“Problems remedied by the GM”
Review of Sun Mountain Lodge

Sun Mountain Lodge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Winthrop
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Had a lovely one night stay with a girlfriend/Mom getaway. Trip booked six months ago. Two pedicures booked at the same time. Some confusion occurred around the pedicures and they were unable to do the treatments. The GM Brian rose to the occasion. The pedicures were rescheduled immediately for the next morning Brian met us at the spa with a lovely bottle of wine and a fruit and truffle plate. Thank you Brian.!! Great afternoon at the pub....super service and fun drinks. The activities staff was excellent and the hikes they suggested were spot on. The gift shop is terrific full of interesting and tasteful items....all in all great time. Looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 August 2013

First time to Sun Mountain Lodge. We had a lovely, quiet room. The property is very nice. Breakfast was included each day with our package and we liked how you could choose off the menu. Food was prepared well. We will return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My family has great memories from Sun Mountain Lodge:
2005 - Bought our kids and snowshoed. Yummy dinner & kids made a fort with cushions from bed. Our daughter went out to the hot tub while it was snowing = magical.
2008 - Family stayed again and skied at nearby Loup-Loup =fun.
2012 - My husband and I stayed for our 20th anniversary and they upgraded our room. The breakfasts were complimentary/wonderful and dinner was outstanding! = retreat.
2013 - Spring: Brought the family again with a reluctant teenager in tow. I told him the ice cream alone was worth the drive. He agreed and was smiling by the end of the day. Excellent service in the sport shop when renting a mountain bike = culinary treat.
Fall: We are returning with another couple = looking forward to it!

Room Tip: Our family of four slept comfortably. Twice we've had the lodge rooms with a king bed and 2 twin...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2013

It took over 1 hour to be seated and 30 minutes for breakfast. They provide a coupon for breakfast as part of our stay but don't staff for it. Food was subpar since cooks were overwhelmed. Waitress did her best but the hotel needs to better manage their resources if they want to keep bragging about the restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank seatttletraveller
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

I appreciate your review and sincerely apologize. We certainly did get backed up. We served over 200 breakfasts. We staffed accordingly but Murphy's Law took over. By 09:30 we had very few people come down to dine, then we just were slammed from that point forward. Rather awkward - it is not often so many show up at about the same time. One waitress logged just over 5 miles of running back and forth to the kitchen in a two hour period! I hope you will try us again!

Reviewed 26 August 2013

My wife and I visited Sun Mountain Lodge for the first time in August for three nights. We stayed in a Mt. Robinson room which was extremely nice. The bed, furnishings and whirlpool tub are worth the extra money. The resort was a nice quiet retreat during out stay. We went into town one afternoon for lunch but otherwise ate in the bar/grill. We did splurge one evening and dined in the restaurant. It was nice, but pricey. Breakfast in the dining room was excellent.

The trail system around the lodge provides good walking and hiking. The folks in the activity center pointed out a couple of good hikes that we walked. Hike early - it gets hot in the afternoon. Mosquite spray is also a good idea.The bugs were not bad, but the trails go by ponds, streams and a lake which always are home to a few bugs.

The Lodge website tauts a wine cellar. It's worth asking to see the room to see the polar bear. But, we were told the wine cellar is only open to events by reservation. While the wine steward visited our table during dinner in the dining room, he was not real helpful and quickly suggested the house wine and never returned.

While the front line staff was universally very helpful, the two times our questions required a response from a manager, we never heard from management. This was disappointing.
The rooms were clean and the daily maid service was excellent. The rooms have refrigerators which makes it easy to save a little by buying a few things in Winthrop.

One very nice thing was the lodge called our home the morning we were leaving to drive from Seattle to inform us the North Cascades Highway was closed. It's a spectacular drive when open. Mud slides resulted in a few days closure, which just happened to be during our trip.

Despite a few minor annoyances, we had a great time and will certainly return sometime.

Room Tip: The Mt. Robinson rooms are excellent! We took others' advice and waited for a second floor room...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your very kind review. Would you mind sharing with me to whom you made requests for management responses? It disturbs me that no one approached me to reply to you, for which I sincerely apologize.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Sun Mountain Lodge is located on top of an open ridge with views down the length of the Methow Valley to the North Cascades and Pasyten Wilderness, beyond. Sitting in the hot tubs at sunset is an experience not to be missed.

We saw dozens of deer, including fawns, and plenty of grouse on the property.

The food is fantastic and the service is great all around. I especially wanted to note that I messed up my reservation through Expedia and selected the wrong weekend (my fault entirely) and Sun Mountain found us a room and made sure I didn't double-pay. Everyone was friendly and understanding.

They also allowed us to sleep five in a room (three small children) which was great.

My wife and daughter took a private horseback riding lessons, which they loved.

Room Tip: The Robinson-Gardner pool is much quieter and more peaceful.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PLCallo
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent 3 nights at Sun Mountain Lodge right before 4th of July. This was our first time in the Methow Valley, a place I had long wanted to go to. The location, setting and scenery are just spectacular. For that alone, I will return. The lodge is well maintained, the service excellent, and it never felt crowded. It is close enough to Wintrop and Twisp to make side trips, but secluded enough that it makes a great place all to itself.

We only had breakfast in the main dining room (food was good), so can't comment on dinner fare. The service here was at times slow and there were new employees being trained which was fine but made things a little disjointed - everyone was however very friendly). We did have one dinner in the bar & grill (good food, no reservation needed, and will save you money over the dining room).

The room was clean, comfortable and had plenty of space. The lodge theme was fine, but it felt a bit dated and my opinion is an update is in order.

I also used the lodge trail system twice to get mountain biking in. The system is extensive and uncrowded. You can ride right from the lodge. There is a lot of variety so you don't have to repeat a trail. I would also return just for the trails (good for hiking also).

Another good thing is the place seemed kid friendly. I would not have expected that, and would not hesitate to bring our kids. I also expected the guests to be by and large older but that also was not the case. It was a good mix.

If you chose to stay here and are looking for good coffee, food/beer and want to get away I highly recommend Blue Star Coffee and Twisp River Brewing, both in Twisp. The food at the brewery is very good, as of course is the beer. The Old School House Brewery in Winthrop is good also, but the food is not of the same caliber in my opinion.

• Stayed: July 2013