“Great experience”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Winthrop
Portland, Oregon
“Great experience”
Reviewed 28 July 2010

If you are looking for mountain scenery, great views from your room and gourmet dining, this is the place. We had heard about the lodge from friends, and it was everything we had hoped for. Hiking can be done right from your room and sitting by the pool overlooking the North Cascades National Park mountains is truly amazing. The food and wine selection was terrific, with imaginative ingredients and presentation. We will be going back to this special place.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Just got back from three nights (July 18-20) at Patterson Lake cabins at Sun Mountain Lodge (cabin 614). Great setup they have down there, right on the lake in a cottonwood grove full of deer, rabbits, birds of all kinds (saw hawks and a bald eagle), chipmunks and of course kids having a great time. We spent very little time up at the main lodge, but we did our initial check-in up there, and the folks seemed very nice. We also used the activities desk up at the lodge. Kudos to Kevin there, who tried to teach me to fish with patience and good humor. We caught no fish, just a little lake weed, but it was fun anyway. We swam in the lake, and after the initial shock, it felt great! Spent a lot of time just sitting on the front porch, enjoying the scenery. Take some mosquito repellent along with you, as those little critters do come out when the wind is calm.

Our housekeeping staff for our cabin did an excellent job. Our one-bedroom cabin was very neat and clean, and well set-up for us to prepare our own meals. Housekeeping were very helpful and attentive. The gentleman who staffs the office at Patterson Lake and maintains the grounds there likewise was very helpful. Everything was well-maintained, from the dock to the barbecue area to the landscaping. There are all kinds of boats you can rent, from paddle boats to sunfish to rowboats, just nothing with a motor (not allowed on this pristine lake).

Patterson Lake is is definitely the place for families, and there were lots of kids having a great time without phones, tv, or internet connectivity (the main lodge is a little more plush and upscale, and does have wi fi). We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank northwestnerd
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We recently spent the night at the Sun Mountain Lodge for our 3rd anniversary. We splurged on a room in the Mt. Robinson building and did not regret it. The balcony was peaceful and we had a great view of the mountain from the bathtub too! The bed was comfy and the lighting in the room (including the gas fireplace) is very romantic. (Plus there are no TVs! Yeah! No ESPN to distract my hubby!) We arrived early and took a 90 minute horseback ride which I highly recommend. It is a great way to see the Sun Mountain property-- they will take you through the woods, along a creek, and all the way to the top of the hill. We also ate dinner in the Lodge. The reviews of the restaurant on Trip Adviser are very mixed, so I didn't know what to expect, but we found dinner to be fabulous. (Go for the homemade ice cream for dessert!) Breakfast the next morning was equally delicious. There are also a few cute little restaurants in Winthrop and a super yummy candy shop with caramel covered marshmellows that are just sinful. Overall, this is a great little getaway spot. Unless you are a hardcore hiker, you might get bored if you stayed an entire week, but this was the perfect spot for a long weekend with your honey.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 June 2010

This resort is DEFINITELY worth the cost. Views are truly spectacular, and the room design is comfortable and takes advantage of the setting. I travel frequently, and this is the best room design I've seen. The jetted hot tub while looking out the windows was great. The design allowed for uncovered windows throughout with no issue of anyone seeing in. The bathroom even opened up to allow the views to be reflected in the mirror. We opted for the upper end room to get the king bed and balcony, and loved every minute of it. Room 420 was awesome - with a great deck overlooking snow capped peaks and green valleys, and fawns playing right under our deck. I'd recommend a room on the upper level - which is where we were - as views were definitely best there. The king/balcony rooms are also at the end, keeping it quiet and likely allowing for more wildlife, and a separate pool and hot tub services those rooms. We were there mid-week, so it's likely busier on weekends, but we frequently had that hot tub/pool to ourselves.

The plan which included breakfast daily was a nice option. Breakfasts were great, served in the upscale dining room with great views. The hot tub and pool also made use of the views, and felt good after active days enjoying the setting. The resort offers a broad assortment of activities -- hiking, horseback riding, mountain bike riding, spa, etc., which offered both of us plenty to do, together and separately. Walking around with the camera, including taking photos of the landscaping, was enjoyable. Kit at the stables made sure horses and saddles were very comfortable, and was incredibly entertaining and interesting. I did a 1 1/2 hour ride and the dinner ride, and enjoyed both. Hanks guitar and cowboy music gave us the true western feel on the dinner ride. When I return, I'd do a breakfast or dinner ride as well as a longer ride because of the comfort and great scenery.

The only activity that disappointed us was kayak rental at Patterson Lake (a sister resort to Sun Mountain). The lake is much prettier when looking at it, rather than being 'on' it, and the kayaks were plastic floats that you sit on top of - which were real back killers. That's truly my only criticism of the entire 3 day experience.

Food was good, and various choices were offered from upscale to burgers or salad on the deck.

Staff was exceptional. We tested this when our car wouldn't start and had to be towed. We needed a ride into town to pick it up, and the manager's wife graciously drove us several miles into Twisp at no cost.

A trip into Winthrop is worthwhile. It's touristy, but no neon and a fun place to wander for an afternoon with lots of fun shops and restaurants.

We will definitely return, and would highly recommend Sun Mountain.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SadieWisconsin
Mill Creek, Washington
Reviewed 19 June 2010

My wife and I came to the Sun Mountain Lodge for Memorial Day weekend and it definitely exceeded our expectations. The beauty of the mountains and hills all around you is just something you need to see. You can't get enough of it!

The Room:
The room that we stayed in had no TV, which we thought was truly fitting for the location. Sun Mountain Lodge's aim is clearly, making your stay there truly a relaxing escape away from the typical busyness of life. We were very GLAD to see no TV in our room. I can't say for certain if all guest rooms do not have TV's, though I think that may be the case. I certainly think the "no in room TV" policy is a very smart decision and applaud it. I know for sure if we wasted time watching TV or Movies in our room, it would have taken away from the whole experience of being where we were.

The room was very nice and well appointed with quality, very tasteful furniture. The wall paint was a very soothing and relaxing tone. The lighting fixtures all have sensitive switches so you can get just the right amount of light that you want in the room. This was very nice. There are overhead lamps above each side of the bed, that swivel over to the position you want. This was great for reading while my wife was sleeping at night and not bothering her.

The bathroom was very nice. It had a large marble or granite countertop with dual sinks. The room had a large jetted tub and a glass enclosed stand up shower next to it. The bathroom had no cleanliness issues and my wife is super anal about cleanliness of bathrooms.

Our room had a gorgeous view of the scenery around us. I found myself taking a ton of nature shots from our room. All in all....the rooms are excellent and fitting for the environment around you. Which is simply stunning.

Dining:
We enjoyed meals at the on-site Grill restaurant, as well as the nicer "Dining Room" restaurant just next door. The food was very good in both places. It's no bargain, but you get what you pay for.

Service:
The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mawk1
Reviewed 14 June 2010

My husband and I stayed hoping for a lovely relaxing weekend. The rooms were adequate, although not equal to the price, and they put us in a room over looking the pool. Uncommonly loud is the best way to explain it. We could not relax, because any time spent in the room was accompanied with listening to the screaming at the pool - until late at night. If you have to stay here do not reserve online. Make sure to speak with a representative who can help you carefully choose your room.

• Stayed May 2010
Bellingham, WA
Reviewed 12 June 2010

My mom and I stayed here for three nights on the Mayflower Package. It was our first time and we were very excited to come here.

If you are going to stay here, I think a package deal is the way to do it. I'm not sure that the value would be here otherwise.

Like some other reviews have indicated, for the reputation and the cost of the rooms, you would expect everything to be 100% top notch. I used to work in the travel industry and I have stayed in five star hotels worldwide, so I do have some experience here.

Room: We stayed in a Valley View room in the Lodge. It had a view of Patterson Lake in the distance and the surrounding valley and hills, which was lovely... (and also the hotel parking lot, but if you stood back from the window, you didn't see that!)

Upon arrival, I noticed a dirty q-tip (from a previous guest?) on the floor by one of the chairs. One of the washcloths in the bathroom was stained. The shower was antiquated and inadequate (anyone over 5'4" or so would have a difficult time). The tub did not drain properly..it would back up while you were taking your shower.

We almost ran out of toilet paper, and we did run out of Kleenex. Our soap, shampoo and lotion were also not replenished during our stay. Again, the little things that you expect from a hotel that places itself in this calibre of hotels.

The bedspreads needed updating, and the bedding was adequate but not stellar. In general, the room needed some renovation to update it and keep it fresh looking (especially the bathroom!)
Things were just starting to look a little long in the tooth.

We did ask to see some other rooms, to compare. We saw the suite in the Lodge, and two rooms in the Gardner building. These are both considerably more expensive, and in our opinion, did not rise to the price. The Gardner suite had a fantastic view of the mountain, but not really that much more room or amenities, and goes for about $300-$400 in the high season.

Staff: Pleasant, friendly, and helpful, although service could be sporadic. The dining room is closed for dinner on Thurs-Sun, so we ate in the Wolf Creek Bar and Grille at night. Food was okay. A little overpriced for what you got..and $8 for a scoop of ice cream for dessert? Breakfast in the dining room was included in the package..again the food was good, but I wouldn't say "spectacular."

The grounds, though, and the setting, are SPECTACULAR! The hiking trails are amazing and superbly maintained. Everything is pristine outdoors. The scenery and setting exceeded expectations. I expected Julie Andrews to come out singing in her dirndl at any minute!

The weather was too cool to use the pool, but both pool areas were lovely and had stunning views to the peaks.
In my opinion, the best reason to stay here is the proximity to the outdoors and outdoor activities. You are truly staying in a natural wonderland of unsurpassed beauty. That is what you are paying for.

My mom and I both decided that we would come back here again on a package, because we loved the hiking trails and the surrounding grounds. But we might choose to eat in Winthrop or Twisp for dinner. (They are not that far away.)

Overall, a nice place, but if you are thinking solely of the accommodations (room and amenities)...not really any better than a Hampton Inn or Fairfield Inn.
Stay on a package to get the best value here.

• Stayed June 2010
2 Thank Jeannexa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winthrop
Mt Gardner Inn
#1 of 3 in Mazama
Twisp River Suites
Twisp River Suites
#1 of 5 in Twisp

Been to Sun Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!