“Delightful experience, but expensive and very small portions”
Review of The Herbfarm

The Herbfarm
More attraction details
Owner description: This Herbfarm sells herbs, conducts classes on herbs and a restaurant that serves meals cooked with fresh herbs.
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Our kids treated us to dinner here for our 70th birthdays. It was the 100 mile menu and I appreciated the care and consciousness to celebrate eating locally as the average bite of food travels thousands of miles. We toured the sample herb garden on site as one of the owners had us taste all the different herbs and explained how they were being used in our upcoming meal. That was interesting as well as the history of how a little herb stand developed into this famous restaurant. When I perused the 9 course menu I thought we were going to be uncomfortably stuffed, but in reality each course is just a few bites. Delicious bites, artistically arranged, but my husband and son left feeling they didn't get filled up. The best part was spending 4 and a half hours in uninterrupted conversation with our kids, while we were well taken care of with excellent service. So, it was fun as a treat and to experience this restaurant we've heard about, but if we were paying for it ourselves, we would choose another nice restaurant.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

This has to have been the most complete dining experience I've ever had. The evening began with a tour of the herb gardens on site, the history of the development of the restaurant, and a relaxing tour of the inside including the wine cellar. Our seating was made very personal with a name card at each place. We had the "100 Mile Dinner" which included anything they could procure within 100 miles of the restaurant. Each course was introduced at length and the hostess and host made a point of stopping by each table to chat with the patrons. Everything was so good! It was worth the trip out of Seattle for the evening, we had to rent a driver/car as we didn't need a vehicle for anything else on that trip. It's worth noting that a couple of weeks after we returned home we received a nice note, handwritten, from the hostess thanking us for the visit. Very personable and memorable!

Reviewed 5 March 2013

Wow! What a treat, and a real dining experience. The focus is on super fresh Pacific NW ingredients, and there are various themes that rotate through seasonally. We ate there this past weekend and the theme was beef. So choose your reservation around the theme you'll most enjoy. There are 9 courses with matched wines. And the service portion is perfect for the multiple courses you'll enjoy. Each wine pored is about 2-3 oz, so driving yourself after the meal wouldn't be recommended. The food is very fresh (roe from trout caught the evening before), the preparation very creative with the entire kitchen open for viewing as the chef's prepare and plate the servings. This was a wonderful experience. We've eaten a few times at the French Laundry, which is a 3 star Michelin restaurant. It is great, but so is this experience. The Herb Farm does what it does, very very well. The seating is mostly family style so you'll also have the opportunity to meet some new friends. One couple at our table was celebrating their anniversary that evening, and it was an annual tradition for them. Again, this is a set menu. If you don't care for the theme when you look on-line, consider another night.

Reviewed 18 December 2012

My wife is taking me on the Top Chef cruise in April just so that I can get my fill of "truffle stuffed bird nest soup" or whatever delicacies they will be serving. I have dined at restaurants by Emeril Lagase, Thomas Keller, Todd English, Jamie Oliver, Nobu Matsuhisa, Tom Colicchio, Sam Choi, Wolfgang Puck, and other James Beard and Michelin Star awardees. I once drove 100 km through the Italian Hill Country just so I could visit Dario Cecchini's butcher shop.

Having hopefully establish my credentials as a serious foodie, I can honestly say that the best dining experiences I have ever had have been at The Herbfarm restaurant. At last count I think that I have been there about a dozen times over the past ten years.

We started going there when Jerry Traunfeld was the executive chef. He was able to do things with local ingredients that were amazing. When he left several years ago, the restaurant went into a kind of slump. But it is back again with a new young executive chef (sorry but I don't remember his name).

The dinner menus change every couple weeks with a new themed (truffles, Kobe Beef, red wine, vegetarian, Copper River salmon, etc.) nine course, six wine menu. The dinners last about five to six hours with the owners (Ron Zimmerman and Carrie Van Dyck explaining each ingredient in every dish along the way. The staff is wonderful and make each guest feel special.

My favorite dishes that I have had over the years have been evergreen tree sorbet (it tastes like Christmas if Christmas had a flavor), maple blossom fritters, and everything on the vegetarian menu (quite a compliment given that I am a hard-core carnivore).

This is truly a "special occasion" type experience for those who want an incredibly memorable experience that they will be comparing favorably to every other fine dining experience they have ever had.

Reviewed 4 August 2012

First of all I don't understand how there can only be 5 reviews. I stayed at the Willows and spent a few days in Woodinville....and basically planned the whole trip around my dinner reservations at The Herbfarm. (I was lucky enough to get dinner reservations a few days before - I got a cancellation). With expectations so high, I really didn't see how I could be "wowed"....but I was. This place really is everything people say it is. From the garden tour onward (there was something like 8 courses). A fantastic evening. I took my boyfriend there for his birthday, and they were thoughtful enough to have a silver-framed place marker with his name, wishing him Happy Birthday. Did I mention there are additional flights of wines you can order? (I ordered a flight of champagne with arrived with Krug, Veuve (Grand Dame, I think), AND a glass Dom Peringnon. I also went out to feed the pigs (borage and basil). When you consider the whole package, the only thing that i regret is that it's going to be a looooong time (if ever) before I can beat this one....this is officially the "high bar". If you're reading this and considering going...you HAVE to go. :)