“A hell hole with a view!”
Review of Harbor Resort

Harbor Resort
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Westport
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We rented cabin number 9 at the harbor resort for a vacation over the New Year holiday for our family of 4. We were told it had a queen size bed and two bunk beds. The Queen size was more like a full size, it was very uncomfortable, and the bunk beds turned out to be very small and built into a closet. When we checked in on Friday night we found that the cabin had not been cleaned. the garbage cans were full, the backsplash in the bathroom was filthy, the kitchen was filthy, the refrigerator was leaking, there was a towel wedged under the refrigerator to catch the water, leaking out of the bottom, there was black mold on all of the windows, the walls were filthy, there were only two towels in the bathroom, and there was no coffee or coffee filter. I called the desk at 8:00 a.m. to notify the management of these conditions which I did in a very polite manner. I was suprised when an older lady claiming to be a manager started yelling at me on the phone and threating me. I asked her to calm down and that I had not meant to insult her but only to make her aware of the problem. She hung up on me and called me five minutes later demanding to know where I was as she was just in the room and had not seen me and that the room was clean. I told her that I was in cabin # 9 and that I was not in a room. She came to the cabin and after I showed her what I had asserted to she admitted that the room had not been cleaned. We went to the beach and when we returned there was an apology letter and a bottle of sparkling cider. They did appear to have done some cleaning but the cabin was still very dirty. They provided the coffee filters and some coffee and added some clean towels. When ever we tried to use a hair dryer it would trip a fuse and the only source of heat was a small space heater that also seemed to trip the electrical fuse. When we checked out they gave us $10.00 off our bill and again apoligized for there behavior. I found the view to be breath taking and you are right on the water but I will not be returning. I found the staff to be unprofessional, the cleanliness of the cabin was disgusting, and the physical condition of the cabin was sketchy at best. I have never written a review in my life and am only doing so now that I might be of some service to other families out there so that they can save themselves some anguish.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank Kellen S

Reviewed 26 December 2011

I should have used Tripadvisor before booking this hotel. I wanted something on the water with a kitchen. I stayed in the cabin and this place is right on the water. The cabin, however, is so run down it shouldn't be rented out. The windows have sticks in them to keep them shut and no screens. The sliding glass door to the patio is nearly impossible to slide. Also it doesn't close completely, also requiring a stick to keep it from being opened. The couch we didn't even sit on because of lack of springs and it was like sitting on a rock. The cabinets with the pots and pans had a strange smell in them. We slept ok in the queen-size bed but there was just enough room to walk around the bed. The caulk in the bathroom was stained and coming off. It definitely was not worth the $143 per night we were charged. Would NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank ramblingnowhere
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I have stayed here, in the "cabins" for a numbers of years and this place has so deteriorated. The view remains great but the cabin was terrible. Cabin dirty, walls stained, badly chipped paint everywhere, window sills filthy with mold growing up sides, nearely impossible to open bathroom sliding door, odd smell in the refrigerator I kept my foood in plastic bags.. For the $179 per night it was a rip off. Worse than a cheap motel downtown anywhere USA.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Charlotte B
Reviewed 5 September 2011

View was amazing, but not worth the experience: Gas smell, broken closet door, broken bathroom door, broken shower knob, melted sink, missing window screen, broken slider door to the deck, deck flooring "spongy", broken lamp in living area. Don't expect to use a hair dryer. You're requested not to as it may blow the circuits in the cottage.

Small and cramped. Fold-out couch? Try small futon. Out-dated decor, including snowman shower curtain.

We sat up all night for fear of gas poisoning, only to be yelled at by the manager in the morning. ( No management on duty over night. They post a small piece of paper in the window on who to call, but I didn't see it) We checked out and only got a partial refund for our misery. I should have just called 911.

$200 per night?? Really??

The response to my BBB complaint was that the unit is perfectly safe and worthy of the fees charged. Uhh... ok.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank J H
Reviewed 17 August 2011

One of the worst stays EVER. Tiny, cramped room and even tinier bathroom, the mini-shower had black mold and there was no water pressure so it dribbled, not showered. Water stopped entirely, and then drastically changed temp, when anyone in the other six rooms did anything. No screens in the window meant people reaching in from the wrap around balcony and no security if you wanted air...which you definitely need; the musty smell changes to reeking of fried grease during the owners dinner hours. The connecting doors are blocked by furniture but not sealed and the walls are paper thin so even low conversations are public. The electrical outlets won't hold a plug and the desk isn't staffed at all after 6 PM. No quiet hours were enforced, allowing drunk guests to bellow all night first in their room and then on the public balcony. This place was truly awful and grossly overpriced, especially given many repairs are very simple to do; WE fixed the missing window slats! There's many other choices and I sure wish we had chosen them!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KaTe2
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Harbor Resort is right on the water adjacent to the boat harbor in Westport, WA. The individual cabins, located a few feet from the water's edge, have great views. This all seemed fine until we entered our cabin. It, like the others, was a single wide mobile home. That was not a problem, since such structures are fitted with a kitchen, bath, bedroom, and closets. But the unit was old and run down, doors were off their tracks, light bulbs were missing from fixtures, the kitchen sink would not drain, the bathroom sink had been burned and partially melted - perhaps with a curling iron, the window blinds would not operate properly, and the carpeting was so old and dirty that we hesitated to set down our bags. The rate for the room was high, and that must have been for the view because the room was not worth it.
We stayed for two nights, and while houskeeping provided clean towels, the bed was not even made.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PplusG
Reviewed 8 July 2011

I read the reviews and was very disappointed by what people wrote. We stayed at the Harbor Resort for the first time a couple of weeks ago and loved it. The cabins were older but they were clean. What most of you probably don't understand is what the ocean water does to a building. The view was incredible and we were able to cook, bbq and the grandkids had a great time. I would recomend it, however don't expect a 5 star hotel. It's comfortable and has all the conveniences of home. You can rent crab pots, fishing poles and have a great time. The owners were very pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family