“Good breakfast, ambiance has gone away” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Duck Brand Hotel and Cantina

Duck Brand Hotel and Cantina
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winthrop
Duck Brand Hotel and Cantina
Ranked #9 of 10 Winthrop B&B and Inns
“Good breakfast, ambiance has gone away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

We have eaten here other trips a few years ago for dinner only. Back then, it was still the old-west style inside with antiques, low lighting, dark wood, etc. We understood this place now has new ownership, management and we saw that the inside had been remodeled. The remodeling is fresher, lighter and opens it up a bit. But, it has much more boring personality and feels like a lunchroom inside. I'm sad they didn't keep the charm. In any case, we had a hearty, good blueberry pancake and eggs breakfast. All seemed tasty enough.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OmegaPleiades

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

My wife and I visit Winthrop for a week at least once a year, from Kelowna BC. We stay at Sun Mountain Lodge, and often drive down to the town for breakfast or lunch, at the Duck Brand Inn. We've been doing this for years, and have always been delighted with the place. Excellent Mexican food served piping hot will get your day off to a roaring start! We're usually there in the winter so indoors is where to be, but in the summer it's very pleasant to dine al fresco, on the front deck with a stream running underneath you.Service is friendly and casual - I guess you could say the whole experience is casual, but good fun. I recommend the "senorita" breakfast - a fairly large agglomeration of eggs, beans, rice, peppers. Don't touch the plate!
We have never stayed in the hotel, and are rather saddened to see the negative comments even though they may well be deserved. We really like the restaurant, and will be back in the Spring.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
seattle wa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

This hotel is essentially a meth lab...I travel back and forth through this area often and due to a major car malfunction I got stuck here. I've reviewed this hotel before and had a terrible experience and against my better judgement to sleep in the bush's nearby I wound up once again in the crypt.

Music bumping until 11 rattling through my windows from the bar down stairs became drunk staff perhaps or patrons staying late spilling into the street at 2 am. I called down to complain the front desk but received a rather cryptic response of 'it is what it is.'

I arose to the twang of guitars and stevie ray vaughn at 7am as the morning crew came in. In the morning the smell of urine, beer, and cigarettes rose up to the balcony over looking a pine tree and I knew it was time to go.

Until fate brings us together again.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the bar. Be told there are none. ;)
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank yourfriend2day

Travellers are raving about these Winthrop hotels

Mercer Island, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

When I booked the place I was attracted to the price and reputation of the establishment. Sadly I didn't read the reviews until after I arrived. The place is, as one reviewer put it, a nosedive to bankruptcy. Clearly they are in financial dire straits as the upkeep has slipped. Too bad as the location is great.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Delmerson
Seattle, Washington, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

This place is in a nosedive to hell. It's been three years since I last reviewed the Duck Brand, and it's changed drastically. Sad to say, it's not for the better. I used to really enjoy a night here. Not now. Not until lots of changes are made, if ever.

The room was the same as far as the bed. That's about it.

The door lock was broken. The TVs in the rooms no longer work since the owner (I'm told) failed to pay the cable charge and there is no local broadcast. There was no toilet paper holder. The vent fan didn't work. Ditto the air conditioner/heater. There was lots and lots of mold and dirt in the bathroom, which appeared not to have been cleaned in weeks or months. On the balcony outside (no handles on the door) were beer bottles, food scraps, cigarette butts, and assorted litter from an obvious party.

The frazzled waitperson/check-in clerk was in her first week of work and obviously no one trained her. Other than the cook, she was the only person working at dinnertime! Not her fault that she didn't know how to check-in a guest, nor did she know how to use the credit card machine. And she gave us a room key for a room which was already occupied. She was nice and polite and I felt for her as she was trying her best to wait on five tables, clear two tables, and check me in to a room.

The next morning at check-out, I voiced my concerns to the (very nice and polite) only person working. She did the right thing and made a very satisfactory adjustment to the room tariff.

I really hate to see this place falling in flames, as it so obviously has great potential to return to it's very enjoyable past. But I doubt it. Obviously, the owners just don't care. Period.

My advice if you are looking for a place to stay in the area and don't wish to pay the overly expensive rates being asked by the other Winthrop places: drive the 9.5 miles to Twisp and stay at the Idle-A-While motel. See reviews of the place here and read mine.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tominseattle
Britsh Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

We did not stay here but we did eat here. I see a mixed bag of reviews here - quite a few bad reviews of the food, etc. Our food experience was good. Service was good and friendly. We sat out on the deck overlooking the street - a nice atmosphere but a very old building that needs some repair work. We had the two specials for the evening which were both a seafood dish and enjoyed them both.

I am not sure if I would stay here - maybe if I looked at a room first. It is just such an old building that needs some repair and maintenance. This does create an interesting atmosphere though.

This is not the first time we have ate here and I would eat here again as we have not yet had a bad experience.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Goodyear, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

Last year we ate dinner here and it was quite good and we enjoyed sitting on the patio overlooking the town. However, this year we were very disappointed with the Mexican entree that we ordered and in fact couldn't eat it. The personnel were very kind in our criticism and apologized.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple