“WOW”

Kent, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“WOW”
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Thank you very much. My Uncle & cousin & I had a blast. We are already trying to recruit more people for next year. Randy, Scott, JP, you guys made this one awsome trip!! We learned more about tuna fishing in just your short pep talk, than on all the other trips that we have wasted our money on. Will defenatly be back.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank David K

Seattle, Washington
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Great tuna fishing on the Rampage - Important things to understand before going.”
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I made a reservation to go tuna fishing and then checked TA and was a little taken aback by the reviews. I also figured that they did not sound very diffferent from a lot of trips I have been on. Although I mainly fly fish, over the years I have probably done 10 salmon charters, several bottom fishing charters, a sturgeon charter, and a "big game fish" charter. In that time, there has never been a captain or a deckhand that I would particularly like to take home with me. In fact, I think the captain of one of the charter companies that I have used the most is a total SOB. However, he produces fish which is why I go.

So here is the rundown. I did a 2 day tuna charter. You leave at 8 or so at night, spend the night on the boat, fish all day, sleep on the boat again, fish in the morning and head home. The boat was pretty nice for 10, there are berths with sheets and pilllows, a table that seats 4 and a bench seat that seats 3. Everyone else has to sit outside. This is pretty standard for these things, there is not room for everyone inside, and a lot of people hang out on deck.

I have no experience with tuna, but one of the people picked Randy after multiple charters because his deckhands bleed the fish and put them on ice so you leave with sushi grade tuna. This was not the case on their other charters.

The two deckhands were definitely the most personable of any charter I have been on, I talked to both of them and heard how they got there etc. They made it a great experience. Both are anti-drug, drinking etc, wanting to have a good boat, which is not the case for a lot of charters.

Randy the captain does not hang out with the passengers much, he is mostly all business and drives the boat. His job and reputation is based on getting people fish, if his numbers are low, people will not want to pick him. He may take this a little too seriously at times.

We caught lots of fish and I had lots of fun. However, here is where some people may think otherwise. The tuna area finicky now and so it is possible to scare off a whole school by doing something wrong - and you will do something wrong! The deckhands are pretty ramped up when you are on the fish, and so will yell at you to move, reel, or other things. One off the guys continually explained that they wanted you to get fish and when 100 things were happening at once (which it does frequently) they don't have time to stop and explain. He is totally right, and I did not mind at all - every time they told me something, I learned more and by the end of the trip I was pretty good - I still sucked - but got lots of fish.

Randy was a bit caustic at times, saying come on folks you are missing fish - etc. He also would hook up fish and hand them off - also saying - I got lots, what is your problem. Well the problem is that we don't do this all the time, again I take it with a grain of salt.

I think that Randy put it into perspective when I heard him say "I am working really hard to get on the fish...don't blow it by ..." I would recomend that he work on his interactions, but that is how he reacts, he is doing his damnest to get you fish, and reacts when it does not work.

So bottom line, I had a blast, got too many tuna and learned a lot. I would go back and fish with Randy at any time. But if you are thinned skinned, this may not be your boat. On the other hand, this was no different than any other boat I have been on.

With regard to the other comments about driving around and not fishing. Randy is watching his fishfinder. If there are no fish, he is not going to keep fishing.

One other note: Deckhands do not get paid! They work for tips. I think that this is expoiting the people that are deckhand and really think that it should change. It is the way it works on every singe boat. Concider that your trip actually costs 20% more than you are paying and then give 20% to the deckhand. They are worth it. It really is not a tip, it is they salary.

Visited August 2011
11 Thank Kevin R
Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Too much driving not enought fishing”
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We went on salmon trip on June 25, 2011 and were very disappointed. The weather was perfect – sunny and not much swell and we were hoping for a lot of action. The problem was that we would fish at any given spot for 5-10 minutes and Capitan Randy will take off to go somewhere else. He will be cruising for 20-40 minutes and we will fish for 10. One time we were cruising for well over an hour. So we spend 85% of our time driving and 15% actually fishing. For 22 people on the boat we came back with 4 Chinook. You need to have your line in the water to actually catch the fish. Next time we’ll go with somebody else who do less driving and more fishing.

Visited June 2011
4 Thank Fisherman89
Randy R, Owner at Westport Sport Fishing, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
It is our goal to make every effort to provide a fun and safe trip for everyone. When the fish do not cooperate we work hard to find some that will. Because there is no sense wasting time in an area that is not producing. Then when fish are found there is no guarantee those fish will feed.
It is my policy to search for the right patch of fish instead of sitting in a group that is not catching.
Sometimes we find what we are looking for and we are hero's. Sometimes the y are just "off" the bite. I would rather die trying then to just sit in one place not catching.
Lakewood, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Experience- so much fun!”
Reviewed 26 April 2011

I took my daughter on her first charter fishing trip a couple of days ago. I was nervous because of the other reviews but this wasn't our experience, at all. The boat was clean and the deck hands worked their tales off. The one time that Randy said anything was because we were all fishing too close to the bottom and losing a ton of gear. He was extremely polite about it and there was absolutely no yelling at all.

There was a young boy who caught 3 big lingcod and Captain Randy was so excited for him each time- it was fun to see! Everyone caught their limits and went home with a ton of fish. He made sure to point out whales on the way out and the way in.

As opposed to the other tales of being yelled at, I went to Captain Randy after I had a rod break because I had caught the bottom. I wanted to pay for the rod because I felt so bad. Instead, he told me that they catch a ton of fish on light rods (so much fun!) and I was just the unlucky one to be holding it when it gave. I didn't have to pay for the rod- and I'm busy trying to figure out when I can sneak out for another trip.

Extremely affordable rates- so happy to have found the Rampage!

Visited April 2011
4 Thank justalittlecrazy
ReelF00l
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Not Recommended - Captain randy is an [--]”
Reviewed 14 May 2010

This charter is probably fine if you're an experienced sport fisherman and don't mind being yelled at for breaking rules that you are not told about.

If you're looking for a boat to just take you out and bait your hooks for you you might be happy.

I went out fishing for halibut with 7 friends - each one of us were either insulted or berated by Randy the boat captain. Offenses ranged from bait coming off hooks (very common when fishing) to listening to what the deckhand told us to do (the captain disagreed). Randy will not only berate you for breaking a rule he didn't tell you about - he will then whine and moan about it for a good 10 to 15 minutes, loudly.

Randy really doesn't seem to realize that the people on his boat are not only paying for the chance to fish but also for a pleasant experience. He should also realize that they are paying his wages too.

The weather was perfect, the fishing was pretty good (once we finally got to a spot that he wanted to fish for more than 5 minutes - reeling up 700+ feet of line on 2 occasions after fishing for less than 5 minutes is no joke. Neither was the 1 hour 45 minute run to a different fishing spot).

The boat is in OK to good shape - not a whole lot of comfortable seating.
The tackle is OK though level wind reels would be nice.
The deckhands were polite enough and try hard - they earn their tips.

8 Thank ReelF00l
The nature of an open party charter is to have several groups or individuals to share a boat. In most cases there is never a problem with courtesy being extended from one angler to another. And there are some "dos and dont's" to follow to avoid complications.
Some times however there are certain individuals that even after a friendly request refuse to extend courtesy to other anglers. Which puts us in a position to correct the situation. These requests are not always respected. This puts us in the position to have to take firmer measures to avoid any inconvenience to other anglers. By no means do we ever skip diplomacy as a first step.