“AniChe Cellars has it all!!!”
Review of AniChe Cellars

AniChe Cellars
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Underwood
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We make wines with an eye to European tradition with a particularly Washington State sense of terroir and style. Our wines are almost entirely varietal blends, believing that wine varietals are very much like people and dogs, with an egalitarian mixing up of characteristics to create interesting nuances and surprising complexity and beauty (think Halle Berry, mutts and Bordeaux). Our fruit comes from Washington state’s plethora of renowned AVA’s, including our very own Columbia Gorge AVA. We are currently closed for the winter season and will reopen February 2016. Our Hood River location is open Thursday through Monday.
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I am the owner of a very small winery tour business, WineDirt.com. I nearly always end my tours on a high note at AniChe Cellars! They meet all three of my criteria for visitation! They have a killer view of the Gorge, they have a friendly staff, and great wines! They also retain a cozy atmosphere, whether they are pouring tastes in the winery or in the yert! Maren, wine tasting manager, sometimes provides comic relief for us, and Rachel, winemaker and owner, will sometimes be on hand to add what she calls, "geeky winemaking comments"! If you have a question, they will answer it! My tours would not be complete without a visit to AniChe Cellars!!!

There are newer reviews for AniChe Cellars

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Rachael Horn is one of THE BEST winemakers in the Gorge! The view of the Gorge from AniChe Cellars is next to none!! Great place, great wine, and great people

1  Thank Clgsquare
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I had heard some good things about the AniChe Winery and wines so I was looking forward to tasting there with 5 friends. The server arranged 6 glasses and 6 plates on the bar and explained to the 4 of us present that each tidbit on the plate was to be paired with a wine being poured. I was impressed. Unfortunately the remainder of our group did not hear the pairing explanation and 1 nibbled on her snacks with the first pour. Did the server who watched her finish her plate stop her or replace her empty plate with a full plate and the required explanation? No, she simply removed the empty plate and poured everyone the next wine. I was not impressed. After the tasting we were told that the $5 tasting fee would only be waived if we purchased $50 of wine. Most wineries will waive the tasting fee if you purchase a single bottle of wine. I liked several of the wines, but the lack of customer service and unfriendly rigidness will send me to other local wineries. Visit Marchesi Winery in Hood River if you want to be spoiled by staff who know the meaning of customer service.

rachaelahorn, Owner at AniChe Cellars, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

We are so sorry to hear that you feel you had poor customer service at our winery. This is a first for us. Our tasting room staff is friendly and welcoming and has never been accused of offering poor service. It appears that your obvious rancor was fueled by two points; the plate of food pairings was not replaced when Maren perceived that it had been eaten prematurely, and we charge a tasting fee.

On the first point, our food pairings are not meant to be snacks, rather, they are meant to convey an example of how the wines might pair with different kinds of food. We offer cheese plates for consumption on our menu for guests who are hungry, but our small plates are amuse bouche, not snacks. If you would have asked for a second plate, Maren would have happily given you another.

Second, we charge tasting fees for wine tasting. We only offer free wine tasting, or fees waived with a purchase for wine club members and their guests and on special events like open houses or for special offers. We offer food pairings and a glass and a half of wine for $5, which we feel is a nominal fee and a great value. We have signage in the winery and on the tasting sheets stating our fees, as well as on our website and all other media.

I am the owner and winemaker of AniChe Cellars and I would love to discuss the parameters of wine pricing and tasting fees as well as any other customer service issue with you over a glass (on me!) Our excellent reputation in the community and with our guests is important to us and we are happy to address any issues that might come to light!

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Quaint spot for wine tasting and nice views but this place does not reimburse you the tasting fee if you buy a bottle. You have to buy 50$ worth of wine and then you'll get reimbursed for one tasting. So if you are with your spouse or friend and you spend the money you'll still have to pay for one tasting. Their reason is that they provide you with the food.......not much more than a nibble of different tid bits to go along with the different pours. Literally a tiny piece of cheese with a piece of quince on top, 2 almonds, a tiny piece of salami with a piece on top and one chocolate covered raisin. And if you happen to miss the fact that you need to save this for each additional wine pouring, forget it there will be no more. Between our group we bought at least 6 bottles and some of us still had to pay for tastings. Poor customer service in my opinion.. Go over to Marchesi Vineyard in Hood River for a real treat!!

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Good wine & fun tasting experience. They even serve small food pairings with your tasting. $5 tasting fee. It was a beautiful sunny day so they did our wine tasting outside on the picnic tables. Great views & we really enjoyed this winery.

1  Thank sier