“Excellent Place to stay”

Auberge de Seattle, French Country Inn
Ranked #7 of 7 Woodinville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I just spent the most relaxing and wonderful weekend at “L'Auberge at The Edge of Seattle B&B Inn” in Woodinville.
The Proprietress, Nancy Douglas was very welcoming, the room had everything I could possibly need and more.
I stayed in the “Studio” it has a stunning view and access to an outdoor patio. In addition, it has internet wireless access, refrigerator, and a lounging area.

The bathroom was amazing with a hydro-massage jetted tub and heated tiles. The room came with a hearty French Continental Breakfast, which was assorted French breakfast sweetbreads made by Nancy that morning, they were still warm.
There was also in the room a pitcher of milk, coffee, sugar, tea, yogurt, fresh fruits, granola and cereals. In the evening there was desert and a bottle of sparkling wine ;-)

I can’t wait until the summer so I can go back and enjoy the garden. I am also planning on taking the cooking class.

I will recommend this wonderful Inn to anyone looking for a place to relax and enjoy good food and a friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Francis G

Reviewed 21 November 2011

We stayed using a LivingSocial package that included one night in the honeymoon suite, a bottle of vin rousseaux, a massage and breakfast for two (which we upgraded to the country breakfast). The room was large and well appointed, though a little worn in spots. The bathroom was large, with large tub and shower and bidet. The shy might long for better window coverings in the bath. The grounds were lovely. A delicious snack of date bars was awaiting us.

Massage was fine except conducted in a cramped spare bedroom with harsh lighting so not as relaxing as I'd hope.

I assumed the vin rousseaux (I'm probably not spelling it right) meant we'd get a true French Champagne. What we got was Spanish sparkling wine. Perhaps a misunderstanding on my part. It was fine regardless.

The room smelled strongly of mothballs. We lit the wood fire ASAP to help cover the odor. We had a quiet evening without TV.

The breakfast was served in our room, and was good except was lacking the advertised "sweetbreads" (which I assumed meant "sweet breads" and not the organ meat). Price a bit high. If we had not upgraded we could have eaten the yogurt and granola in the fridge on the patio, though it was a small portion. Breakfast included juice, but the only coffee available was the Costco package in our room.

Our hostess seemed a little grouchy, maybe it was my imagination.

There are many great B&B's in the area that I would recommend over this one. Their cooking school might be worth a try - I got a peek at the kitchen and it seemed well appointed.

Room Tip: I wouldn't try anything except the honeymoon suite.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tom B
Reviewed 5 September 2011

The good. The settings (buildings and landscaping).
The bad: Breakfast was horrible, the service was deplorable.

For a background, we have stayed at some very nice B&B's from Savannah, GA to Seattle, WA. The worst breakfast over the years was frozen waffles from a package along with the worst service. Sadly, this one beats that!!!!!!!
This B&B had some decent write ups so we do not know what has happened to it. We were shocked.

Starting with the bathroom. After a long trip and while on the toilet seat (siège d'un cabinet d'aisances) and reaching for the paper in the covered ceramic holder, oh oh....there wasn't any...just the round cardboard piece that the paper had been wrapped on. While sitting I searched for another holder behind the shower curtain....NO.... then under the towel on the rack in front of me....NO.......I’m in Trouble Now...

I managed to open up the doors of the under sink cabinet and spotted a single roll butt it was on the far side of the cabinet and out of reach.
Decision time: do I take a chance and leave the safety of the seat. do a super stretch and cobra strike to grab the roll hoping that nothing hits the floor or do I stand up and squeeze my cheeks together, hop over, get the paper, then hop back....I finally opted for the latter and made it.

Breakfast.....a disaster. It was self catered....some cheerios, oatmeal. In the ice box two small Greek yogurts. Some nice freshly baked caramel breakfast rolls (3) were to be set outside the sliding door of our room to enjoy. They just didn't look right. The instructions were to microwave for 11 seconds. The results were three HOCKEY PUCKS.... uneatable..........they seem to shrink during the 11 seconds and would have discarded by the NHL for being too hard.

The Coffee. We were given a single packet of coffee from Costco.
There were no coffee filters. I attempted to find the hostess but without success. I ended up using some paper towels from my car to make a filter. After adding water and pressing the brew button, nothing happened. The electrical outlet was working but I tried another one, no luck. I banged the coffee maker a few times on the sink and it started brewing then it stopped. A few more bangs and it started up again. I kept my distance from the coffee maker just in case something unexpected happened.

The hostess finally showed up and asked how it was going and in the same breath said the rolls did not turn out right adding somehow they did not rise. She said that she did not know what happened. (this person gives cooking classes!!!). I explained about the coffee filter but I left the toilet paper story alone. She commented, "I hope that you are not mad at me".

We just wanted to get out of that place ASAP, we packed and left.

The hostess seemed preoccupied with selling us everything from trips to cooking classes to upgrading our breakfast (for another $60). That resulted in the absence of any customer service.

Other issues:
We asked for directions to a winery in the area but in mid sentence she just stopped and left?
The TV remote channel up and down button was inoperative/broken.
The love seat next to the TV blocked one of the TV cabinet doors so you had to sit in a hard wood chair instead.
The hostess needs help with the chores or responsibilities.
She is trying to do too much and has compromised the service, the rooms and the basics. Serving the uneatable breakfast rolls to us instead of substituting them with something that we would have enjoyed is just not good business.
The bottom line is; stay away. Spend your money somewhere else.

Room Tip: stay away until things improve
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank scenicpl
Proprietress, Owner at Auberge de Seattle, French Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2011

• We make mistakes!
• Like any company with a human dimension, Auberge de Seattle cannot claim to be perfect. However, we do continually endeavor to improve ourselves, to be open to the world, and to show our entrepreneural spirit. We listen and change things, as we go about doing our best!

Reviewed 28 July 2011

My boyfriend got a one night stay as a treat. At first I was a little scared for what we got ourselves into. Booking was confusing because Nancy (the proprietress) was originally out of town after a few phone calls we finally got it right. It did however take over 2 weeks to confirm the room after the calls. In the end, we were offered a upgrade to the honeymoon suite free of charge which then started a suprisingly wonderful stay. Nancy was extremely thoughtful went out of her way to accomodate us and her baked snacks were delicious.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2011

this is a pleasant place to stay--incredibly well equipped kitchen in the room (really apartment) we stayed in. the fridge (subzero) had a delicious chocolate mousse and breakfast goodies waiting for us. the only drawback is its location--it is almost as close to duvall as woodinville. there is really nothing close, which may be just what you're looking for, but if you wish accommodations in woodinville, this does not fit the bill.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lindatVancouver
Proprietress, Owner at Auberge de Seattle, French Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2011

Just to clarify and avoid any confusion this review might give you.

Our physical address is Woodinville, Wa., this is accurate. We advertise that we are located on 5 secluded acres in a forest of evergreen. We are not in the downtown of Woodinville, we are in the Woodinville Wine Country.

We are inbetween downtown Woodinville , Duval and Redmond. We are close to Avondale Drive a straight shot to downtown Seattle...You can drive down to Seattle from our location in 20-25 minutes...of course not during heavy commuter traffic time.

I hope this helps.

Reviewed 22 July 2010

My wife and I were given a say here along with a cooking class for our birthdays. I have to say it was one of the best birthday gifts I've ever received. We arrived the night before the class and stayed in the Honeymoon Suite. The grounds are well groomed, private, and very quiet. The suite was well laid out with a very comfortable king size bed and a fantastic two-person tub and shower in the bathroom. There were snacks and a wonderful cinnamon-raisin cake (home-made cream!) in the fridge for dessert - all complimentary with the stay. We spent the evening on the porch with a bottle of wine and a deck of cards and had a great time (no television here, so you can't ignore each other!).

The following morning, Nancy served us a fantastic three-course breakfast with sweet breads, a Belgian waffle with strawberries and cream, and a huge plate of eggs, potatoes, and the best bacon I've ever ate.

The cooking class itself was fantastic. We did the "Festival of Crab" with Chef George, who was very knowledgeable and friendly. He showed us some fantastic techniques and recipes and served one of the best dinners in a long time. Though I may have had enough crab to last me for quite awhile! Each couple was asked to bring some wine of their own, which was served throughout the entire class. As well, Nancy took some fantastic pictures - which she posted on Facebook for everyone to view/take at their leisure.

Overall, our stay a L'Auberge was excellent and I will definitely recommend it to anyone - not to mention we might be doing another cooking class or two!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gongawz
Reviewed 11 March 2010

My boyfriend and I just finished a delightful Getaway Package at L'Auberge Edge of Seattle Inn. We found it a great value...two nights and the French Regional Cooking Classes. The class was so much fun..lots of laughing and talking among the Chef and the other student chefs like us...and then the accommodations were great too. Fresh flowers in the room, original art work and luxurious furnishings and even was surprised by the turn down service. Loved the dessert in the evening...found the suite super clean, private with the heated floor throughout which was sooo nice. Wish we had that at home...such a pleasure to walk on the warm floor. The room was decorated with a French country motif and the Jacuzzi was amazing to use. We felt so relaxed and content after wards. The French Continental breakfast was more than I was expecting...everything was home made and fresh...all just like what I remember from my trip to France. It was so yummy! The orange wine was very good too...We drank it all up. I would recommend this small B&B Inn to others who are searching for a romantic getaway close to Seattle. The ambiance they created gave me the feeling of being in a secluded hide-away in France! We loved it and would gladly return soon!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nal123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodinville
Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle Woodinville WA
Cottage Lake Tree House B&B
Cottage Lake Tree House B&B
#3 of 7 in Woodinville
Aunt Louise's Secret BnB Hostel

Been to Auberge de Seattle, French Country Inn? Share your experiences!