“Beautiful location - a little disorganized and random though”

and 1 more site!
Alderbrook Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Union
Gig Harbor, Washington
“Beautiful location - a little disorganized and random though”
Reviewed 2 January 2010

You cannot beat this view and the beautiful grounds. The destination is gorgeous.

The bar food is delicious too - my husband thoroughly enjoyed his Kobe burger ($15). That said, we were there around 4 p.m. on New Year's Eve, and after we'd already ordered our drinks the waiter came back and informed us they weren't doing happy hour because it was a holiday. It was a small difference on our bill but it would have been nice to know beforehand.

We booked a King Canal View room and when we arrived at the room assigned to us, it had two queens. It was 3:50 p.m. and check-in is 4 p.m. so I was surprised to find out they had no more King Canal Views available. Turns out the one we were supposed to stay in had a broken bed (??). The front desk took care of us though and talked to management, and they took care of us to our satisfaction. Stephanie was extremely friendly and graceful under pressure, even as I was somewhat upset about the room mix-up. It looked like a few guests were waiting for their rooms, so she had a lot on her hands but handled it well. They even delivered a bottle of wine to our room after.

We love the pool, overlooking the water, and the hot tub was great too. The New Year's Eve party was a little different - there was a wedding going on downstairs so the "party" was in two connected small conference rooms. We decided to celebrate with a bottle of champagne in our room. Even though the room had two queen beds, it was still very nice and quite clean. The bath tub was huge and the fixtures were all high-end. Others have said the walls were thin, but we did not think it was that loud even on New Year's Eve.

Despite the snafus, we'll still come back here for sure.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 20 December 2009

We booked our trip for Thanksgiving weekend needing a respite and wanting to get away somewhere luxurious and beautiful. The Alderbrook certainly has promise, but it failed to deliver on many of the most basic service areas.

First, the good -- it really is as charming and beautiful as the photos online make it out to be. The fire pits were going, they'd brought in a tree for the holiday, and had the local high school band and choir on hand for a tree lighting the night we arrived. The hotel had gingerbread houses decorated by local children on display, and a mailbox to drop letters to Santa -- all of it very charming indeed. The rooms are gorgeous and the two rooms that I saw each had the lovely window box seat pictured on their website, so unlike some hotels that show a special feature only available in one room, I imagine the feature is in every room.

Now to the specifics of the stay.

1) I booked a mud bath and massage for Saturday morning. The day before we were due to arrive, the spa called me and said they'd made a mistake with the booking times and would I mind changing? Not off to a good start.

2) We arrived at about 3:30, a half an hour after check-in time starts. Our room wasn't ready, and we were told that they'd call us when it was -- great, if my cellphone could get a signal! So I found myself waiting in the lobby with several other guests who were also waiting for their rooms, and we finally were told we could check in at about 5:30. Two hours after we'd arrived.

3) Still, the room was amazing! Great view of the water, centered over the main dock and a lovely view. Large, quiet, everything you'd want. I began to relax...until the phone rang, and the front desk told us she'd given us the wrong room, and that she'd be moving us to another room, but not to worry, because "all the kings were the same." Uhm, if thats true, why are you moving us? It turns out she'd put us in their Olympic king and had to move us to a regular king. No comps, no, oops, our mistake but keep the upgrade, little in the way of apologies. So, after a 2 1/2 hour wait they gave us the wrong room.

3) The restaurant had excellent and attentive service. We had a lovely table, and the food was good. The filet was a very thick cut of meat though, so I had to send it back twice for them to turn "rare" into "medium" per my order. The management was very concerned and said they'd given me someone else's steak--they were quick to fix the problem and gracious about it. We did not use room service, but I was surprised at how very reasonably priced it was -- low enough to make me actually use it instead of being $25 for toast at most hotels!

4) My spa experience was fine, but again, there was another snafu. My mud bath was not prepared when I arrived, a regular bath was, so the attendant glopped some brown stuff in the water and asked me to swish it around....? The massage was excellent, and she did extra touches like wrap my feet in hot towels that enhanced the experience. I was not charged for the "soak" (it turns out the brown glop was herbal stuff, and not the mud I'd asked for anyway) which was nice. Really, if you are going to the spa and are staying at the hotel I would not advise paying for a soak. Bring your own favorite stuff from home and enjoy the awesome soaker tub in your room, and save the $50!

5) The room we DID check into was slightly smaller than the original "oops" one, but I liked the layout better anyway. It is set further back from the water though, but had a view of the grassy courtyard lawn area. The room had a tiny balcony overlooking the lawn (and Christmas tree!) with two small chairs. The AC there is a stand-up unit for each room, so I'd be curious how well it works in the summertime but the heat worked well enough for us. You have to pay for wi-fi access but the hardwire access is free, so if you want to sit on the bed and surf the internet bring a long cable. ;) Our only real complaint about the room is what others have mentioned -- the walls are thin! Not as bad as some hotels I've been to, but in a "resort and spa" where the room seems designed as a lovely place for you spend lots of time in, I really expected things to be much quieter! We ran the white-noise machine constantly (even at night) so as to drown out our neighbors from both sides, and it worked for the most part. Trying to sleep next to a noisy family or party would have been very miserable though, I'm quite sure.

Other than the problems I mentioned -- most of which were just due to employee mistakes and lack of training -- the resort is lovely. Bring your own groceries and wine, and keep the noise machine on and you'll be set for hours of quiet reading overlooking the lake. A friend is getting married there this summer, so we'll be back, and I hope this time our stay is without a hitch!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Redmond, WA
Reviewed 17 December 2009

Our famlily of 4 (10 and 7 yr old now) have visited Alderbrook once or twice a year for the last 5 years. We have also brought extended family and friends and everyone enjoys the mini vacation. Our kids have seen a baby seal on the dock, a gigantic orange jelly fish, all sizes of crabs and starfish. They love to swim in the indoor pool and warm up in the huge jacuzzi. I usually get a message at the spa and we have a nice dinner at the restaurant or bbq on the grills if we are in a cottage. I also take advantabe of the free steam room and sauna just off of the pool. I always say it's like camping in luxury. Everyone even gathers around the fire pits to roast marshmellows. It's the perfect quick getaway for everyone.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
port orchard
Reviewed 17 December 2009

i have to say this was the best anniversary weve ever had.hotel is very quiet and accommodating. the bar we did not visit.. but now the restaurant was another story.. the food good but our server was wonderful.she was very informative and acoomodating as we both have food allergies.the menu from what i understand is new. we are animal lovers and had the most wonderful conversation with our server about it as well as thier beautiful cat brook.KUDOS111 thanxs barbara ...anyway all was wonderful . next time well take our whole family...

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Western Washington
Reviewed 26 November 2009

My baby and I stayed for a weekend as part of a retreat. The accomodations are beautiful and very comfortable. However I was dissapointed in some aspects. There was no one to open the door and no offer of help when I came to check in carrying bags and a baby. One of the nights we were there, there was a large wedding and reception held down the hall. Children ran screaming up and down the halls (this was at night). We could also could hear the loud music and yelling guests from the reception. We called the front desk with little effect. I ended up closing the fire doors between us and the reception hall. After closing them several times (wedding guests kept reopening them so hey could wander the halls), it got quieter, only to have obviously drunk partiers wander outside and begin yelling. I was completely shocked that the hotel would permit this behavior to continue. When the wedding party died down, I was dismayed to find what a previous reviewer stated: the walls are paper thin and I could hear both the conversation and the tv from the next room (who were courteous and polite when I asked them to turn it down).
The lodge looks like great fun in the summer but for winter there isn't much to do if you are there with kids. There is a stream running through part of the property and the salmon were running while we were there- fun to watch for a little while. The nearest grocery store is half an hour away if you need something, though they did sell individual diapers at the front desk.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Laoshi2002
Washington
Reviewed 21 November 2009

After much debate my wife and i decided to stay at the Alderbrook Spa and Resort for our anniversary. Oh my gosh thank goodness we did. From the warm and friendly front desk staff. To the amazing guest rooms and accomadations. To the beautiful restaurant with a spectacular new dinner menu(much improved from our last visit) but to top it all off the couples spa treatment was absoulute heaven. Every staff member smiled and said hello and we felt like the stars of the resort. We will be back with our family next time. Alderbrook is a must do experience for everyone..........

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 17 November 2009

My Husband and I traveled to Washington from California and were celebrating a combination of events,,,my 50th, His Retirement and Our 25th. On the first leg of our vacation, We spent time at the Willows Lodge outside Woodinville. We had a wonderful experience at the Willows, the staff treated us like royalty and thoughtfully acknowledged our milestones. Unfortunately our experience at the Alderbrook was underwhelming. When we arrived, the room had a half empty bottle of wine and dirty wash cloth in the bathtub. We booked a package which included some activities, the day before our arrival, I received an email notifying us that the activities offered in our package would no longer be available. When I mentioned the changes to the desk clerk, she stated the room would be taken care of however, never offered an apology or a credit/adjustment for the canceled activities. Her poor customer service and lack of interest in her job was very disappointing. We are not the kind of people who re-negotiate something for nothing. With all the fine resorts available, we will stick with those who appreciate our patronage!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelDiva50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Union
Robin Hood Village Resort
Super 8 Shelton
Super 8 Shelton
#2 of 4 in Shelton
Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion

Been to Alderbrook Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!