“No Big Deal But The View Is Amazing”
Review of Sun Mountain Lodge

Sun Mountain Lodge
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Winthrop
Utah
“No Big Deal But The View Is Amazing”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Based on the property alone this is a nice place, however I can't give a glowing review on the rest of the stay. The rooms are rather like a old Red Lion, in need up updating and cleaning a bit. We came during the week in which the one night we were there the formal restaurant wasn't even open and we had to eat in the bar. The menu was very limited so it wasn't great. The price for the place was rather high so all in all it was a disappointment as compared to what I expected from my past experiences. The grounds are amazing and the views spectacular, but I have to say I wouldn't likely come here again for the price.

Room Tip: I'm not so sure there is such a thing as a
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Seattle
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Being in luxury hospitality myself, I tend to compare the value, service and overall experience. I was very pleased with my entire stay at the Sun Mountain Lodge to sum it up but would like to share why. It’s a fantastic destination to go solo, as couple, with family or hold events. I was surrounded by stunning mountain views and nice architectural elements/decor in dining outlets, room and outside. It all felt like I was part of this masterpiece painting! I felt very welcomed and relaxed. I am looking forward to my return and I’m glad Washington has a destination, so beautiful and memorable to offer.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank FSHSeattle
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My wife and I spent 3 very enjoyable days at Sun Mountain Lodge (SML). The building is very attractive and rustic looking, the staff is helpful and friendly, wireless internet (something I always check) was good.

SML best serves customers wanting peace. We loved watching the sun set over the mountains. We loved waking to early, golden light and seeing the deer graze just outside our balcony. The days went quickly with hiking and horse riding. (As for riding, big thanks to fantastic wrangler Cody for a great ride.)

The restaurants are ok. I forget their names. One is more cheerful and welcome to all guests and the other is overly pretentious and high end. In both the food is good with lots of emphasis on local products and organic foods.

The town of Winthrop is nearby and if you want some variety from the hotel it is a pleasant diversion.

In short, everything about SML is very good or excellent. So why not give it 5 stars instead of 4. The answer is hard to explain. A 5 star hotel has a special feel, somehow it seems unique and makes the guests feel special. In SML eveything was good, but the magical feeling was missing so it falls just short of 5 stars. Nonetheless we greatly enjoyed our stay during hot, dry August and would like to return during winter cross country ski season.

3 Thank Keith S
NJ
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Sorry that we only had one night here. Everything was first class. And if you are in Washington to view the natural beauty, do not miss the chance to hike the well marked and easy trails aroung the lodge. The views from up un the mountain are all stunning.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank denali41
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Girls trip through the North Cascades. Had a room in the main lodge top floor - a view I will never tire off.....incredibly beautiful.
Room was comfy (I appreciated the pullout foot stool under the chairs) and the bathroom was lovely too. Free wireless was good.
We dined at the Grill in the evening which was reasonable and you can sit out on the deck (which you can't in the expensive diningroom). It is 15 minutes out of Winthrop so its great to have a reasonable family dining option up the mountain.
Breakfast was fantastic - I appreciate that with the package you could have anything on the menu.
Will visit this property again.

Room Tip: Lodge room upper floor
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sabcfamily
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 August 2011

My husband and I stayed there a couple weeks ago. The location is stunning, and there are a ton of activities to choose from. Our major gripes were with the mosquito infestation in our room, and the service the next morning in the restaurant.

First, the good parts: our room was fantastic. The bed was incredibly comfortable, the room was cozy, and the bathroom was incredibly clean and had a great shower and bath products. The location was stunning - we had a view of the mountains, and the stars at night were (pardon the pun) out of this world. We went for a great hike the next morning. Although we only stayed there overnight, there seems to be a ton of activities to choose from.

Now, the not so good parts: when we arrived, it was almost 11 pm. We booked one of the rooms away from the main lodge, so our room opened up to the outside. We tried to enter the room quickly as we noticed there were a bunch of bugs hovering around the outside light, but it did not work. We were completely infested with mosquitos once we got inside. My husband and I spent the first 30 minutes in our room killing mosquitos - they were everywhere. We must have killed at least 10 each. Even after we thought we had killed the majority of them, after we went to bed we heard more buzzing in our ear. At that point I was too tired to fight them off.

We did not complain about the mosquitos the next day to the front desk mainly because we were only there one night, and there was nothing the hotel could have done for us; we had prepaid our room. I also realize the lodge is in the great outdoors and we should expect mosquitos. However, I would have at least expected perhaps some bug repellant in our room or a fly swatter.

The other complaint we had was about the host/hostess supporting breakfast the next morning. We were there with another couple and their young child. By the time we arrived at breakfast, they were already seated at a four-top table but had not yet ordered. We were informed by the host that they could not add a chair at the end of the table because they were an 'AAA diamond facility' (whatever that means), but that they could seat us at the table next to them. We weren't thrilled, but decided to do that anyway. After a few minutes, our friends with the child asked to be moved to a larger table so that we could all sit together. The host was not very gracious about it, but eventually set up a 6 top so that we could all site together. Once we were seated, our server could not have been nicer and the food was delicious. But the seating process left something to be desired.

In short, get a room in the main lodge (even though the rooms are not as nice), and beware of the service in the restaurant.

1 Thank nicole n
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 22 August 2011
We are not usually this "buggy", but with the very wet spring and early summer we had this year it ended up with a mosquito explosion.

I am so sorry about the poor response from my hostess. I have no such policy about not adding a chair, something we do very often. The only time this becomes an issue is in the lower area of the dining room (near the windows) because of fire department regulations. I greatly appreiate that you brought this comment to my attention - it has been addressed!

Kind regards,
Brian Charlton
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 17 August 2011

My wife and I enjoyed a relatively relaxed celebration of our 23rd wedding anniversary at Sun Mountain Lodge. We stayed one night in room 422 in the Mt Robinson Lodge - the third room from the far edge of all lodging on the property - and it was the most quiet setting in which we have ever stayed.

The king-size bed was a bit too firm, but the room was spacious and otherwise comfortable, and the views from inside and out on the deck were spectacular. The outside deck chairs were a bit low (the railing interfered with the view), but using pillows from the bed made the chairs more comfortable and allowed us to see more mountain and less railing.

The room had no TV (a feature, not a bug, for us), and had commercial free classical music piped in through a whole-room audio system. There was a good wireless Internet connection, but our AT&T Wireless cellular service was rather spotty.

The property has two pool areas; we enjoyed the hot tub in between Mt Gardiner and Mt Robinson lodges, which also had a wonderful view (I don't think there are any bad views on the property). The hot tub water was not quite as hot as in most hot tubs, but the jets were well positioned to sooth some of the stiffness after the 5-hour drive from Seattle.

After some hot tub relaxation, we returned to our room and enjoyed a self-prepared meal while watching the sunset from our room. The dinner menu at the restaurant looked very appealing, but due to my wife's recent diagnosis with fructose malabsorption, and the severely restricted diet she is following to manage the symptoms, we have to carefully prepare and pack food for every meal she eats away from home.

The next morning, we ate breakfast in the dining room (plain oatmeal and banana are allowed on the low-FODMAP diet), and then hiked a 3-mile loop along Kraule trail to the Hough Homestead meadow and then back along the well-shaded Beaver Pond and no-shade Sunnyside trails. If we were to go again, we would probably try the View Ridge trail and see more of the Interpretive Loop.

The main lodge has a nice game room with pool tables, foosball tables and ping pong tables. We also saw some well-maintained tennis courts, and saw signs about horseback riding as well as boat rentals down at nearby Patterson Lake, which has several family-oriented cabins maintained by Sun Mountain Lodge.

It was a long way to go for a relatively short stay, but the scenery along the drive out and back - along the North Cascades loop - made for an all-round beautiful trip.

I've posted several photos of - and from - the lodge, including a photo I snapped of maps showing the buildings and individual room layouts. I believe the views might be a bit better in the other two sections of Mt Robinson Lodge, but at the possible expense of less privacy and quiet ... and a quiet respite from recent stresses was what we were after ... and what we found.

1 Thank VeniVidiScripsi