“Hmmmm....this doesn't cut it.”
Review of 316 Bistro

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
316 Bistro
Ranked #36 of 50 Restaurants in Tumwater
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I don't know, maybe I went on a bad night. Walking in the door I was greeted with, "sit anywhere you want" called from across the room. I didn't want to sit "anywhere," I wanted to sit at a (hopefully nice) table that I had reserved. After sitting down it took ten minutes to get any kind of attention. Disappointing. I tried the house salad, and the dressing was w-a-y too sweet. The French onion soup had a small island of goopy cheese floating in it. All it needed was some miniature palm trees planted on it. The jalapeno mac and cheese was like rubber. The New York strip with blue cheese was decent. Finally! Overall I was very unimpressed. It's too bad.

1  Thank The_Style_Guy
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We met some friends at this new restaurant in Tumwater. It’s in a house that has been converted into a restaurant. There were quite a few people there despite the hidden location. Our friends had eaten there the previous week and told us the food was really good. We got to sit by the fireplace, which was helpful since every time the front door opens the chilly wind comes in. I hated going to the restroom because it was frigid in there.

The menu is split between sandwiches and entrees. All the choices sounded great. My wife ordered the black forest ham sandwich with Gruyere cheese and Dijon mustard. I ordered a turkey, Brie and apple Panini. Our friends also ordered sandwiches, one having a half sandwich with a bowl of French onion soup. She said that the soup was excellent. The bistro carries Olympia beer on tap, plus a number of other beers. We visited while we had drinks. The room is noisy since there is nothing to absorb sound.

The sandwiches were quite large. My wife ate only half of hers. It had very good flavor (how can you go wrong with black forest ham?). As a bonus, two days later the bread was not soggy and I ate the leftover sandwich right out of the refrigerator. My Panini was delicious, though the apple slices tended to slide out. The only disappointment was the plain fries. My wife thought they had no taste, so she only ate a few, which says a lot. The bistro offers fries with toppings, so that may be a better option.

For dessert I tried the vanilla ice cream with a raspberry and balsamic vinegar swirl. It was a very large serving and delicious. The balsamic added some tang and kept the raspberry from being too sweet. Our friends ate their entire meal plus dessert and happily moaned about being too stuffed for the rest of the evening.

I was surprised how long we were there. I had expected that since we had ordered sandwiches that we’d be out quickly. So, I don’t know how fast this place would be for lunch, but we will definitely go back, but will probably split a sandwich.

1  Thank Cake_of_Liberty