“Sun mountain lodge is wonderful!”
Review of Sun Mountain Lodge

Sun Mountain Lodge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Winthrop
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I reviewed comments from Trip Advisor travelers prior to reserving cabins on Patterson Lake at Sun Mountain. All good comments were spot on. Staff amazing. Food wonderful. Lovely location close to Winthrop and lots to do to make all family members happy. Go there. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank LadykatherineSeattle

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed the 1st time at the Lodge and it was fabulous, from the rooms, the spa, and the restaurant. We went back in September and stayed at the cabins on Patterson Lake. It's so beautiful there. The staff was more than helpful and we will definitely going back to this beautiful destination.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Based on the property alone this is a nice place, however I can't give a glowing review on the rest of the stay. The rooms are rather like a old Red Lion, in need up updating and cleaning a bit. We came during the week in which the one night we were there the formal restaurant wasn't even open and we had to eat in the bar. The menu was very limited so it wasn't great. The price for the place was rather high so all in all it was a disappointment as compared to what I expected from my past experiences. The grounds are amazing and the views spectacular, but I have to say I wouldn't likely come here again for the price.

Room Tip: I'm not so sure there is such a thing as a
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Being in luxury hospitality myself, I tend to compare the value, service and overall experience. I was very pleased with my entire stay at the Sun Mountain Lodge to sum it up but would like to share why. It’s a fantastic destination to go solo, as couple, with family or hold events. I was surrounded by stunning mountain views and nice architectural elements/decor in dining outlets, room and outside. It all felt like I was part of this masterpiece painting! I felt very welcomed and relaxed. I am looking forward to my return and I’m glad Washington has a destination, so beautiful and memorable to offer.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank FSHSeattle
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My wife and I spent 3 very enjoyable days at Sun Mountain Lodge (SML). The building is very attractive and rustic looking, the staff is helpful and friendly, wireless internet (something I always check) was good.

SML best serves customers wanting peace. We loved watching the sun set over the mountains. We loved waking to early, golden light and seeing the deer graze just outside our balcony. The days went quickly with hiking and horse riding. (As for riding, big thanks to fantastic wrangler Cody for a great ride.)

The restaurants are ok. I forget their names. One is more cheerful and welcome to all guests and the other is overly pretentious and high end. In both the food is good with lots of emphasis on local products and organic foods.

The town of Winthrop is nearby and if you want some variety from the hotel it is a pleasant diversion.

In short, everything about SML is very good or excellent. So why not give it 5 stars instead of 4. The answer is hard to explain. A 5 star hotel has a special feel, somehow it seems unique and makes the guests feel special. In SML eveything was good, but the magical feeling was missing so it falls just short of 5 stars. Nonetheless we greatly enjoyed our stay during hot, dry August and would like to return during winter cross country ski season.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Keith S
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Sorry that we only had one night here. Everything was first class. And if you are in Washington to view the natural beauty, do not miss the chance to hike the well marked and easy trails aroung the lodge. The views from up un the mountain are all stunning.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank denali41
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Girls trip through the North Cascades. Had a room in the main lodge top floor - a view I will never tire off.....incredibly beautiful.
Room was comfy (I appreciated the pullout foot stool under the chairs) and the bathroom was lovely too. Free wireless was good.
We dined at the Grill in the evening which was reasonable and you can sit out on the deck (which you can't in the expensive diningroom). It is 15 minutes out of Winthrop so its great to have a reasonable family dining option up the mountain.
Breakfast was fantastic - I appreciate that with the package you could have anything on the menu.
Will visit this property again.

Room Tip: Lodge room upper floor
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends