“Fantastic Weekend Getaway !”
Review of Sun Mountain Lodge

Sun Mountain Lodge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Winthrop
Reviewed 11 February 2013

If you have been searching for beautiful panoramic scenery of snow blanketed mountains, and spectacular views into the Methow Valley below, then Sun Mountain lodge is just the place to be ! This area is definitely the gateway to God's country! Wonderful isn't even a word to describe the relaxing blue sky sunny weekend that we experienced at the aptly named Sun Mountain Lodge.

A few of the reviews I’ve read referenced a tone of disappointment that there is not TV or spotty cell service … Who cares ! At Sun Mountain Lodge who needs that?? There are plenty of activities to keep you busy, plus it doesn’t hurt to go off the grid from time to time. So get off Facebook and enjoy your time there.

I found the lodge staff to be very accommodating. Despite the fact we arrived earlier than their check-in time, they were able to check us into our room early. Not saying that would happen all the time, but the fact that the process was seamless and their willingness to be so accommodating is huge plus.

We stayed in the Robinson rooms and I must say the views from our room and balcony were absolutely breath taking. It was so quiet; it really felt like we had the entire lodge to ourselves although the lodge was completely booked.

The king sized bed was very comfortable and the mountain range views from the large jetted bathtub was to say the least, spectacular.

It was my first time cross country skiing. The staff at the lodge’s ski shop was very helpful and provided great customer service. One note though, if you are a beginning cross country skier like me, you may wish to park at one of the trail heads to access the easier trails rather than descend from the lodge like I did, it might save you from falling a few times. Bruises are always optional.

Dinner was delightful and the service was top notch 4-5 stars. Ned was our server and he provided ideal service and was very attentive. We didn’t feel hurried and the atmosphere was very tranquil.

Breakfast was also enjoyable. We were seated by the window overlooking the valley and we had clear view as far as the eye could see.

Sun Mountain Lodge is a stunning spot to get away. Can’t wait to return there for summer activities!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Eric W

Reviewed 7 February 2013

What an absolute winter wonderland! We arrived on a Friday with fog in the valley and as we traveled up, up, up to Sun Mountain Lodge, we climbed out of doldrums and into the sun! It was cold (15 degrees) during the four days we were there and beautiful every moment. We stayed in the Gardiner Building and had amazing sunrises each morning (along with delicious breakfast). It's a wonderful spot to get away!

Room Tip: Second level of Gardiner provides great winter views (the bottom floor may have snow piled high).
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 January 2013

This is a very rustic feel type lodge, but has all the comforts of a modern resort. I was only there for a wedding, so I was there for one night. The views were so beautiful but I really felt so lost without a TV!! And.. no cell phone service!! So, it felt very remote. But the lodge itself is beautiful and I really enjoyed the stay. I shared a room with my dad and his girlfriend (now fiance:)) and I slept on the sofa. But it was NOT a pull out sofa bed. It was a VERY comfortable day bed. I think the day bed felt like at least a double size. It was a very comfortable bed. All in all, it was a very peaceful, beautiful and remote type lodge. I enjoyed it. Only thing I would have liked was a TV:)

Room Tip: You cant book a cabin unless you are staying for 2 or more nights.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Beautiful decor, helpful staff, and the best bed we've EVER slept in! The bed has individually wrapped coils or something - it was absolute heaven, as was the view outside our window. Note there is no TV (OK with me), but good internet service. This is a remote location, about 15 minutes from town, so food is limited to on premises unless you drive quite a ways. They have a 5 star restaurant, which unfortunately is only open on the weekends, so we missed it completely. Their bar food was highly acceptable, breakfasts (no buffet, ordered from menu) are awesome. The location has cross country skiing immediately available, with perfectly groomed trails outside your door. Spa was decent, but nothing special - a sauna would be a great addition.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

We have stayed at Sun Mountain many times, and it seems to get better. The staff is very welcoming, the views are outstanding and the rooms are great. We prefer the Gardiner building, but have also stayed in the lodge and the Mt. Robinson building. If you are looking for a cross country ski adventure, Sun Mountain Lodge can't be beat

Reviewed 9 January 2013

This was our 6th winter getaway to Sun Mountain Lodge and we loved every second of it. As business owners in WA we work hard all year. We have looked and stayed at other close get-away elsewhere but always come back to this lodge. This lodge is located 6.7 miles straight up the mountain and this makes you feel like you are a part of a Kincaid drawing. The Mt. Robinson Rooms are cozy with a gas fireplace and a large jacuzzi tub that allows you look at the snow falling outside. Bring your beverages and store them outside on your cold deck! As a horse lover I get my fill with our annual horse drawn sleigh ride ending with a great dinner (tip:they will let you bring a bottle of wine). Every night to the lodge we stargaze at an endless sky full of twinkling lights. By day we snowshoe and for their New Year's Eve party they hosted the cover band for Styxx (they were great!). The best part was heading into town on Sunday and watching the Seahawks with the locals at Three Fingered Jacks.
If you work hard all year and just want to un-plug (phones for the most part don;t work at the lodge and you do not have a tv in you room) then this is a great place to start your New Year~

Room Tip: bring your own bottle of wine and an opener on the dinner sleigh ride, there is no charge and they a...
1  Thank mjseagle1
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Our family, three adult children and spouses and ourselves; 8 in all, spent Christmas at the lodge. Overall we had a wonderful time. There were a lot of activities for the kids; cross country skiing, snow shoeing, sledding as well as family activities; sleigh rides, spa treatments and a wonderful Christmas dinner. The only down side was our encounter with the hostess in the restaurant/bar the first night. When we tried to sit together (and moved chairs to do so) she began YELLING at us saying we were violating fire code. My husband asked if there was anything else we could do and she said "NO!" He then asked if we could eat in the formal dining room. She said, "I have no idea, that is not my area!" This was our first impression of the lodge and I was ready to leave. I'm glad I didn't. It was an isolated incident, but certainly inappropriate under any circumstances. It was a very unfortunate first impression. Other than that, we enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family