“Calm, quiet, romantic...”

Alderbrook Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Union
Reviewed 15 September 2010

We love Alderbrook. We finally realized that this oasis is just 45 minutes from our home! We go for a night away from our kids, without traveling too far! We are always impressed with the service, cleanliness and comfort! The spa has been wonderful! The restaurant delicious! And the beds... we sleep, and sleep! Ahhhhh!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 September 2010

My husband and I headed to the resort for a short relaxing stay. It was very relaxing. We loved the grounds. We enjoyed our stay very much. Only problem was at the restaurant, the waitress almost completely ignored me in favor of my husband. Fancy food, rather expensive. Otherwise, a very nice trip.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2010

I read several reviews of Alderbrook before deciding to take my 85-year old mother there for a 3-day weekend. It is a lovely destination and I wish I could say I enjoyed it 100%, but I have to warn you -- if you want a relaxing summer weekend -- beware of large, loud wedding parties! Go mid-week or go off season and inquire ahead about any large parties that include a DJ and/or a band.

THE GOOD NEWS: The staff was excellent. All very personable, warm, friendly, welcoming and helpful and ultimately, when I registered my concern about the loud wedding party, they gave me a partial refund with no questions asked and a lot of grace and apologies. The food was great -- while we didn't opt for a full sit-down dinner menu, we found the bar menu right up our alley and the food and service was excellent. In fact, some of the best fish and chips I've ever had. We had a relatively small but clean and comfy room. If you need more room, opt for a suite or a cottage. The grounds were lovely, the setting incredible and we were prepared to settle in for 3 relaxing, stress-free days away from work, the city and some quiet time reading books etc.

THE WARNING: In the summer, Alderbrook has lots of weddings. On our first night there was a wedding. At 8:00 or so the DJ amped up the music to the point where we could barely stand it. Our room was not far from the "ballroom" where the larger wedding parties celebrate. It was deafening and went on until 11:00 p.m. We could barely hear our movie over the noise. I talked to the front desk the next morning -- inquired if there was another loud wedding party with music that night and they said "No, just a string quartet." I advised them that if there was another loud party planned, I wanted to check out. They said, "No," so I said, "No problem." But there WERE 3 or 4 weddings that day, including one big one late in the day. Everyone there was partying and so the place was full of loud, excited and celebrating (yelling from balconies, etc.) people. Fun for them -- not so much for people like me who had imagined a relaxing, restful weekend. Then that night the music strarted up again!!! Not a string quartet either. Another DJ, with much yelling by him and all the partyers and a thumping bass. When I went to discuss it with the front desk, they promptly apologized and offered to refund that night's charges.

On our 3rd night, one small quiet wedding. No band, no DJ and MUCH more relaxing.

Would I go back? YES, absolutely. The place was great and if there isn't a big loud party, it's lovely and relaxing. But if you are looking for a quiet, stress-free weekend -- I'd say go midweek, off-season and no matter what -- ask ahead if there is a party planned when you go.

Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Many people have rated this resort based on the simply awful restaurant. There is a separate listing for this and I have addressed our poor dining experience there.

As for the Resort--- we loved it. Stayed in a waterfront cabin and it is well worth the extra money. The view from the front deck is just great and how relaxing to sit out there with your icy homemade margarita in hand! The water and the mountains are gorgeous. It's not a meditative, retreat sort of resort-- it's more communal in nature. There are lots of people on the grounds and boat activity at the dock.

The kitchen was handy and provided everything we needed. Be sure to bring your own coffee and filters-- as the "honor bar" in the room is expensive-- but there's a regular coffee maker provided.

Service was good. Everything we requested we got with a smile. Air conditioning worked well during our hot spell. Bathroom was roomy enough for 4 of us. Beds were really firm and very comfortable.

A free morning kayak lesson was provided and it was led by an excellent teacher. Lots of dogs on the property and lots of kids. This is not an adults-only sort of resort. (kids pretty much take over the pool.) Big towels offered at the pool. Gym is pretty good with newish machines and several t.v. set-ups. Free WiFi.

If i had to pick flaws, there are not many places to lounge out in the sun. Also, newspapers are offered-- but not brought to the rooms. If you get to the lounge in the afternoon, they will be gone.

We had an amazing and relaxing 2 nights at the Alderbrook. Luckily, the person who planned the trip shopped well for us--- we brought lots of delicious food and enjoyed making meals in the cabin. We only had to suffer through 1 meal on the property-- so i do suggest you plan ahead and bring your own groceries!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2010

My wife and I and our two sons recently stayed at Alderbrook Resort on a whim. Just to get away for a few days and enjoy some quality time with eachother. We stayed in one of the cottages and they were wonderful. Everything we could have hoped for in comfort and value. The restaurante was great and the service was outstanding.
Our (young) teenagers had a great time swimming in the pool and playing volleyball and we all enjoyed sitting around the fire pits at night with smores. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2010

I recently stayed with my husband and two sons (8 and 5 years old) at Alderbrook. We enjoyed the grounds, room, and food. The staff was delightful. The boys loved playing on the beach and finding seashell treasures.
We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2010

MemorialDay..wow what a disappointment!Had to wait for our room..first off.So went to the lounge to wait and have a snack.Well sadly it only gets worse..the bartender..who by the way knows everything about everything..was curt and abrupt.Was not impressed to say the least.Finally got into our room..the view was lovely.Finally made it to dinner..server M......forgot our starter..not impressed ,maybe she thought we didn't need one since we had one in the
bar.Anyway food was..just ok.Fairly bland..never will spend the money again.. and to top it off the restaurant manager..umm,ill leave that one alone.

1  Thank fircrest
Also consider these accommodations in or near Union
Robin Hood Village Resort
#2 of 5 in Gig Harbor
Arcadia Romantic Getaway
Arcadia Romantic Getaway
#1 of 1 in Shelton

Been to Alderbrook Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!