“Excellent waitstaff and wonderful food!”

Pellegrino's Italian Kitchen
Ranked #3 of 50 Restaurants in Tumwater
Price range: US$6 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Olympia, Washington
“Excellent waitstaff and wonderful food!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I am part of a group of "seniors" that goes out to lunch once a month. This was our July choice and it was a great one. We ate outside under umbrellas, perfect. You have three seating options, outside, on their main floor and they also have a second floor area as well. Being a nice day, we decided to go outside. We all had something different, not a complaint amongst us! My choice was one of the "lunch" specials and I had fettuccine alfredo that included a roll and choice of soup or two types of salad - house or Caesar's. I had soup as I love their minestrone, the other option was broccoli cheese which also sounded very good. You get balsamic vinegar and olive oil to dip your roll in. We had the greatest waiter I've had in ages! He was friendly, knew the menu inside and out, picked great wines for the ladies that had wine with their meal and was attentive without "hovering". Enjoyed our visit 100%. Parking is a little difficult if you go during lunch hour but we had no trouble as we eat at 1 PM.

• Visited July 2014

“Tasty food and delightful service!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Was given a gift card for pellegrino's. I had the Monte cristo that was awesome! And my husband had the special of the day which was the pasta diablo which he loved. The service was excellent very personable and held nice conversation. Food was great and eating alfresco was cool and comfortable.

• Visited May 2014
“Anniversary Dinner”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and I were going to celebrate our anniversary. She wanted Italian and was interested in trying a place new to us. This had good reviews on TripAdvisor so we thought we would try it.

We made a reservation. It was a Sunday evening and they were busy. They have an early bird special from 4 to 6 Sunday through Thursday. Since our reservation was for 6:30 the restaurant was pretty busy still due to the early crowd. There are two floors for dining. The upstairs appeared to be a little nicer to me. My wife had made a reservation to be upstairs. Initially they seated us in a corner away from the window. Not an ideal spot. The waitress knew that and moved us to a table by one of the windows. I recommend making a reservation to be upstairs near a window if you are calling ahead.

We ordered the Spinach Artichoke Dip appetizer. Wow, it was great. This was better than I expected. It was a generous amount for two people to share.

They had a special fresh green salad the day we were visiting. It had wonderful ingredients with walnuts and crumbled cheese as well as nice greens. We both thought that was excellent as well.

For an entree I ordered the Tour of Italy. The waitress apologized several times that our main course was taking so long (>30 minutes from the appetizer.) It turned out that the cook burned my Chicken Parmesan the first time so they had to do it over. I have to admit that after the excellent appetizer and salad, and a roll that they also brought with the salad, I was not that hungry by the time the entree finally came. I was not as impressed with the main course as I had been with the food up until that time.
My wife got the Gnocchi with Mediterranean Pesto. She enjoyed it quite a bit though she found the sauce to be a little heavy.

We both had had plenty to eat by then so we did not look at the dessert menu.

Because of the delay in getting our entrees served the manager knocked 30% off our bill! (We did not ask for any special treatment and in fact we were enjoying the evening so we were not particularly put out by the slow service.) The price of the food was quite reasonable even before that.
Service was otherwise reasonably good. They were busy and the waitstaff were obviously working hard. They were not so good at attending to the little things like keeping the water glasses full.

Overall I liked the food, especially the Spinach Artichoke appetizer and the green salad which was a special offering. Service had a few problems but did not detract from the meal. I recommend sitting upstairs by a window if possible.

• Visited June 2014
Ukiah, California
“Perfectly Acceptable”
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Despite the generally good reviews on Trip Advisor locals suggested we might be disappointed, but we decided to give them a try. We had a perfectly acceptable dinner. To be fair this wasn't the best Italian cuisine we have ever had, but we have had much worse. What would really take them to the next level is freshly made pasta even if only as a nightly special. Given the quality of what they now offer this should be within their grasp. Service was efficient and friendly our server heard we were staying at a local motel that had a special deal with them which we didn't know and applied the discount to our bill without being asked. And take a wrap it was cool in the dinning room. I was glad we gave Pellagrino's a try. Suggest you do to.

Visited June 2014
Olympia, Washington
“Pleasant ambiance; food is a mixed bag”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I dined twice at Pellegrino's in May 2014: once with a friend and once with my husband. Once my dinner was very good; once it was so-so. On my first trip, I had Chicken Marsala, and it was truly excellent. The chicken was pounded to the correct thinness, and moist and tender. The marsala sauce was excellent and coated the mushrooms and fettucine delightfully. It was served with sauteed vegetables that were fresh and still a little crunchy--not overcooked, just right. I took half of this home in a box and contined to enjoy it the next day. On my second trip I had Chicken Cannelloni, which was much less successful. I was wary of the menu description of the cannelloni being topped with "alfredo and marinara" sauces. Alfredo sauce is a bit much for me, but I thought it would be a modest amount--wrong! The cannelloni was covered primarily in alfredo sauce, with a small amount of marinara in the middle. If you like alfredo sauce (and aren't worried about your arteries), this may not bother you. The chicken in the cannelloni is in fairly large chunks. True cannelloni is made from finely ground meat (usually pork and/or veal), not chunks, and sports red sauce and bechamel sauce--not alfredo sauce. No sign of bechamel sauce on this menu. Since no side veges are served with cannelloni, I ordered a garden salad, which was fairly undistinguished: reasonable greens of romaine and maybe something else, but other than that mostly black olives (they looked like the kind that come in a can) and large white-bread croutons. The house Italian dressing was so-so. I would pass on the garden salad on my next visit. Both times I dined here, my companion ordered the Sausage a la Forno, and both enjoyed it: sausage, tri-color pasta, with good vegetables cooked into the dish; tossed with marinara sauce; topped with cheeses; browned in the oven. The first time I dined, the bread served was excellent. The second time we were served rolls which were okay, but not as good as the bread. Both were served with olive oil/ balsamic vinegar. We did not try the desserts. The wine list seems good. I tried the Private Lable pinot grigio on one visit and the Masciarelli Montepulciano on the other--quite thoroughly enjoyed both. The wine list has good variety and the prices are reasonable. The restaurant ambiance is of a comfortable, family-run establishment, with attentive and friendly service. We did not make reservations, and they were not needed: one time was a Friday evening; the other a weekday evening. Both times I was there, the air conditioning was in overdrive, so wear a warm sweater.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank MaryFromOly
Pam P, Owner at Pellegrino's Italian Kitchen, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. It looks like you were pretty pleased over all with your restaurant experience, but had issues with the cannelloni and the bread. I'm sorry you did not like our cannelloni. I understand you are used to ground meat in the filling, but our version has the cubed chicken. Most of our customers do like it that way. As far as the sauce, you can request a little sauce, just one kind of sauce, sauce on the side, or no sauce. We try to accommodate our customers' wishes.

We have gone to a new style of bread, which has been accepted very well by our regular clientele. I do hope you will give us another try. It looks like your first experience was a good one. Hopefully your next one will be good as well.