“Nice place, close to lots of activities”
Review of Chateau Westport

Chateau Westport
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Westport
Olympia, Washington
“Nice place, close to lots of activities”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The room was nice and comfortable. Tends to be warm, but opening the windows works. Located within walking distance of the beach, drive to town or other beach access points. The breakfast is nice if one is carb-oriented; nice pastries and you-cook waffles. Westport offers beach-walking, birding, fishing, clamming, surfing, and other outdoor activites. The Chateau is located close to these and offers a nice headquarter location.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I wasn't expecting much from Westport so I was pleasantly surprised. A great pool, comfortable room, and a great recommendation for a dinner spot by the front desk staff. We really enjoyed our stay which ended with a simple breakfast hosted by a friendly wait staff. Our room was over heated but an open window remedied that easily and we are talking Washington here where air conditioning is seldom needed. The hot tub only had one working jet which was disappointing. Since it was end of the season and mostly vacant, it would have been nice to have been offered an upgrade to a balcony room. Overall a nice weekday getaway.

Room Tip: It would have been nice to have a balcony facing the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lyn M
Kenmore, Washington
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Filthy. Foul mouthed and minded staff. WAY over priced. Ocean View? Yes. OceanFront? Not even close. Places like this that advertise ocean front when they have nothing obstructing them are ridiculous. It's 300 plus yards to the dunes THEN the beach.
We will kip the coastal town next time and try ocean hires or Raymond.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Lainie M

Travellers are raving about these Westport hotels

Stanwood, Washington
Reviewed 19 September 2013

The room is very comfortable, it is very warm in the evening even with the heat off as we had to open the windows to make it cool. Our room was clean and appeared to be maintained fairly well. There was no air conditioning in our room. The view overlooking the ocean was ok as we were on the 3rd floor; the 4th floor would have provided a better view of the ocean and beach.

Room Tip: Upper floors have a better view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ted D
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 September 2013

fortunately the windows opened in our room and the autumn cool evening air cooled the room. We could hear the ocean from our room with the windows open. The front desk was very helpful in providing information regarding the Rain Forest that we plan to go to tomorrow.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lagmom
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Room 413 at the Chateau Westport was the worse room I ever stayed in my 41 years of life on this planet. It really made me miss our camper. This is our first time staying at this hotel and the reviews weren't so bad. So why not right? It's a bit pricey ($154 per night) for such an old run down hotel but there's not much to choose from in the Westport area. We reserved the 2 queen beds room with kitchenette. Smaller room than we expected from the website pictures.

Saturday: Tired from our drive, we waited till 4pm to check in because I read in one for the reviews they won't let you check in early. After we awkwardly checked in and got our room KEYS. Chuckles... we never had real metal keys to a room before. It's usually a card. Anyhow, as we're approaching the room, I notice it was bordered by ice makers and staff elevator. Too tired to really think much about it, we open the two small windows to ventilate our stuffy hot room which didn't do much because there was no airflow due to the location of the window. I noticed there was no bed skirts on any of the exposed box springs along with brown stains on one blanket towards the foot of the bed. Once again, too tired to really care to change out the blanket.

We decided to head to the beach so the room can air out for a few hours. Well, it didn't until late at night. We kept the windows open all night just to make it livable. Seriously, no air conditioning or fan in this room.
This is when it all started: Woken up at.....
2 am with guests running to the elevator yelling at each other. Bed was uncomfortable.

3 am: the lamp in the room has been flickering on and off in the darkness. I thought the Aliens were here for me until my husband figured out it was a loose bulb. LOL

4 am: people getting chest full of ice nonstop for fishing trips having a conversation right next to your bed. Really missing my bed at home right now and my husband missing his boat... Desperate for a good night sleep I was thinking about getting dressed and going down to the beach to sleep in my beach chair on the sand. Then changed my mind after I visualized the police removing me from the beach as if I was homeless on a park bench covered in newspaper.

4:30am: a diesel truck running it's engine right underneath your only fresh air supply for 20 minutes. Got up and closed the window, there goes our air supply. What is that weird noise and vibration on the head board that turns on and off? Oh, it's the ice machine making more ice! My ten year old wakes and tells me her bed if made of nails and she is hungry. Got her some food to eat. Turned on the tv and didn't get any channels because the cable came undone. So no tv until morning.

5 am Finally fell a sleep and the hotel bed alarm goes off because a previous guest needed to wake up at 5am. Staff elevator opening and closing. Hungry and frustrated, so sat in a dining chair to eat something and the fell over cause the back of the chair gave out.

6am: annoyed and still awake trying to decide if we should just cancel the second night and just go home.

9 am. Had a sad continental breakfast . By sad, I mean not much to eat. Makes us really appreciated the continental breakfast at The Hampton Inn. We sat at the table and reminisce about the Hampton inn breakfast as we decided on whether to stay another night.

10 am Decided to stay because the ten year old wanted to play on the beach some more. Ask the front desk for a room change. She was nice and helpful so we decided not to bother her with the small details about our night.

11am Repack everything. Went down to the beach for an hour

12 pm Waited around the hotel to change rooms. Was told it was going to be around 12 pm. So we basically spent our only day in Westport hanging around the hotel waiting to change rooms.

4pm changed rooms. It was also the 2 queen beds with kitchenette. Same price room. It was what we paid for in the first place. Not like it was an upgrade or peace offering. Same kinda room with more windows and a small balcony on the end of the building with better airflow. Bigger than the previous room. Nice little kitchenette like the last room. More comfortable beds or we were just sleep deprived.

Next day check out without a "how was your stay" cause they already knew who we were and what room we were in. Not even an upgrade to king suite, discount or apology for the inconvenience. Just give us your money and leave people is the vibe I get.

I told my husband he can buy his RV motor home. He can thank Chateau Westport for that.
I gave them three stars because the second room we moved to was decent. And some off the staff are nice. I can overlook cheap painted lampshades, broken furniture, old TVs, and ugly wiring as long as I get a good night sleep. But overall, I just don't think it's worth $154 a night for what you don't get. For what you get, it should be a $70 a room.

Room Tip: Buyer beware! Do not take room 413
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Lexgirl702
Nooksack, Washington
Reviewed 8 August 2013

The hotel bills itself as a "resort", I wouldn't go that far... it has a pool and a hot tub though.

One of my main complaints about the hotel is the fact that there is no air conditioning available. We stayed on the third floor. The room was hot, even with the windows open on a foggy night and the baseboard heaters off. (baseboard heating has never been one of my favorites.)

Now, some people just love soft beds that offer little or no support. Unfortunately, I am not one of them. I think that the beds were just too soft to be comfortable.

The continental breakfast was pretty lame but with no breakfast choices to note in Westport even it was welcome.

The staff seemed quite friendly, particularly Elijah who went out of his way to direct us to a decent restaurant that turned out to be quite exceptional.

The place is old, and could use a major renovation IMHO. The staff indicated that the beach was an 8 minute walk away. We found it to be about a 25 minute walk, but then we are not olympic walkers.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have an ocean view, as long as it isn't foggy.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JosephJFuller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westport
Westport Inn
Best Western Lighthouse Suites Inn
Canterbury Inn
Canterbury Inn
#1 of 14 in Ocean Shores

Been to Chateau Westport? Share your experiences!