-town New Year's Eve here this year with a loosely defined of set of friends. Each couple or individual made their own reservations, so we didn't know whom and how many to expect. We ended up with a merry group of about 15-20. Some old friends not seen for a year or more, others who just happened to be there and joined by the informal and inviting atmosphere of the place (and of our group).

Denise and I arrived too late for dinner but luckier friends raved about their dinner experience. Readers of older reviews should be aware of the quantum leap in food and overall quality since owners Katherine and Scott retired from their jobs in Seattle and took over the kitchen and day-to-day management of the Tokeland Hotel. I had the Swedish Pancakes as my first breakfast in the New Year and I wish that this experience turns out to be the beginning of the decade of similar delightful breakfasts.

Our group hung out in the cozy firepalce room (library?, moose head room?) that was just the right size for us from 8pm-2am. We (including Morrie, a black spaniel) had our own snacks, champaigne and had a great time.

The hotel also has a larger common room that can also be merged with the area of the restaurant. An ideal place for an Audubon fields class, a church group retreat or a wedding or anniversary

Tokeland itself, and this part of the coast is the far outer end of the country. This cannot be described in words, it needs to be experienced. You have to walk on the outer dunes in the morning fog or on Washaway Beach in the evening twighlight of Dec.31 to have a sense of the dance, the brutally gracious interplay of the Ocean and of the Continent.

In summary, if you have the right mindset and appreciation for nature, history, ambiance and food, then the Tokeland Hotel may be the right destination and staring point for you.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

My husband, children and I had a wonderful meal here with his parents, so we decided to go back for a romantic couples weekend. The restaurant service and food was excellent; and the building itself is charming. Staying there doesn't match the same level of charm as eating there. The mattress was extremely squeaky and felt sort of like futon boards. I can sleep on a park bench comfortably, but my husband is a big man with a bad back, so the next day of driving was tough. The baths are shared, so it feels sort of like a dorm. The other couples were so friendly, and since we are used to camping, the shared bathroom didn't bother us. I'm mentioning it because I know a lot of women wouldn't like it. Overall, the atmosphere was peaceful, quiet, beautiful and romantic. I enjoyed staying here with my husband; and I look forward to going back.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SeaJenniTravel
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

This was my first time at the Tokeland Hotel and it won't be my last. The hotel turned out to be everything a 100-year-old hotel at the shore should be - a little tired but charming, with good food and a quiet, low-key ambiance.

My room was clean and cozy. As a nod to the 21st century, there is wifi but no television. Yes, the bathrooms are down the hall but there was never a wait getting into one. On our second day, it rained so we built a fire in the fireplace and kept it going all day while we stayed in and read.

The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. The restaurant was excellent. We ate breakfast and dinner there the entire weekend. Every meal was excellent. The oysters, clams and salmon were all fresh and local. The marionberry cobbler was outstanding.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank NinaV8
Shoreline, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

I've traveled to a few places in the U.S. and have stayed in good places, bad places and places inbetween. I had read the reviews for the Tokeland Hotel and they weren't very positive. But something made me reserve adjoining rooms for me and my spouse and teen son anyway and I'm glad I did.
If you go without expectations of the Hyatt, you can get into the fun of an historical monument. This hotel was built in 1885, for heaven's sake! They've kept it true to its roots and rightly so. For some reason, I kept thinking of the movie "Somewhere In Time" ... and my mind would drift off to long ago traditions and quaint customs.
The people associated with the city of Tokeland and the hotel are friendly and courteous and want to make your stay feel like home. The town is small and the atmosphere is warm. You can't walk very far without someone stopping to talk and exchange pleasantries. One surprising event.. they have wifi! I had taken my computer for photography uploads, and found the open server! Nice to have for email and IM.
Give the Tokeland Hotel a try with an open heart and mind. Experience life as it used to be, with charm and history right at your fingertips. You might be glad you did... .. I was.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Louieeee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tokeland
Chateau Westport
Canterbury Inn
Canterbury Inn
#1 of 14 in Ocean Shores
Quinault Beach Resort and Casino

Been to Tokeland Hotel? Share your experiences!