“Wonderful Stay at the Alderbrook Resort”

and 1 more site!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Union
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed at the Alderbrook Resort for our 35th Anniversary get away. We stayed in one of the waterview rooms. It was extremely nice; such a relaxing, charming place with wonderful water and mountain views. The staff was great. The two resident cats in the beautiful lobby were an added plus!
I would highly recommend this beautiful place to anyone.

Room Tip: Definitely stay in a room with a water view. So worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Wow-congrats on 35 years jensteph! Thank you for choosing our property for your romantic getaway to celebrate such a momentous milestone. Our cats, Alder and Brook say congratulations as well. :)

Cheers to many wonderful years to come!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

My wife and I had a gift certificate to Alderbrook which brought us out to Union, WA. The trip over is very enjoyable as you can take the ferry from Seattle to Bremerton and drive the rest of the way. Very scenic and a majority of the drive is along the water. We stopped by a few state parks along the way which added to the adventure.

The resort is in a very scenic location. The grounds are kept up nicely and the main lodge is beautiful. The first night we stayed in one of the cabins located in the loop of cabins next to the main building. It was fun to our own place, but the walls are very thin and since all the cabin buildings have 2 or 3 rooms, you'll definitely hear your neighbors. Toilet flushing and chairs scraping along the tile are probably the worst of it. I can definitely see how fun it would be if you were staying with a big group of people and reserved a few cabins together.

The second night we stayed in a room on the top floor, facing towards the spa. I preferred the rooms in the main building actually as they had a spacious layout and felt much more updated.

We didn't use the pool as it was very crowded with kids. It's nice that there are 'adult hours' at the pool at least. The pool house is definitely an eye sore compared to the rest of the grounds. Especially when you're on the dock taking pictures of the resort from the water-side.

What I didn't enjoy about this resort was the cost of food and activities. I felt like I was getting nickled and dimed if I wanted to do activities like take kayaks out on the lake. You'd think that if a property were on the water, there would be kayaks, paddleboards and other activities included in the cost of staying, rather than being an additional charge. I wasn't very pleased with the food either, as two of my meals were not cooked to order. Specifically, I had a hamburger overcooked and then eggs undercooked. Overall I'm not sure food is a big selling point for the resort.

We did enjoy the short trails nearby. If you're visiting during the summer months, you can spot jellyfish and the resident seal when you're out on the docks. Also, I highly recommend visiting the Union Country Store if you venture into Union.

Room Tip: If you're in a big group then you'll want to rent the cabins. If it's just you and your...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of our property Lee A. We're so glad that you took the "scenic route" from Seattle to Bremerton and that you were able to enjoy the trails, waterfront, grounds as well as both our cabins and guest rooms. The Union Country Store is a great spot nearby; hopefully you were able to enjoy some Olympic Mountain Ice Cream or some of their fresh bread with seafood dip! While we do charge for watercraft rentals to cover costs, we do offer many complimentary activities for guests and the community in order to really add value to the guest experience. We're sorry to hear that you didn't feel this hit the mark. We have received and shared your feedback with our management team and hope that you will consider returning to experience our property in the future. If you'd like to discuss this further please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly at: kathryn.kamin@alderbrookresort.com

Have a wonderful end to the summer,

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We did not stay in the hotel but on a boat in the Marina,used the Spa (fabulous) and dined at the restaurant. I bought a few things in the gift shop and was very pleasantly surprised at how helpful and courteous the staff was...Check in was busy in the lobby but it was certainly a very well organized type of mayhem. The restaurant was a little spendy...but worth it, GREAT bloody mary's! We golfed at the Alderbrook golf course too. It was a great trip and I look forward to going back and actually staying in the hotel.

1  Thank denise11164

Thank you or sharing your positive experience of our property denise11164! How fun to visit us from the water-then shop, golf and dine! Glad you enjoyed the crab garnish on our bloody mary's it's pretty fantastic! :)

Have a wonderful end of the summer and we'll see you again soon,

Reviewed 28 August 2013

We just left alderbrook after 2 nights in a 1 bedroom cottage (#3). We had a great view of the water. Let me say that the resort celebrates their 100th anniversary this year, so it just doesn't look like a brand new, super spiffy place. It reminds me of that resort in Dirty Dancing. That said, it was peaceful and quiet, and we enjoyed ourselves. We cooked in the cottage since we had read how expensive the restaurant is, and there really aren't many other places to go!!! The spa was nice, and I had both a massage and facial, and walked out feeling light as a feather!! Both technicians were very nice and personable. I was not fond of the bed and just felt it is getting close to replacement.

1  Thank Fsulaw1
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

We totally agree that our property has that nostalgic feeling of Dirty Dancing Fsulaw1! Our management team thanks you for celebrating our centennial with us and for taking the time to share your experiences of our cottages and spa.

Have a wonderful summer!

Directory of Marketing

Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed at Alderbrook last weekend. I had just come off a really busy four weeks at work and was really looking forward to some family time and lots of rest. My husband and I traveled with our almost-two-year-old son.
First, this place has a great set-up for kids. We stayed in one of the one-bedroom cottages, and right in front of the cottages is a big open area with a volleyball net and lots of fun games. Our son loved playing ball there. Would be really great for older kids, too -- the parents can sit on the porch and watch the kids play right there.
The service in the restaurant was great -- really nice waitresses.
However, our stay was marred by some really terrible customer service by hotel staff on the last night. When we were eating dinner, we saw a group of people heading out to the dock with cartloads of fireworks -- serious, professional fireworks. I went over to the front desk to ask what was going on, and they said a wedding happening on the grounds had fireworks. OK, that's cool, but... Turns out the fireworks were at 10:45.
Now, don't get me wrong. If my husband and I were on our own, or if our son was older, this would have been a bonus. But getting a 2-year-old to sleep isn't always easy, and he also wakes us up reliably at 6 am every morning. So this was less than ideal. I got a shrug and a "sorry" from the folks at the front desk when I said this, but that was it.
That night we were predictably woken up at 10:45 to the fireworks. I called the desk to ask how long they'd go on. Five minutes, they said, and that was true and totally fine. We all got back to sleep afterward.
Not long after, we were awoken again, this time by the fireworks guys parked about five feet from our bedroom window, loading up their truck. This must have been close to midnight, although I didn't look at the clock. This really upset me, because this was really something that should have been planned ahead of time by the hotel. I called, got another "sorry," then a manager called back and said she'd come over and check it out. She did, and then apologized and said she'd take money off the bill.
Let me back up here and say that I think it's really great to give people the wedding of their dreams. But I think a hotel like this, which is not cheap (we paid $450 plus tax for the last night we were there -- $350 after the noise complaint discount they gave us) should be a bit more proactive about keeping ALL their guests happy. It would have been nice to get a heads up about the fireworks, and a gesture like offering families free breakfast or something to make up for the disturbance would have gone a long way.
But as it happened, I complained to at least three different people before I was taken seriously. It sort of felt like dealing with customer service at an airline -- lots of empty "sorrys" but no real action to make a customer happy, or make up for the shortcomings of the stay. I know they finally did give us a discount, but for a two-day stay that totaled upwards of $1,500 (we got massages, ate at the restaurant and got room service), that was really the very least they could do.
A few notes about the cottage: It was nicely laid out and very functional with kids, and had great views. But again, for the price, it was pretty tired. It smelled horrible when we got there -- really musty. Things have been updated here and there, but the furniture seemed very old and there wasn't quite that luxury you expect from a place like this.

Room Tip: Try to book a cottage that backs up to the hotel rather than the road. It can be really loud in the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

We're so glad that you were able to enjoy your experience in our restaurant KatieCcccc. We apologize that the wedding festivities disrupted your stay and have shared your feedback with our entire management team. Thank you for expressing your concerns during your stay so that we could address them while you were on property and work to make it right by you. If you'd like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to shoot me an email at: kathryn.kamin@alderbrookresort.com.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

A nice place for a weekend getaway, especially for some relaxation with friends and family. The resort is right on the water, with a pool, places to eat, spa, and lots of outdoor activities. You can rent kayaks (25/hour for a single) or visit the spa, fitness center or pool. The pool is near the lake and beautiful. There are outdoor places to relax (a patio with food, or around an outdoor fireplace). They have a games center for kids, and a decent complimentary DVD library.

Nearby, we went to the Robin Hood pub which was average. We also rented kayaks and went to the nearby State Park (where you need a Discover Pass) and hiked.

The food at the resort is decent but nothing spectacular. I would suggest to get a cottage and maybe prepare your own meals? The dinner prices are not cheap. Breakfast was decent.

Views are amazing.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Shiv G
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

How wonderful that you enjoyed our property and the surrounding area with your friends and family ShivG81! Kayaking is such a wonderful way to experience the Hood Canal. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We have shared this experience with our management team and will regard both the positive and constructive feedback for future planning.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

I have only stayed in the cottages, but I have stayed several times and love them. The cottages are cute, private, quiet and well stocked. The location is fabulous; it is quiet, relaxing and the views are breathtaking. It is definitely a get away, there is not a lot to do as far as activities. This is a place to go to get away from it all, sit back and just relax. There are plenty of water sports to enjoy though and a nice pool. I would ask if there is a large group or wedding when you plan to visit, as it is a small resort and that can interfere with relaxing as it gets crowded. Most of the staff here are excellent - although sometimes the front desk seems a little off on their register practices. Overall, a great place to rejuvenate and enjoy a beautiful natural setting.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank sctsdlmom
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

We're so glad that you enjoy our cottages and water activities sctsdlmom! Glad to hear that you can "sit back and relax" as well as enjoy the scenery when you are here.

Alderbrook Resort & Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Union
Robin Hood Village Resort
Best Western Wesley Inn & Suites
The INN at Gig Harbor
The INN at Gig Harbor
#2 of 5 in Gig Harbor

Been to Alderbrook Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!