“A trip back in time...”
Review of Tokeland Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tokeland
Tokeland Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Tokeland
Shoreline, WA
“A trip back in time...”
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I've traveled to a few places in the U.S. and have stayed in good places, bad places and places inbetween. I had read the reviews for the Tokeland Hotel and they weren't very positive. But something made me reserve adjoining rooms for me and my spouse and teen son anyway and I'm glad I did.
If you go without expectations of the Hyatt, you can get into the fun of an historical monument. This hotel was built in 1885, for heaven's sake! They've kept it true to its roots and rightly so. For some reason, I kept thinking of the movie "Somewhere In Time" ... and my mind would drift off to long ago traditions and quaint customs.
The people associated with the city of Tokeland and the hotel are friendly and courteous and want to make your stay feel like home. The town is small and the atmosphere is warm. You can't walk very far without someone stopping to talk and exchange pleasantries. One surprising event.. they have wifi! I had taken my computer for photography uploads, and found the open server! Nice to have for email and IM.
Give the Tokeland Hotel a try with an open heart and mind. Experience life as it used to be, with charm and history right at your fingertips. You might be glad you did... .. I was.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Louieeee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
scottishrose8
Reviewed 8 December 2009

The Tokeland Hotel is a one of a kind find! If you want to go back in time to a slower paced vacation in a national historic building this is the place.
The owners and staff are friendly and always treat me as family. I have been going there for at least 15 years. I have taken friends and family with children there and they all enjoyed it. This is a European style hotel - more like a bed and breakfast with full service restaurant. The bathrooms are down the hall, however, unless the hotel is full, waiting for one has never been a problem. This hotel was built in the 1880's. It is a very old and historic building. The stairway upstairs is long and narrow, so don't bring a load of luggage you don't want to haul in and out. There is no elevator. They did not have insulation back when this hotel was built. you will notice the hall walls are built out of rough sawn vertical boards - probably douglas fir. The bedrooms each have their own wall paper, wainscoating, and matching comforters. There is not a square corner in the building as each addition over the years has settled in it's own direction. This makes it all the more unique. The bathrooms were just installed in the 1960's There are 4 upstairs and 2 restrooms downstairs for restaurant patrons and hotel guests. Sound travels in this historic building which is one of the reasons they tend to lock up at 10:00 so that patrons can get their sleep. They are always willing - if you let them know that you are going out to make arrangements for your late arrival back after 10:00.
As with any building that is this old, historic and near the ocean were the salt and wind can cause damage there are always maintenance issues. The owners do everything they can to keep these things taken care of. Some visits I have made - something just occured so I just deal with it. It has never been anything to ruin the visit.
I love the quiet ambience. From the east rooms you can see Willapa bay from your window. (its a good tide indicator) I love taking kids there because there is no tv!
We play board games, read aloud around the huge fireplace ( if it will not disturb other patrons) or go to the beach at night and get some fireworks from the indian reservation just up the road. There is a beach nearby called Washaway Beach which is perfect for fireworks as there are no buildings nearby to disturb or create a fire hazard. I always bring a book, although they do keep a good library there for patrons young and old to borrow durring their stay. The beds are all origional to the hotel - iron framed full size in many of the rooms. A few have queens and one has two twins. One small room has one twin. It is over the Kitchen and can get noisy and hot in the summer, but would probably be cozy in the winter. All rooms have electric baseboard heaters except the four that are connected to the origional house - they have central heat. The rooms are small, but that is the way they built them over 100 years ago. This was built as a summer vacation resort. It was origionally much larger with a golf course, and many other out buildings and activities but a large storm took out all but the origional hotel years ago - I think it was back in the 30's. The rest of the resort has been sold off over the years.
The food is excellent. it is not gormet; It's the kind of food you would make at home if you had time. My favorite are the steamed clams - which are usually only available on weekends, but they have homemade soups and deserts everyday, their rolls are made from a culture that has been going on over 100 years. Their buscuits are great - like those scones you get at the fair only round. The main menu has everything from pasta, seafood,to steak and prime rib for dinner with seasonal specials listed on the blackboard. The lunch menu is fresh and filling with the usual sandwichs (both hot and not), salad and soup offerings and the breakfasts are good old fashioned breakfast fare with a Cranberry Coast flavor. No Starbucks but the coffee is good and plentiful. I have never had a rude waitstaff, nor had to wait for my food.
There is a special menu on Sundays. They do not serve lunch, however you can get a bowl of soup and desert between breakfast which runs later than usual, and when dinner begins at 3:00 PM. The Sunday dinner menu is a full meal deal with just a few offerings but their cranberry pot roast with green beans, mashed potatos and gravy and desert is their signature dish. If I have to hit the road on Sundays to get back ahead of the Sunday evening rush hour, I always wait around to get it go with me take-out style.
They have a good wine list of local wines and beer.
The front porch has comfortable adarondack chairs for just sitting in the sun or reading a good book. The back yard is roomy, has fruit trees and a Gazebo which is often used for weddings and is a great place for kids to run around. There are horseshoe pits and If you ask there may be croquet. They sometimes have a ping-pong table in a little room downstairs that doubles as a conference room.
The owner is a licensed minister who can perform weddings and arrangements can be made for small intimate receptions either outside in summer or inside in winter.
This is a great place to take a group of friends. There are 18 rooms so renting the whole hotel will not break the bank. If you have a special occasion like a family reunion or are doing a workshop or seminar with friendly folk. This is a great place to rent out the entire hotel. The staff will arrange a group meal plan for your group if you chose. Just give them a call. I have attended workshops at the hotel and they did everything possible to make the stay special for each guest.
The ghost who has been named "Charlie" may or may not exist. There have been folks down there with equipment to try and "catch" paranormal phenomena, but so far it's only a legend. If Charlie is real. He is a friendly Ghost watching over the safety of the Hotel.
Teens love to hear the stories though, and get too scared to sleep but that is some of the fun of the place. The stairs to the third floor with the "Please don't disturb the ghost' sign is just so guests will respect the privacy of the one room up there that is sometimes used for summer staff. It is an unfinished attic with nothing to see anyway.
If you are looking for a plush room with private bath, large screen TV, and a kitchenette in your room this is not the place to go - find a Best Western. I have been in hotels like that with as much noise in the morning as the Tokeland. New constuction does not guarantee soundproof rooms.

The best time to go in Summer is over a few week days; it's more peaceful and you have the bathrooms to yourself. Check their winter schedule before just showing up as they are closed durring the week in winter, however the restaurant may be open even if the hotel is not. You may also want to check out their Thanksgiving dinner and New Years Eve parties, as well as their 4th of July weekend with parade and free picnic out back after the parade if 20 miles of sandy beach isn't enough for you. Which is a great place to go beach combing the day after one of those big wind storms we get a couple of times a year.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
5 Thank scottishrose8
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 29 March 2009

What can I say about the Tokeland Hotel? It is not a place that I would ever choose to stay on my own - we went with friends who chose it.

We walked through the door and were greeted by .... wait .... we weren't greeted. We were ignored. So we stood in the drafty lobby and froze until someone finally decided to pay attention to us and check us in.

Up to our tiny room with the ancient, creaky, musty bed and sandpaper linens that couldn't keep anything warm. We deposited our stuff and went down to the dining room for dinner. There, we were treated with hostility rather than hospitality (and yes, we had a reservation). My husband tried three times to get something to drink - all the better to wash down the rancid butter that had obviously been sitting on the table for months - but the waitress blithely ignored the fact that he was trying to get her to get something for him to drink - anything, after she failed to show up at our table for the first twenty minutes we were there.

Now, I can't fault them on the rancid butter. I am almost certain that they figured the temperature in the dining room (and throughout the entire hotel) was sufficient to keep the butter refrigerated. But I digress.

We would have loved to have curled up in front of that roaring fire that is advertised. The one they promise burns in the hearth day and night. Sadly, we couldn't, because we didn't bring our own fire wood, which is apparently a requirement for aforementioned fire.

Sadly, we couldn't go out, either, because as one of the many scolding signs posted by management throughout the hotel told us, we would be hugely inconveniencing the staff/owners/whatever if we were planning on going somewhere and returning to the hotel after 8 pm.

And so, we went up to our room and huddled under the one blanket the provided. Creaky beds, thin walls and creaking floorboards prevented any further activities that might keep us warm. It's okay though, they made up for it for the complete and total lack of anything to keep us entertained. Fortunately, we'd brought books. And lots of clothing to layer on. We slept in it. No - we didn't "sleep" in it so much as passed a restless night in a stinky, creaky, floopy bed.

Ahh...morning. Thank goodness there was the shower. Oh - wait. The shower. It alternated hot and cold. Not just a little hot. Not just a little cold. Scalding. Freezing. In about five second bursts. The scolding sign in the bathroom also told us that if we MUST have heat in the bathroom, we would need to make sure to turn it off as soon as we left so that the next person entering the bathroom could freeze their buns off, as well. They made up for that all, however, with the cleanliness of the bathrooms. Oh wait - not true. I've been in frat houses with cleaner bathrooms.

After applying salve to soothe the burns from the shower and layering in several sweaters and jackets to ease the chill from the same shower - as well as the chill in the air throughout the hotel, we headed out the front door, looking to see if all of the region was as hostile as the Tokeland staff, or if it was unique just to the hotel. I am happy to report that it was unique to the hotel.

When we returned to the hotel that afternoon, we were greeted cheerfully. It was all I could do to not stop and say, "wait - what? Are YOU talking to ME?" It was a different person. She was lovely, although her dog was chained up in the kitchen. Isn't that a health code violation? Sadly, the nice lady and her sous chef, the dog, were only there for a short time before the hostile ones were back.

I wouldn't recommend the Tokeland Hotel to anyone. Ever. Well - maybe as a reform school, but if you are looking for a relaxing vacation where you are treated as a valued customer, this isn't the place for you. You'd be better off pitching a tent at a local campground. If, however, you are looking for a vacation that smacks of a Dickensian orphanage, then the Tokeland Hotel is the place for you. Go. Get abused. Get no sleep. Follow the rules. You'll love it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
5 Thank PeaceOut69
Washington State
Reviewed 3 September 2008

I feel bad writing this. We had visited the Tokeland Hotel before, just to eat, and I have always wanted to stay there. It's a beautiful old building that sits out in the open, looking grand. There is a ghost, named Charlie, that they say still comes around in a friendly way.
My daughter and I recently stayed for two nights at the TH. Unfortunately, it was not such a great experience. Our room had a strong, unpleasant odor; it smelled like sewage. When we finally tracked down someone who worked there (no one is at the desk after 8 p.m.), he came upstairs and offered to open the window. We asked if we could switch rooms, and he summoned the "day manager," a very unfriendly person. She told us we could switch, but by then we had gotten enough breeze flowing through, and decided to stay. When I mentioned it to the desk person the next morning, she said that they had gotten a lot of complaints about a smell. Why no offer to reduce the price of the room, or an offer to stay for free the next time? On the day that we left, there was an excavation going on in the yard, and I'm wondering whether there was a problem with the septic system.
Aside from that, our room had not been cleaned thoroughly at all. Actually, it looked like the floor hadn't been cleaned around the edges for a very long time. One of the faucets in our (shared) bathroom didn't work. And the resident cats made their way in and out of the closed kitchen after hours by jumping through a pass-through that was stacked with "clean" bowls. The cats had to walk through the face-up bowls to get where they wanted to go.
I could go on about the unfriendly staffers, and the other dirty parts of the hotel, but let's get to good parts.
We like the creakiness of the floorboards, and the idea that Charlie was around. The restaurant was pretty good, and our breakfast waitress was very nice. The TH is very dog-friendly, and we were able to bring our little dog with us. The price is right.
I hope that the Tokeland Hotel doesn't close. The historic building is lovely, if undermaintained. There are beautiful beaches nearby. I just wished they cared about their customers.

• Liked — The historic building, the price.
  • Disliked — Horrible odor, unhelpful staff, dirty.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank leilagorbman
olympia
Reviewed 6 June 2008

This was our second time at the Tokeland hotel and it was wonderful. We have only stayed in rooms 1 & 2 - they are our favorites. The only sounds came from the birds outside the windows.
The food is awesome, especially the crab Benedict. The employees are warm and friendly.

• Liked — Very pet friendly!
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kacyOlympia
Oakland, California
Reviewed 26 May 2008

A friend and I spent a night at the Tokeland Hotel while on a driving tour of SW Washington. Staying at the hotel is a mixed experience--in some ways charming, and in others...not so much...The building is a large woodframe structure, just off of a point into Willapa Bay. You can't see the water from the Hotel, but it's within easy walking distance. There are 18 rooms, and perhaps four bathrooms--which seemed adequate, though the hotel wasn't full. Decor is quaintly old-fashioned--beds with springs, patchwork quilts, etc. Rooms are quite small--as seems typical for the time period. The host and hostess are nice people, but might be overwhelmed but the task of running a hotel. Nothing was quite clean--cobwebs, not quite clean bathrooms, etc. And even within the context of a historical hotel, it seemed like some updating is in order. Our waitress for both dinner and breakfast either needed a long vacation or a new job--she was angry and unfriendly. Food was GOOD--oysters, salmon, etc--definitely worth the trip. Guests should enjoy animals--there was a nice dog in the lobby throughout our stay, and a ginger cat interviews each guest to determine which bed to sleep in for the night. (He didn't chose me :(...). I am not sorry I stayed there--it was an interesting experience, but wouldn't hurry back, either.

• Liked — the food was quite good
  • Disliked — the dirty bathroom and the waitress
  • Stayed May 2008
bothell
Reviewed 10 March 2008

Our intention was to stay for two nights, however we made it only one. Upon arrival, all was well, until we walked through the front door. People skills and customer service were not at there best-actually were non-existent. The bathrooms were filthy, and we felt rushed to eat our dinner. Our dinner reservation was at 7:30 and they closed at 8pm - I mean closed! Everyone just disappeared. If you wanted to stay out past 8pm, you needed to make special arrangements to get back into your room. We felt like we were staying at someone grandparents house. The nostalgia was good - quite on the money. Would we go back? Maybe if we had a handful of people to rent out all 18 rooms and it was Halloween night! Boo!

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — arriving
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hillbilly_delux
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tokeland
Westport Inn
Best Western Lighthouse Suites Inn
Quality Inn - Ocean Shores
Quality Inn - Ocean Shores
#6 of 14 in Ocean Shores

Been to Tokeland Hotel? Share your experiences!