“Nasty, Randown Motel” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Westport
Redmond, WA
“Nasty, Randown Motel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

I booked my stay via a LivingSocial deal and got a great price on what they advertised as a "three-bedroom suite". I looked at the Trip Advisor reviews, and was re-assured by the 4-star rating that the place averaged at the time. So I booked the deal to stay in Westport when my wife's family came out for a visit.

When we drove up to the place, I thought "No, no way, that's not it, it can't possibly be it." The place looked like an old randown motel from outside in a scurvy area of town (to be fair though, most of Westport looks pretty scurvy). While I was pulling up my reservation and confirming the address, my wife asked the front desk if she could use a restroom while I was double-checking the info. She was told told "NO, she could NOT." Wow, great hospitality.
After I got through my disbelief and confirmed that this was indeed the right place, we got our "suite." It was a nasty ran-down motel room with 50s decor and appliances from the same era. There was a nasty, musty ordor in the room as soon as we walked it. There were multiple scratches and cracks in the paint, with large chips and even holes in most areas. The TV was so old it took it 10 minutes to warm up and actually start showing something. The microwave looked older than the first one I got 20 years ago.

There were indeed three bedrooms with beds of various sizes. Most sheets looked fine, but one looked like it had stains on it and had someone else's hair on it. The chair in the living room had old stains on it as well.

There was a large gap between the door and the door frame which allowed in insects (flies and ants in the room), and plenty of heat.
If you've seen movie "Vacancy", that's pretty much what came into my head. This was like an old horror movie motel where some crazy lunatic is going to try to stab you with a knife or what not.
Needless to say, we went to the front desk and told them we wouldn't be staying there. Instead we booked a hotel in Ocean Shores where we previously stayed. It ended up costing us twice as much as the deal at Ocean Ave Inn, but I wouldn't stay at this place for any money. What a nightmare.

Now we just need to try to get our money back from LivingSocial. What they said about that place on their deal description is certainly false advertising. The place is a complete, COMPLETE dump.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alexgav

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Lakebay, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

We took this room on the cheap and you definitely get what you pay for. Nearby Grocery and local pub made it perfect for a couple of fisherman though. Room was a little dated, furniture was thrwn together, only one chair in the room with the table. It was a little musty smelling, my allergies went a liitle crazy and the TV was very small (24"). Could not get the wifi to work for nothing. Coffee maker in the room, but no coffee, no cups. Bed was comfortable enough and the girl at the front desk was very friendly and accommodating when we asked for an extra blanket. I will probably not be back.

Room Tip: Opt in for the efficiency unit if available.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Seattle, Washington, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

Apparently they changed management about 3 months ago, but the new managers are great too! I was there over New Year's 2011 and they were fixing up one room. I get the feeling the whole place is getting an overhaul. Everything was scrupulously clean and the linens were really nice. I had booked for 2 nights but had to leave after one, and they were as helpful and understanding as could be. The rooms are actually attached cabins, each with a mini-kitchen; it would be a great place for a family. The kids could even have their own room with parents next door keeping an eye on things from afar. The location can't be beat - it was an easy 1/2 mile walk or 2 minute drive to the beach, and there was actually a choice of 2 beaches. The state park, which is free and accessible from the road, is a beautiful and very clean bay with a wide expanse of black (lava) sand. Walk in the other direction and there's a gorgeous beach where, for some reason, driftwood and washed-up stones collect. I found 5 kinds of agate in 5 minutes. The Ocean Ave. Inn is about 2 miles from the Westport "strip" - easy to drive to, but far enough away not to be bothersome. If you prefer to stay near base, there's a good Mexican restaurant across the road and a grocery 2 blocks away. I will be back!

Room Tip: The 9 rooms start with #1 next to the office and end with #9 at the end of the complex. 1 or 9 would...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Lily H
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

Very nice place, they even dried my husband jacket in their dryer, also we were given doggy treats for our 2 dogs! Lovely people, Lovely place would go back there again, the rooms were clean, what more can I say!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Pat H
Reardan,Wa.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

comfortable for the amount of time spent there. Dog friendly, which is a plus for us. Don't plan on cooking much there, very sparse cooking/eating utensils.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank joanck
Post Falls, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

Loved the new decor since our last trip in room #9. New management since our last visit in September and couldn't ask for a friendlier staff. Quiet and relaxing, which is why we choose this place. Just love it here. See you soon, maybe after Labor Day again, If not see you next year

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank satpat1947
Seabeck
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2011

Excellent hotel and management. Quiet and very clean rooms. Close to everything.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank GregorySeabeck
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westport
Westport Inn
Quality Inn - Ocean Shores
Quality Inn - Ocean Shores
#6 of 14 in Ocean Shores
Best Western Lighthouse Suites Inn

Been to Ocean Avenue Inn? Share your experiences!