“Only OK”
Review of Willows Lodge

Willows Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Woodinville
Reviewed 9 May 2013

If you are going to do a tour of wineries in Woodinville, this is really the only place to stay. Having said that, it was pretty average against expectations. First, its a nice property. If your benchmark for rating it as a "4 or 5" is a Marriott, then you will likely be OK. For me, a "5" is like a Four Seasons and on that scale, this property does not measure up. Just felt a little tired for me. Carpets were a little worn, little things here and there that said it was time to freshen up the property that has high potential. Our room (which was a suite) overlooked the main courtyard. Do not do that. There was a band playing for the lounge and along with crowd noise in the bar, it was less than the relaxing, tranquil environment we were counting on. We had dinner at the Barking Frog. If dinner was really good, might have pushed this to a "4", but was actually disappointed. The service was pretty uneven. Barking Frog is advertised as "fine dining". I would describe it more as pretty good casual. The menu was pretty creative, but the food was just average. I live in Seattle area, eat out regularly, and we are pretty spoiled by a lot of good restaurants and this would not stack up in the top 25%. If you are in Seattle for a few days and want to include a tour of Woodinville wineries, stay downtown and make the trip out for the day.

Room Tip: Do not get a room overlooking main courtyard to avoid noise from lounge.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SeattlePickyTraveler
Matt H, General Manager at Willows Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Seattlepickytraveler -

Thank you staying with us at Willows Lodge. We appreciate your candid and genuine feedback about your experience with us. We take great pride in making a personal connection and creating a lifelong experience. In your case we clearly did not connect with you as we should have. The real magic of Willows Lodge as represented in many other reviews is the rustic luxury, mixed with the wonderful people both staff and guests that you will meet while you are here.

I hope that we have the chance to have you back soon and we are able to show you a bit more of this special place than were able to in your recent visit.

Matt

Write a ReviewReviews (1,150)

Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed here one weekend night after having a great dinner at the Herb Farm. The rooms are rustic and romantic with a deep whirl pool bath tub and a separate shower. The toiletries are good but not too many freebies which is nice for the environment as it saves on those little plastic bottles. What I didn't like is that there was no full length mirror in our room - maybe that's a blessing? We had some crepes for breakfast the next morning which were ok. If you are hungry, I recommend the barking frog restaurant which is right outside the hotel.

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a view on the garden that is maintained by the herb farm restaurant, my h...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Matt H, General Manager at Willows Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

karinnat -

Thank you for joining us at the Lodge and visiting The Herbfarm. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the rustic luxury of the lodge, the tub and our "green" approach to the in room amenities. We hope to have you back soon and enjoy another night away at Willows Lodge.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Such a treat. We drove here from Boise for a little get away. WOW!!! Everything about our stay was so AMAZING!!! The hotel is so enchanting. The gardens are spectacular, I lost myself in them several times. The rooms are large, yet cozy. The bedding is high thread count and so soft. We don't sleep well on the road, not the case here. Huge spa tub. Flat screen TV for those who care. After our tour and dinner at Red Hook Brewery, we came back and played backgammon by the fire place and sipped on delicious martinis and calamari while the staff made sure we were well taken care of. Make sure you eat at the Barking Frog while there and splurge on the spa. The Herbfarm on the property is a MUST for breakfast!!! LOVELY!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank melissa S

Thank you so very much for the great review. We are so pleased to have helped create this memorable experience.

We look forward to your return and the gardens will be here waiting for you get lost again...

Reviewed 7 May 2013

We enjoyed a three night stay at the Willows during the Skagit Valley Tullip festival. Very nice, quiet, and the staff were very friendly and engaging. The Fireside Lounge in the lobby was fun. One night they had a free cooking demo during Happy Hour, with the their Chef from the Barking Frog and one from a local winery. It was well attended, informative, and fun. It is a monthly accurance, I beleive on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Matt H, General Manager at Willows Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Cathy S

Thank you for choosing Willows Lodge and making the drive from Yakima! The tulip festival is such a great experience and it sounds as if you saw it in full bloom when it is really something special. We are happy to hear that you had the chance to catch a cooking class in fireside with our chef Booby Moore.

We appreciate the review and pleased you enjoyed your time at Willows Lodge.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Great Location next to numerous wineries. Front desk staff were always eager to help out and very friendly. Nice and clean rooms. We didn't try out the spa but some friends who stayed with us did and said it was great. We brought our two dogs and they got little treats. Dog food dishes and they even have a room service menu for the dog food. The grounds around the hotel were nice as well with a great Herb garden that the Herb Garden Restaurant uses daily for their meals.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

We stayed only one night and it wasn't enough. Beautiful lodge with a West coast design surrounded with beautiful gardens, lots of wood and the Barking Frog restaurant on the premises. Make sure to visit this restaurant with a warm atmosphere and great food, as well as a great selection of Washington wine. We had the nicer room and we really enjoyed the view of the little pond with the fountain while sitting on the balcony. There is a brewery next door and wineries all around.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Matt H, General Manager at Willows Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2013

Toads2011 -

There is an easy solution for your challenge of "1 night not being long enough". Come back soon and stay longer, we love to have you!

Thank you for the great review and we will have another room overlooking the pond ready when you return.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Once i was on a plane and a woman told me the next time you go to Washington, MAKE SURE you treat yourself to a couple of spa days here. A couple of years later, i had the opportunity to do so after business meetings in WA. As soon as i arrived, this lovely woman Meg (you will see her mentioned in the other reviews...) handed me a glass of wine, which was what i really needed, checked me in, and somehow, in the background, took care of me the rest of my stay. Does she own this place? Probably not, she just acts likes she does, in the very best way. My plans to visit wineries evaporated, i stayed in and totally loved every minute of my stay. Had a chicken lunch in the spa which was the best meal I've had in, um, maybe the best ever, actually. But I struggle with the fact that the burger I had in the bar the next night truly was the best thing I've ever eaten... I had a lavender bath that evening while watching TV in my awesome room. Bottle of wine, French Press coffee in the room, there's nothing this place doesn't know how to do right - better than right. I am saving up for my next visit, I'll be bringing other lucky guests with me. PS the server in the bar, another lovely woman with a short platinum haircut - she's also in the business of running that hotel and doing a GREAT job of making people feel happy. Thank you all so much!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Matt H, General Manager at Willows Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

It appears that I have several people to thank.

Thank you "DeeNewYork" for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to write this review.
Thank you to the lovely person on the airplane for pointing you in our direction.
Thank you to Meg and the other many great team members that take so much pride and ownership of working at Willows Lodge every day.

We look forward to your return, early and often.

Matt

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodinville
Salish Lodge & Spa
#1 of 1 in Snoqualmie
Belltown
The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel
Inn at the Market
#1 of 104 in Seattle
Cedarbrook Lodge
#1 of 35 in SeaTac

Been to Willows Lodge? Share your experiences!