“Amazing location, dining not so good, some rude staff”
Review of Sun Mountain Lodge

Sun Mountain Lodge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Winthrop
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I really wanted to love this place. Beautiful setting, and a fun/scenic drive to get there through North Cascades National Park. We went during the Fall Colors special, which had a reduced room rate and breakfast included. The room was in the Gardner building and still expensive even though reduced. Too expensive in my opinion - furnishings and carpeting were showing their age, some things were falling apart (lamp, chair, refrigerator), and I found the bed not very comfortable. We did enjoy being on the ground level and seeing the deer right at the edge of the patio every day.

Being there with a child we did not go into the formal dining room for other than breakfast, as breakfast is only served there. "Casual" dining is in the Grill; it was a mess and quite expensive. It is very small, most people seemed to be eating there, and they could not handle the volume. Appetizers came at the same time as the meal. Meals were missing parts, or were just wrong. And the food had almost no flavor. The wait staff were nice enough, but the kitchen was not functioning well. Going in one evening, a couple was leaving and the wife said, "That was a disaster. We have gone there three nights in a row and they have no idea what they are doing." So we opted to drive into Winthrop for most of our lunches and dinners, and had many enjoyable meals in town.

High points: the folks who run the stable are fantastic, I cannot say enough good things about them. Ditto for the gentleman we worked with at Patterson Lake when we rented a boat and had a very enjoyable paddle around the lake. The ladies at the front desk and in the gift shop were very nice. The wait staff in the dining room for breakfast were wonderful.

Low points: the dining situation in the Grill. The people who run the activity center and the concierge were just plain rude - it is your job to talk to people and answer questions. Coming back in the afternoon to find the cleaning staff had seemingly rummaged through the drawers and left a cabinet door and drawer open - there was nothing in there they needed to use or see.

One thing that really irked me is that while there are a lot of activities, you are welcome to pay for everything. When a reduced rate room is still $230 a night (with tax), and an inexpensive lunch or dinner is $25+ a head without alcohol, I would hope they could give you a complementary boat ride or let you use some of the sports equipment for a short time at no charge, especially when nobody is using them. But no, open your wallet.

Overall it is a beautiful location, but it is overpriced, the room was a bit shabby, the dining was mediocre, and some of staff could use lessons in customer service. It might be different during the summer or winter seasons, but not sure we would go back to find out.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank WA_Traveler88
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

I truly appreciate your complete review. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our stables and breakfast staff.

The Grill did not work well this autumn for which I sincerely apologize. I have been working with the chef and Food and Beverage Manager to completely overhaul the menu, the timing of items coming off the food line and presentation at the table. When we re-open in December the problems you encountered will be completely handled.

I was surprised you did not enjoy the room (and bed). We did locate two rooms with poorly functioning refrigerators and they have been replced. In the past couple of years we have complete upgraded the bathrooms, replacing tile with granite, etc. The window treatments are less than a year old and the beds are little over a year old at a retail cost of over $1,000 each. I have instructed my housekeeping manager to check each and every bed to see if we can find the one you mentioned as uncomfotable. The furniture was purchased from a Seattle non-profit organization - all of the prifts going to abused children. We love the furniture and again, I am having housekeeping check to see if we need to do some needed repairs.

I am so sorry my activities and concierge staff came across as rude. These are all well seasoned professional staff who generally earn high marks. I am of course sharing your review with them and others.

Some major changes starting in December 2012 include the new menus with lowered pricing and some rate reductions throughout the resort.

I'd like to have you come back and check out the changes. Please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

I thought the lack of TVs would throw off the trip, but it didn't. The food in the restaurants was great, and the lodge was worth every penny. Didn;t go horseback riding, but went down to the Twisp farmer's market to look around. Small, but good.

1  Thank VincentA587
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Sun Mountain lodge is located about 10 miles outside of Winthrop, with nothing around but mountains, lakes and deer. It is just amazing. The ultimate getaway from people & traffic of big cities. I highly recommend this place.

Positives:
* Excellent, quiet location set in the heart of nature
* Amazing views of the valley (on 3 sides of the lodge)
* Nice pool and outdoor jacuzzi
* Not crowded at all
* Very nice restaurants (one fine dining and one regular, with some vegetarian options)
* Nice forest-lodge feel to the whole place
* Comfortable and modern rooms (though they still maintain the forest-charm).

Negatives:
* None!

Excellent place. Go there. Well worth the price. We paid about $220 including breakfast + tips.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views!
2  Thank villdre
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Sun Mountain Lodge is a great place to stop while in the Cascades. Our Mt. Robinson room was large, not luxurious, but very comfortable. Nice views abound on this property. The food in the restaurant was quite good with a nice selection of wines. One minor problem, there is no real help available with luggage unless you allow an elderly woman to assist. We had a lot of luggage with a room a few steps up to a second floor, but only a few steps. All in all, we liked it very much and recommend a stop there.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CT-and-JJ
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Came here for our 10th anniversary. We had a room away from the main lodge building, on the 2nd floor. It was quite large, with a great view, fireplace, jetted tub and refrigerator. Spacious bathroom. Due to bad weather, we did not get a chance to go horseback riding or hiking (next time), so cannot comment on either of those activities. But there was a lot of deer in the area, which was a nice treat.

PROS: We found the personnel to be friendly and professional. Room was immaculately clean, and the bed very comfortable.

CONS: Fireplace is more for looks than anything else; Would be nice to have a microwave oven in the room (there's a place for one to fit near the sink). It's a bit spendy, especially if you opt for the upgraded room and/or plan to eat there. (Fortunately, there's good food down in Winthrop.)

Room Tip: Second floor has great views.
1  Thank SethE56
Reviewed 16 October 2012

My husband and I won a weekend for 2, complete with breakfast from the Seattle Mariners and stayed on October 12th and 13th. What a wonderful relaxing weekend. We stayed in the Gardner Guest Rooms - complete with king size bed, gas fireplace and private deck on the second floor. We weren't aware before we stayed that we would be without a TV, but it was actually a nice surpise. The bed was extremely comfortable, linens and bath items were exceptional. When the door key stuck in the lock, the maintenance folks came immediately. My only complaint with the room would be the lack of a microwave (it did have a refrigerator, coffee maker and sink). Complimentary wireless in the room was a plus. Hot tub and pool were nicely maintained and had a spectacular view. Hiking trails leading out and around the property were well maintained and scenic. We appreciated the variety of lengths (we hiked 3.5 miles) and the expertise of the activities person in directing us (with a detailed map) on the routes. I can't say enough good things about the food in the dining room. Breakfasts were outstanding - I had the wild mushroom omelet one day, and the smoked salmon scramble (both with egg beaters) the next day. We had dinner one evening in the dining room - the chicken stuffed with local goat cheese and spinach was wonderful as was the special my husband had - short ribs, chicken and chorizo. Presentations were beautiful. The house soup - chicken curry was the best I've ever tasted. His organic greens salad with local charcuterie was amazing - I am not a fan of duck but the duck breast with his salad was not greasy - actually perfect. For dessert he had the apple pie with homemade vanilla ice cream and I had the trio of sorbets. The cookies with the sorbet reminded me of the taxidermy horns on the lodge walls but whatever?! Service at the front desk and in the dining room was friendly and attentive. We will be going back during the winter to experience that season and plan to try out the Patterson Lake Cabins.

4  Thank BeckyB2
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We visited Sun Mountain Lodge the weekend of September 21st. Sadly, the lodge was surrounded by smoke from the forest fires nearby. We witnessed three weddings on the grounds. One would think that the management would provide perks for the guests: perhaps a discount on the room or a dinner; but no, none were available according to the people working at the front desk. Will we return again? Not sure.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends