“Uncomfortable bed, no shampoo, no hair dryer”
Review of Quartermaster Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vashon
Quartermaster Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 Vashon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 January 2012

On the plus side the breakfast was tasty. Your comfort seems directly tied to which room you are in. The rooms at either end of the hallway are larger and have better beds. The small rooms in the middle don't have the same amenities. Our bed was one of the most uncomfortable we have ever "slept" in, not much sleeping because of all the tossing and turning. Down the hall other guests were enjoying a sleep number mattress. Of course they had shampoo and a hair dryer in their room too.

Room Tip: Choose a room at either end up the upstairs hallway.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Johncj

Reviewed 25 December 2011

This was a Christmas gift from my other half and I didn't have a lot of time to spend so we found this place not far for us to enjoy. The room was very comfortable and with a little view of the bay. Dinner and breakfast were excellent. We enjoyed the owner and other guest. This place is more of a layed back and not alot to do unless you drove to town or a near by park. But if you just wanted a cozy romantic stay...this is perfect. This is a weathered seaside comfortable clean place with personality. Not some modern stiff boring place that I see some prefer in reading other reviews. We do alot of traveling all over the world and in different cultures you will pay a big price for what they feel is top. It is all in how you like to see the world and the adventures in the experience.

Room Tip: All of the upstairs rooms ( we peeked at all lol) are very nice.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kcope77355
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We researched this B&B on TripAdvisor and were prepared for some of the potential kinks mentioned by other reviewers. After staying there, we really liked the place. It's quaint and oldish but didn't feel run down to us at all. It's close to the island's busiest road (hardly a major highway :)) and has a limited water view, but it's within a short hike from a nice large park and access to the water .And being able to walk to an espresso stand and a couple of shops/galleries in town (Burton) makes up for it. The B&B doesn't have an extensive staff (at least not during the off-season), so you have to align your plans with their check-in times and process -- but on the laid-back island like Vashon it didn't seem like an issue to us. The owner, Troy, was very helpful and hospitable. The breakfast was very good and the restaurant is a pleasant space. We used a LivingSocial deal and didn't feel like we'd overpaid at all. The inn includes a lot of local touches into their package: tea from a local tea shop, local flowers, a daily pass to the Vashon Athletic club, a coupon for a (very good) local massage -- and we felt that this was a great deal. A bottle of wine was also included and our only nitpick was that it wasn't a local wine but a custom-label small-batch bottle from elsewhere in Washington State... not that big a deal at all. Oh, and they did have a hair dryer in our room and cable channels on TV, so it seems like the owners are listening to the feedback. All in all, we had a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: The room rates were the same with the Living Social deal, but on their website the "harbor&quo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ac_so
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Like others we used a livingsocial deal. I agree the innkeeper was friendy but strongly agree this place is run down and not worth the price.

We werent able to find anyone to check us in for a couple hours and the front door was locked the whole 2 days we were there. We were given a code to get into the building at the back but it's an ugly alleyway and we didn't realize the main entrance would always be locked. The room was hot and mattress had a big dip in the middle. The location is not near the water and is on a very loud highway. I was kept up all night and woke up early by the sounds of all the traffic and worst of all buses.

The meal in the morning was really good though, and was included with our deal.

They certainly tried hard to impress I think and i was happy to support a small local business but I would not recommend or be back.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Sweetpea016
Reviewed 25 July 2011

First, I have to tell you I am not a B&B person so my expectations may be unrealistic. My preference is a nice clean modern hotel with amenities. That being said, I was not impressed with our stay at the Quartermaster Inn. I had read all the previous reviews and expected more than I received. Yes, the host was very pleasant & friendly, and most of the other staff was nice but there were a few incidents that soured our stay. We returned from a Saturday morning visit with friends at a quarter to noon to find the front door locked. Surprised as I had been told it would be open to guests until 11PM, we walked around to the back and went in the back door to be greeted by a young woman with a vacuum cleaner who sharply told us “We are not open until 12” . We asked if we could just sit downstairs until they “opened” and she was less than hospitable. When I mentioned we were guests of the inn she allowed we could sit out in the patio. Once she led us outside she then locked the patio door behind us! Not the warm friendly atmosphere I was led to expect.

The Inn itself leaves a bit to be desired. Old I understand, but this was not entirely clean. I don’t like dusty windowsills or expect a waterfall when I take out the shower mat in the bathtub. The fact that the housekeeper “forgot” to make up our room the next day was also a minus. The grounds are disheveled and neglected. Some care and a few hours of garden time could go along way. It also might not be a bad idea for the owners or staff to do a doggie doo patrol of the sidewalk on a daily basis.

The bed was uncomfortable, storage was almost non existent, and noise level for an island retreat was a bit much.

On the plus side, the salad I had for lunch was wonderful.

We paid full price, no Living Social or Groupon coupons offered when we reserved, The Quartermaster is overpriced and underdone. I will not be recommending this B&B to my friends.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Frida58
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Like many others, we stayed here based on the purchase of a Living Social deal. I had never been to Vashon Island and thought this would be a good opportunity to check it out. They did not disappoint! The deal included dinner, breakfast, and movie tickets for 2, along with the room. So the value was great!

We weren't sure what to expect in terms of meals, but they didn't disappoint. We both loved our dinner (Chicken Cordon Bleu), really enjoyed the live music they had in the restaurant that evening and even closed down the place. The owners were fun! They chatted with us well into the evening and were very friendly! They are doing a great job filling many staff positions themselves.

As for breakfast the owner was the server and the cook, and again everything was great! Food was delicious and prompt. For breakfast I had a typical 2 egg breakfast (but with the best breakfast potatoes I have had in a long time) and my boyfriend had cinnamon roll french toast (YUM!) These are very real people who clearly enjoy what they are doing.

As for the inn and accommodations, it may not be how I would decorate my house, but in the big picture the rooms were good size, comfortable and everything we needed (including a hair dryer in the vanity). Beds were very comfortable, I had a little difficulty sleeping with the cars outside (not many and I am a light sleeper) my boyfriend didn't notice them at all.

All in all this is a great place and if Vashon had more things to do I could see us coming back more often. We had a great time driving the island and checking things out, the small town of Vashon is cute but small. I would definitely recommend this place to friends and family!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank funtimes33
Reviewed 28 October 2010

My wife surprised me with a stay here for my 30th birthday. She got the deal that many people obtained through either GroupOn or Living Social. Either way, it did turn out to be an excellent deal. The place is a nice little place on Vashon Island, where I hadn't been since childhood. The owners and staff were very friendly, the food was excellent (especially breakfast!), and the rooms were more than adequate.

I would suggest offering hairdryers in the rooms (I distinctly recall saying, "don't pack your hairdryer. They'll have one!!" only to eat my words). I might also suggest ditching the Number Bed. In all honesty, I was excited to try it out, but it didn't really do it for me. That is of course totally a matter of opinion.

The owners are fairly new, from what I gathered, but they are doing a great job. I encourage folks to give the Quartermaster a chance.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JoshuaandMelissa

Been to Quartermaster Inn? Share your experiences!