“Very Good, But Could Have Been Better”

Ramada Spokane Valley
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Veradale
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I find myself in Spokane, WA, quite often...sometimes on business, but mostly for pleasure. Having been born and raised in the area, I'm quite familiar with the Lilac City, and all its quirks and intricacies. My latest venture was during the winter of 2012 (specifically, January). At least a foot of snow on the ground, treacherous driving (with more on the way)...but I digress.

This Ramada is located just off Interstate 90 (and a few blocks from where I attended my very first Star Trek Convention about 25 years ago). The front desk staff here was very accomodating, even going so far as to ask me, "Will a room on the second floor be all right?" Hey, I'm not picky...I've slept in a lot of hotels and motels across the country...Spokane's no different than, say, Peoria, IL, or Kearney, NE, Sioux Falls, SD, or even Billings, MT.

I checked in with no problem, received my room "keys" (electronic locks with cards that had an advertisement for a local pizzeria :D ), then went upstairs to my room. I go to my room in the main building, and I notice it's pretty cold. Turning on the heat to let the room warm up took awhile (remember, it's the middle of winter, so of course it's going to take a bit...had to figure out the correct heat setting). The room looks great, everything looks and smells pretty clean, it's also quite a bit larger than what I'm used to (which, for me, is a bonus. I could almost put two queen-sized beds from one of the "numbered" motels in this room alone.) The bathroom, for instance, feels like the one at home, not like one that was seemingly added as an afterthought.

Access to shopping was very easy...two malls within walking distance (if you chose to do so, that is), a plethora of services nearby (two gas stations, a few restaurants, banks, ATMs, etc., also within walking distance). Of course, being the big city Spokane is, all the major entertainment venues are downtown...about 10 miles or so. I had to go take care of my errands, but when I got back, I had a nice toasty-warm room just in time to go downtown to attend a convention/dinner I'd paid for months in advance.

They also take security at the motel very seriously...I counted no less than six security cameras in the hallways. Of course, I never travel anywhere without packing heat, so it was reassuring to know if there were any unsavory charlatains on the property, their antics would have been caught on camera long before I ever had to turn on my laser sight.

The drawback to this excursion was the internet, or, more accurately, the lack of it. It was explained to me that this particular Ramada used Dish Network for their internet access. I was re-connecting to their service more than I was actually using it (about every 10 minutes), not to mention the poor to non-existent signals I was getting. I'd even asked the nice young lady at the front desk to reset the router, which worked briefly. Overall, though, I really wasn't there to surf the 'net, but having a reliable connection so I could update my social network status and upload the pictures from the show I had taken would have made this trip much better. I did suggest to the management that they drop Dish Network and go to good old cable (which is far more reliable), and boost their wireless router signal to at least "Good".

I will say this...Ramada has a far better value than the other "numbered" motels just down the freeway. While this particular stay could have been much better, it was decidedly much better than the rest, and I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: TURN ON THE HEAT/AC FIRST THING UPON ARRIVAL, then let it run for a few hours. You'll be glad yo...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank kb7rky

Reviewed 25 August 2011

We submitted the following comment card to the hotel front desk. I think it says everything about this hotel:
I was afraid for my safety while staying at your hotel! The appearance of a *bullet* hole in the window of the west bedroom was entirely un-nerving. The windows in both bedrooms are broken. The bathroom with the broken tiles and mildew is disgusting!!! The furniture is dirty and I didn't want to sit down anywhere. It also appears that you rent rooms by the month here. The thermostat in the east bedroom is broken. There is a pan burn mark on the counter in the kitchen. I honestly don't know how you can even rent this room.

Room Tip: Don't ask for a two room suite as they are old converted apartments in horrible shape.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We arrived having been promised a great rate on a single room plus a fold away bed for one of our teens. When we arrived we were informed that due to fire code they could only put a fold away bed in a suite. We were thus required to "upgrade" for twenty dollars extra a night. The suite was on the ground floor of the "old" building. (there are two buildings, one newer and cleaner, the other older and rundown).

The hallways in the older building are lit by old office style fluorescent lights, the smell of stale cigarettes is strong.

The air conditioner in our ground floor room was not working and neither the sliding door or the bedroom window had screens. We notified the front desk who graciously moved us to a second floor unit. We shortly thereafter received a call from the front desk kindly offering to give us the original single room price on the suite due to the inconvenience we had experienced,

The room itself was older, it had a nice balcony overlooking the small but clean pool area. There was no microwave. I opened the cupboard under the sink to see a partially collapsed shelf floor covered in what appeared to be black mold. The plastic top shelf on the door of the lime green fridge was cracked.

The bedroom had no TV, bedside lamps or air conditioner.

The maid service was awful. The room was only partially cleaned on both days of our stay. Food was left in the sink drain. My daughter's pajama shirt was tossed off of the fold away couch and left on the floor. The grounds were left in the coffee pot and the pot was not cleaned.

The breakfast, served until 9am in the nicely appointed lobby was more than we expected. Fresh, hot waffles, hard boiled eggs, English Muffins, Toast 7 spreads, cereal, milk, coffee, Apple Juice, Orange Juice, Yogurts etc.

It seems to me that if you can get a suite or room in the new building the hotel is just fine. For some reason, they just don't seem to care about maintaining the older building and it shows.

Even with the various inconveniences, the fact that the hotel was fair about the price made the stay worth it for our family of limited means.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank FamilyVacation2
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Spent three nights in the Spokane Ramada Inn,great location and nice place to stay at. We had the Jacuzzi suite which consisted of a king bed and heart shaped Jacuzzi tub which was really neat. The room was quite large but didn’t have a fridge. Full bathroom with another tub and coffee machine. A/C was broken for the first two days of our stay which made for a very uncomfortable temperature in our room but once it was fixed all was good. Free Wifi in rooms and also a computer available in lobby but not sure if you had to pay to use it. There is a very small fitness room which only had two cardio machines but better than nothing. Small meeting room to the side of that. Outdoor pool was good size and the kids loved swimming, it is open until 11pm. Inside located beside our room on 2nd floor was the hot tub and sauna. Free breakfast had plenty to choose from and was available until only 9am weekdays and 10am weekends. They had from waffles to boiled eggs, cold/hot cereals, yogurt and muffins and juices. The tricky part was getting there and not having to stand in line with 20 other people or waiting for things to be restocked. I enjoyed my stay here and would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Moscato-Mama
Reviewed 8 August 2011

after getting the last room that they had we realized that we should have kept looking. The room was a suite with a kitchen. The kitchen was from the 1970's all gold. no cutlery, pots or dishes.
The bathroom while it smelled clean was very old and outdated.
The bedroom only had a queen size bed and no airconditioner.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We were placed in the old part of the hotel which was very run down and is a separate building to access. We had no water in the kitchen sink and discovered the next morning that we had no water in the shower. Maintenance was sent to fix the problem. Maintenance did not have the apparatus needed to get water in the kitchen sink so it was unusable. The tap in the shower was so tight that as a female it was impossible for me to pull it out to get it to work. My husband attempted to pull on the tap and was worried that he would break it. It did produce water but you needed to have superhuman strength to access it. There was also no internet service in this part of the hotel either. When I expressed my displeasure with the room, I was informed that the owner wasn't willing to adjust the room rate nor would he even consider it. I was told he owned 4 other hotels as well. I've often stayed in Ramada's in Canada and would rate these hotels well above average. This hotel fell far short of even average. It is incredibly run down and I felt as if I was staying in a cheap flea bag motel.

Cathy & Roger

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Stayed here from Thurs May 19- Mon May 23. Our room was close to the highway and the only time I ever heard anything was when an ambulance went by! Very soft sheets, great comfy beds, lots of extra pillows (always a ++ in my books)! Definitely a step up from your standard hotel of this type. Breakfast was decent. Could be more fruit (there are apples + oranges, hard boiled eggs, packet cereals & oatmeal, yogurt & a waffle maker) The staff were very kind and helpful.
Will definitely stay here again if I find myself in Spokane//Spokane Valley. Thanks Ramada!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Veradale
Ramada Downtown Spokane
Ramada Downtown Spokane
#26 of 46 in Spokane
Crossland Economy Studios - Spokane - Valley
Crossland Economy Studios - Spok...
#12 of 13 in Spokane Valley
Oxford Suites Spokane Valley
Oxford Suites Spokane Valley
#2 of 13 in Spokane Valley
Ramada at Spokane Airport

Been to Ramada Spokane Valley? Share your experiences!