“June 28th charter trip”

Battle Ground, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“June 28th charter trip”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My Husband, myself and several friends booked a Chartered Fishing trip on Rampage June 28, 2014, we almost filled the boat. This was the second time we have gone out with Rampage and
Randy. He was pleasant at the intro of the trip BUT he becomes very rude and belittles his paying customers and his deck hands. He is to me the poster child of unprofessional and condescending
behavior. We will never book a trip on Rampage again.
Cheryl Hanson

Visited June 2014
14 Thank CherylSmith-Hanson
RampageCaptain, Manager at Westport Sport Fishing, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Although we welcome all levels of skill and experience it is important to know what kind of trip you are booking. As our number one priority is to get people out and home safely it is also important to produce great catches on a daily basis. The second part of that is the tricky part. As there are many factors that make that difficult. Ocean conditions of course being one of them and the mode the fish are in and where they are. And sometimes even challenges added by the passengers themselves. Although not common it is important to remember the importance of following directions and to the do's and Don'ts. With all these factors one can imagine the challenge to produce every day. We are very proud of our catch record and post our counts daily. If the other boats did this you would see that our counts are among the highest in the fleet. Our program may not be the best program for everyone but you don't know until you try it.
As for the crew, I am fortunate to have one of the finest crew's in the fleet. We are like family and have been together a long time. We work day in and day out and all of us live in the wheel house together for over two months every year during the tuna season 7 days a week in close quarters 24-7. As much as we like each other and work together as a team sometimes we call each other names or get impatient with each other. But at the end of the day we are all family. It is unfortunate that sometimes passengers overhear something they consider disrespectful or hurtful but it comes with the territory and at the end of the day we all know and understand the heat of the moment and the pressure to perform and I frankly would not want it any other way.

Colville, WA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Aug. 2013 Tuna on the Rampage”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

A group of 10 of us booked the whole boat for a two day tuna trip on the Rampage for Aug 23-25. One of our party had been on 5 tuna trips, did a lot of research, and determined the Rampage was the way to go. He was not wrong. Got on the boat at 8 PM Friday, motored out all night, fished all day Saturday, slept on the boat, and fished again Sunday morning. 42 hours on the boat, this is not a trip for the unadventurous! Expect cramped quarters because, it is a boat.

The deckhands J.P. and Jeff were great, worked hard, and knew what they were doing. Randy the Captain was relentless in finding the fish for us. He was constantly on the binos or the radio to find the fish. Randy could be a little harsh when you're breaking off fish and losing the schools, but every time he said something, I learned something.

Our first morning was pretty dismal fishing, but Randy made adjustments and found the fish. We had a great afternoon and an even better next day. I've been on the ocean for all kinds of fish (including Marlin and Sailfish) a dozen plus times, and this was the best boat and most amazing fishing trip I've had. We didn't quite fill the boat to capacity but came pretty close. The fish average 15-25 lbs and take anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes to land. With up to all 10 rods hooked up at once, expect combat fishing at it's best! As far as I heard, only 1 boat in the fleet caught more fish than us, and only 2 more.

As another post said, take your motion sickness meds, don't be macho. 6 out of 10 of us (not me!) got sick. Most got over it once the fish were hitting. Expect to tip your deck hands about $50 bucks a piece, especially if they work hard for you. This is the only way they make their money. They will clean your fish for you for $4 per fish. It was well worth it as they are quick, and you don't have to deal with the mess. Expect to spend about $800 bucks total, but I brought home about 150 lbs of fresh fillets. Delicious and an awesome return on your money.

The Rampage was a great boat with an awesome captain and crew!

Visited August 2013
5 Thank Robopiggy
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“In preference for salmon?”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Anyone have a preference for what boat and captain for salmon fishing? Taking a group of 4 in July and really want to catch some big salmon and especially the limit for everyone. Last time I went we did not catch nearly the limit and was disappointing.

Visited July 2012
9 Thank StrikerSholin
Seattle, Washington
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Second tuna trip even better.”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Have now done several trips with Randy. Each better than the last. Don't know what changed, but I do not see any of the caustic Randy from my first trip. Now my only issue is the meals are the same each time, but not a problem as they are tasty, and heck it's only once a year. Remember - do not try to be macho. Take your dramamine! There are always barfers on the trips who "don't get sea sick". Yes you do! Do you want to want to waste your money and be miserable for 3 days? Also tip your deckhand. Thanks Randy, I will see you when the tuna runs out.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Kevin R
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best boat you can use”
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I have heard that in choppy seas you won't do good with tuna...not the case with this boat.Randy found the fish in rough seas,he is relentless. I booked a tuna trip and it started slow,I broke a line and scattered th first school. We struggled to find the fish but he found them. I caught 5 the first day and 10 the next. This guy is awesome, he will guide on how to catch them. Things happen fast on a tuna trip and he wants you to catch as many fish as possible. The deckhands are among the best I've used. Fish(and don't give up) and you will do very well with this boat! We caught fish even when it was dark. 5 stars all the way. JP is awesome as is the deckhand,tip well,because this is better than any boats you can find.

1 Thank ben_bartlett2