“Great way to get away from our busy lives, lots of things to do with kids.”
Review of Sun Mountain Lodge

Sun Mountain Lodge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Winthrop
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I have been going to this resort for years now. When I did not have kids and now when I do. This time I stayed at the cabins, which were perfect for my daughter and I. The beds were comfortable, and they provided every convenience needed. The housekeeping staff was wonderful and were so accomodating if we asked them to return later. I took my daughter to see the horses, out on the lake for a paddle boat ride, running around the little playground and so much more. We did eat mostly in our cabin but did manage to eat at the lodge itself a few times. Again the staff was great and the food wonderful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a peaceful place to leave the sounds and busy life of the city behind them for a few days.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 May 2010

Far, far away from any large city sits this beautifully maintained lodge on the top of the mountain. I woke up each morning to the sun cresting over the mountaintops, and came face to face with tame deer on one of the hiking trails that surround the property. I have never been in a place that had more deer, wild turkeys, and grouse. The hotel staff were all very, very friendly, and check-in was a breeze. Staff were friendly and knowledgable, and the conference facilities were spacious, technologically up to date, and the food was superb, and catering staff, excellent. In the evening, my colleagues relaxed in the huge hot tub that overlooks the Cascades. All in all, I had a wonderful stay. It was absolutely peaceful and quiet and a great getaway to recharge your batteries and de-stress. The only con is that there are no TV's in the room. This would have been nice to see some news at night. I did appreciate the free wireless Internet.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2010

So as part of a road trip my wife and I are taking around Washington, we decide that we'd finally stay at Sun Mountain Lodge. We had heard good things from friends and family and thought it was time to stay there ourselves. Sure, I knew going into it that the price was high, but completely expected that these would be accommodations worthy of the price tag.

Overall, this isn't a bad place at all. The dining last night, a "Wine Maker's Dinner" in the main dining hall was absolutely worth every penny. Truly a wonderful meal. The setting is truly grand. Gorgeous views nearly any direction you look...right now the wild flowers are in bloom and the beauty and fragrance they add is really great. Now, that said, for the $225/night I am paying each night, the room is very underwhelming. I'm sure that they have some nice rooms, but that's not where they stuck us as a couple. There is no mini fridge, the bed is not comfortable at all...and if I so much as move my foot, the whole bed shakes. It is also very poorly lit for night time. There is no TV...not that I really care much as we didn't come here to watch TV, but it's just another basic thing that isn't provided in the rooms. I will say that room has a great view...but I'm sure that all of the rooms do.

The staff has been friendly and helpful for our visit. Questions answered quickly and in a nice manner. The rooms do have free wifi which is nice. The grounds are great. Tennis, horseback trails, mountain biking, hiking, fishing, etc are all available in the spring/summer months.

Overall, our stay has been nice, but it's much too over priced. We also stayed at a $70/night La Quinta Inn earlier on this trip, the that room was nearly as nice as this one. So, I really don't feel this is a good value overall. You can just drive up and use the trails and take advantage of the great dining (though it is spendy) without the cost of staying in the lodge. So, unless you don't mind paying a premium price for the room, you might be better looking for lodging elsewhere. I do think this is a great place for a day or two, but it comes at a price.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2010

I spent a week at Sun Mountain Lodge, primarily to attend a conference of my professional association, but also to enjoy a couple days of R&R beforehand. This was my second stay, the first being about five years before when this conference was last held at the lodge.

One of the chief things to realize in going to Sun Mountain Lodge - and what seems to drive some of the negative reviews - is that you have to be of the mindset that you are largely going to get away from the frenetic pace of the everyday world. It's relatively isolated - the small town of Winthrop is about 10 miles away - and in an area where cell coverage is spotty. With the exception of a very small handful of rooms, the bar/grill, and an entertainment area, there are no TV's. There is good wireless Internet access at the lodge. So with that said, if you're at ease with going "off the grid" for a few days, you're going to enjoy this property immensely.

I stayed in the main lodge, on the second floor facing Mt. Robinson. The rooms are comfortable, and the decor is a bit of an odd mix of unique and generic/"sterile". The bathroom is quite spacious and has the most consistently-unique decor in the entire suite. There was a decent stereo/CD player in the room, so music was always on hand. The bed was a touch on the firm side, but the down pillows and quilt made up for that and enhanced the comfort level, so sleep was generally never a problem. The climate control was easy to use, and actually transitioned between heat and cooling throughout the day on its own to maintain an ideal comfort level. A small coffeemaker was provided in the room. It is my understanding that some rooms have microwaves and small refrigerators, and upon request, a refrigerator can be placed in the room if you do not have one. I did not take advantage of this service during my stay, though.

The conference rooms are generally plain, and not unlike any other typical hotel conference room. But they were perfectly adequate for our association.

Recreation options are plentiful at and near the lodge. There is an activities center providing mountain bike and tennis rentals. Horseback trips are available on-site. Canoeing and paddleboats can also be rented to get out on Patterson Lake, which is about a mile-and-a-half down the hill from the main lodge. Hiking trails are abundant and well-marked. Fly fishing trips can also be arranged, and the staff will also help secure tee times at golf courses in Winthrop, Twisp, or even down at Chelan (about an hours' drive away). There is a game room in the main lodge, featuring two pool tables, foosball, and ping-pong. There is a library and other areas to sit and relax.

Dining at the lodge is likely to be the primary option during any stay. There are restaurants down in Winthrop and Twisp that might be a little less expensive. But given that the businesses in both towns close up early, and it is about a 20-minute drive down to either town (in good weather), it might take away some of the motivation to go away from the lodge for meals. Prices for the most commonly-available meals at the lodge - in the bar/grill - are not unlike most hotels/resorts ($10-$20 for most entrees). But the quality of the food and portions are perfectly acceptable. Breakfasts in the dining room are good - if slightly unspectacular - and provide a good start to the day. Then, if you choose to splurge, dinners available in the dining room are simply marvelous. The wine selection is very good, and all the dinner courses are simply exquisite.

Customer service throughout the lodge - from the housekeepers to the concierge to the food service staff - is excellent. Everyone is courteous, friendly, and consistently seek - without being annoying - to ensure that your needs are met. They will even go so far as to seek out information on mountain pass conditions (important on this trip) and will make arrangements for events in town.

Finally, the lodge takes advantage of the spectacular 360-degree views from its perch. It is hard not to enjoy or find relaxation in sitting in your room staring out the window, or walking around the outside of the property to look at the stunning landscape, and see all the wildlife (highlighted by the huge mule deer herds in the area).

I am not sure that this would be a property for families with young children, if only because I think young kids would get easily bored (based on observations of other guests during my stay). Again, I would suggest that your enjoyment of Sun Mountain Lodge is going to be largely dependent on your willingness to be away from a lot of modern conveniences and take advantage of enjoying the surroundings in a relatively remote part of Washington State. Expect to pay a little more than your average hotel stay, but for a four-diamond property and my own enjoyment of the property and area, I find it a perfectly good expenditure for a getaway.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2010

I have always wanted to stay at Sun Mountain Lodge. Now that I have, I don't understand what people rave about. Because of the early dark nights, no lights for driving and a 10-15 min windy drive to town, I never left the lodge. I was bored and felt trapped.

Food/bev - there are only two choices for dining. The main dining room is very expensive, so I ate at the more casual bar/grill. There is little variety on the menu and too many game meat selections. I got very bored with the choices. The service was okay. Wine by the glass choices was moderate. At each meal, my water glass smelled like bleach. Coffee and espresso were awful.

Main rooms - the lodge has beautiful grand fireplaces. On more than one occasion the lobby area smelled like gas. The conference rooms were freezing cold and had poor AV. The cell phones interferred with the audio and gave a horrible sound that interrupted the presentations. Why can't they fix the problem? Every other hotel conference room can handle cell phones and AV. The catering for snacks was better than the bar/grill.

Guest rooms -The bed was nice, but the comforter was a little thin for the winter. The bathroom was very nice. I had a room with a TV. Thank goodness, as most guests had to sit around community televisions to watch. It felt like a dorm room. The lighting in the rooms was poor.

Spa- way too expensive

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Stayed here on Valentine's Day on their Sparkling Wine Dinner package. The room was lovely, but the dinner was a major disappointment. The website advertised it next to a photo of their wine cellar and described it as the "luxurious Payseten room". In reality it was held in a nondescript, windowless conference room with group seating and paper cut-out hearts attached to the ceiling like a junior high dance. At a price of $140/couple in such a highly rated location one expects better.

I felt strongly enough about it to leave a letter with the front desk for the General Manager. I didn't ask for any compensation, but I did expect the GM to send an acknowledgement of the note and a thank you for bringing it to his attention. That seems like the appropriate action. Instead, now two weeks later I bristle at both the initial affront and the added insult that either the staff did not give him the letter or he saw fit not to respond. Either way I regard it as poor management decisions and I expect better of the place that advertises its partnership with a Relaix-Chateau property.

It's too bad. The location is wonderful and the rest of the staff seemed quite good, but I would question how long that can last if the present management acts in such a way.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DragonMartini
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2010

Although all but one table indicated they were satisfied and happy with the event, I think we erred in how we put this together and I certainly took this letter to heart. We will go back to our original format of previous years.

I am surprised to read that my letter was not received. I wrote and invited the guest back at my cost, including dinner. Not only did we owe home this, but a massive thankyou for bringing this to my attention so we know to change back.

Reviewed 4 November 2009

Glorious place, a place to remember.
Stunning location, excellent food, amazing swimming pools – love it.
Paradise.