“a wonderful surprise”

Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Westport
california
“a wonderful surprise”
Reviewed 4 April 2007

This was a wonderful surprise. A cute cottage with livingroom ,bedroom, kitchen but the best part was the great view. we loved being right on the water. And in spite of what a previous guest said, it was very clean. We were traveling with our dog and this place was perfect. We just found it by driving by. Would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
10 Thank pickyme

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Western Washington
Reviewed 25 March 2007

Our family had had previous good experiences at the Harbor Resort, so recently we decided on a weekend getaway. We had booked a cottage for 2 nights, and arrived shortly after check-in looking forward to our stay. Upon entering the cottage an overwhelming odor of rotten seafood was hard to escape from. The smell was so strong it permeated all the rooms. I went to the office to ask for some air freshener and was given some.
After cleaning the trash cans and spraying disenfectant spray the smell still pervaded.

With unpacking undereway I Noticed My sons futon bed was completely soiled with what I hope was crusted food on the pillows. Once again I trekked to the office to ask for a clean futon cover. I was told there was none but was given a clean sheet. After covering the futon with the sheet, I went to unpack my Husband's and myself's things in our room. This is were it went from bad to awful. Our bed had black hairs upon our pillows, so I pulled back the sheets to check them. The whole bed had small black hairs. Hopefully from a pet, but alarming to me that the sheets had not been changed. Trip 3 to the office, I requested clean sheets and told the manager of the problem. A mumbled apology and clean sheets were produced.
By this time my husband was getting upset that our get away was turning out so badly and tried to help me change all the linens. When we stripped the bed we found a large urine stain on the mattress, which we flipped, and soiled blood stained pillows. These things should be unacceptable to most people as they can pose a health threat.
After much discussion we decided to try to just enjoy ourselves despite all the problems. Which was hard to do, and ended up putting a significant damper on the whole stay. The bathroom door handle fell off, which we again went to the office and got some duck tape to fix it. The view which is so talked about was hard to see throught the mold on the windows. But the feeling of unease one gets from beeing in a filthy place, especially when you have paid to use this space, makes it impossible to enjoy a vacation.
I have to say we have stayed at the resort before and never had these problems, I do not know how long the condition has been this way, since it had been a couple years since our last stay. I just feel that there wasn't too much consideration given to my family about all the problems. We were offered expresso drinks or a bottle of wine at check-out to compensate. Needless to say we wont be back to the Harbor Resort.

• Liked — proximety to water
  • Disliked — unkept and dirty
  • Stayed February 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank FarmerLou
peaceableman, Innkeeper at Harbor Resort, responded to this review, 25 May 2007
This is an answer and apology to the customer who posted her complaint about the Harbor Resort. Without offering excuses, we remember the customer well and we we disappointed in ourselves for the conditions that she experienced.
To attempt to correct the situation we took these steps:
1. Immediatly sent a cleaning crew into the cottage.
2. Gave her a full refund for her stay
3. Issued her a gift certificate for her future stay
4. Fired the Head of Housekeeping

We did all that we could to attempt to fix the problem, it may be noted that there was blood on the floor ,sinks and tubs that were clearly from this customer, which we cleaned up in a discrete manner.
We have been in this family business for over 20 years and we make every attempt to make this a pleasant enjoyable experience for our customers we are very sorry for the mistakes and made every attempt to correct them.
Mark D.

Travellers are raving about these Westport hotels

edgewood wa.
Reviewed 22 April 2006

my wife, daughter and myself desided to take off to westport one fri. recently. i made a call to the harbor resort after looking on the net for a place to stay, they had pretty good feedback reviews from past guests and the price was in our budget for a quick getaway,so off we went. the drive took a couple hours and we arived a little late, but there was a young man waiting with the key to the harbor house, "so far so good" we let ourselfs in and found a large fairly clean room with a verry nice view of the boats in the marina. we went out and got some dinner and then back to the room to a movie and to just relax "so far so good" now it is time for bed, oh my god !!! the bed my daughter was to sleep on was simular in form to a, oh i dont know, a hamick or a sway back horse, and the bed in our room was just plane worn out. in the morning i went to the office to pay my 120.00 room bill ,for my sleepless night, and i told the innkeeper of the problem thinking that maybe he would nock alittle off the price, but all the responce i got was" well we are more noted for our views...... i went out and got in my car, alittle upset but what do you do. no i just couldn't leave, so back in i went. i let the gentleman know that i thought 120.00 was a lot to pay, during there off season, for a night of no sleep. at first, he just stood there looking at me and me looking at him. then he told me that he would send me a coupon for a night in one of there cottages they have with new beds in them. ok thats better then nothing, he took my mailing info and i was on my way. now its been two months and i have recieved nothing no coupon no email no responce so i feel i need to write this review. check the beds out before you agree to stay.

• Stayed March 2006
21 Thank daveEdgewoodWa_
Reviewed 15 January 2006

You'll remember this place for the rest of your life. It's not fancy...it's not perfect...It is the most awesome place you can stay on the Washington coast. The accomadations were clean and the staff friendly and fun. Dolly even rates high, with the sweet greeting she gave us at the office door when we arrived. Our cabin couldn't have been anymore perfect for storm watching and feeding the seagulls:) (bring stale bread with you) they put on quite a show for a treat. You could fish from your deck as well! It was hard finding a place to to eat. They were closed either due to the holidays or it just being Winter. The locals weren't very helpful for suggesting a "good" place to eat. The only recomendation we were told was "Original House of Pizza" What a score!! Great menu..yummy food (Deep fried Scallops~Pastrami&Swiss sandwich)..friendly staff & lot's of customers (always a great sign for great food) GOOD "Homemade Clam Chowder" too! Don't forget to watch the surfers off the Jetty (just a minute walk from the cabins) The only suggestion I would recommend to the caretakers is to take the chill off the cabins before the reservation arrival. Our cabin was soooo cold and it took 2-3 hours before it took the chill off, with the gas fireplace. The chill never left the bedroom/bathroom area the first night. (there was only one light blanket on the bed with no extra blanket ) It is still an awesome place and we will be back..our kids will love coming with us next time :)

• Stayed December 2005
23 Thank RedDragonfly
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 July 2005

Cosy cottages overlooking the bay. Not upscale (average furnishings etc) but that's not really the point of staying in a place like this. It's just a romantic, cosy place to escape to. Each cabin has a waterfront view. The only traffic we could hear at night was the fishing boats going by. Nice gas fireplace in the one we stayed in. The staff (including the dog) are very friendly.

Stayed June 2005
25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 May 2005

We came upon Harbor Resort by chance. Our stay hear here has been nothing short of fabulous!

The people are friendly and helpful, and the cabins are charming, quaint and offer all the amenities of home!

We had planned on staying only 3 nights but once here increased it to 5!

The view is spectacular!! We have been searching for a place where I could relax and my husband could fish to his hearts content. Our search

Is over! Even our 12 year old daughter has fallen in love with Harbor Resort!!

Thank you for all your hospitality. We will be back again and again and again.

Helen Osthus

Dinners Ready

Executive Assistant

dinnersready

425-493-0780

32 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Westport, Wa
Reviewed 14 December 2004

Incredible view of the water, we saw seals, dolphins, and lots of pelicans skimming the water right off of our deck. Watching the boats and people catching crabs and fishing was a kick, my kids really enjoyed themselves. Then staff was super nice and laid back, they were informal but professional and let us have our privacy. It was a great nautical environment and a great change from Eastern Washington! We will be back every year.

37 Thank peaceableman1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westport
Westport Marina Cottages Motel
Ocean Avenue Inn
Ocean Avenue Inn
#6 of 14 in Westport
Best Western Lighthouse Suites Inn

Been to Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!