“Great Experience- so much fun!”

Westport Sport Fishing
Lakewood, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Experience- so much fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

I took my daughter on her first charter fishing trip a couple of days ago. I was nervous because of the other reviews but this wasn't our experience, at all. The boat was clean and the deck hands worked their tales off. The one time that Randy said anything was because we were all fishing too close to the bottom and losing a ton of gear. He was extremely polite about it and there was absolutely no yelling at all.

There was a young boy who caught 3 big lingcod and Captain Randy was so excited for him each time- it was fun to see! Everyone caught their limits and went home with a ton of fish. He made sure to point out whales on the way out and the way in.

As opposed to the other tales of being yelled at, I went to Captain Randy after I had a rod break because I had caught the bottom. I wanted to pay for the rod because I felt so bad. Instead, he told me that they catch a ton of fish on light rods (so much fun!) and I was just the unlucky one to be holding it when it gave. I didn't have to pay for the rod- and I'm busy trying to figure out when I can sneak out for another trip.

Extremely affordable rates- so happy to have found the Rampage!

Visited April 2011
4 Thank justalittlecrazy

ReelF00l
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Not Recommended - Captain randy is an [--]”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2010

This charter is probably fine if you're an experienced sport fisherman and don't mind being yelled at for breaking rules that you are not told about.

If you're looking for a boat to just take you out and bait your hooks for you you might be happy.

I went out fishing for halibut with 7 friends - each one of us were either insulted or berated by Randy the boat captain. Offenses ranged from bait coming off hooks (very common when fishing) to listening to what the deckhand told us to do (the captain disagreed). Randy will not only berate you for breaking a rule he didn't tell you about - he will then whine and moan about it for a good 10 to 15 minutes, loudly.

Randy really doesn't seem to realize that the people on his boat are not only paying for the chance to fish but also for a pleasant experience. He should also realize that they are paying his wages too.

The weather was perfect, the fishing was pretty good (once we finally got to a spot that he wanted to fish for more than 5 minutes - reeling up 700+ feet of line on 2 occasions after fishing for less than 5 minutes is no joke. Neither was the 1 hour 45 minute run to a different fishing spot).

The boat is in OK to good shape - not a whole lot of comfortable seating.
The tackle is OK though level wind reels would be nice.
The deckhands were polite enough and try hard - they earn their tips.

8 Thank ReelF00l
Randy R, Owner at Westport Sport Fishing, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
The nature of an open party charter is to have several groups or individuals to share a boat. In most cases there is never a problem with courtesy being extended from one angler to another. And there are some "dos and dont's" to follow to avoid complications.
Some times however there are certain individuals that even after a friendly request refuse to extend courtesy to other anglers. Which puts us in a position to correct the situation. These requests are not always respected. This puts us in the position to have to take firmer measures to avoid any inconvenience to other anglers. By no means do we ever skip diplomacy as a first step.