“Don't expect your reservation to be honored!!”

Oxford Suites Yakima
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I booked a reservation on February 12, 2014. One night, a-joing rooms: 1-King bed, and one
2-Queen beds. Arriving on March 21st. I recieved the confirmantion via e-mail. I checked on the reservation approx. 2 weeks before our arrival and was told, "we have you booked, everything is ok on our end." My husband, our daughter and I were meeting our son, his wife and our 10 month old granddaughter for a family gathering. We were going to a neice's baby shower in Yakima on Saturday to meet with more family.
Expecting to have a wonderful evening with our family, we all arrived at the Oxford.
At check-in....they gave our room away, "that morning." WHAT???!!! Why we asked??
The gal at the desk tried all kinds of reasons and excuses as to why, but not one made any sense!! "However", she said..."we can upgrade your King room, or we can given you, rooms with a double and a queen that a-join, but we have no rooms left that you booked." Or we can do blah,blah, blah." She was very confrontational and agumentative with us. Not honest, not apologetic, no concern, or caring. Very blunt, with a take it or leave it attitude! Needless to say, we really had not choice but to stay there. We had a dog, the baby was tired of traveling, it was around 5:30-6 pm, we were hungry and wanting to have family time. The up grade....a sitting room with the king bed, big deal!!
So, reservations over a month ahead are not honored, someone checks in, in the morning can take our room. Go figure that one!! We booked for one night, we're quit sure the front desk staff booked to someone who was staying longer...you know $$ counts, not customer service!!
Mind you the rating below is not for the front desk staff

Room Tip: Forth floor room 418 and 417, horrible mattress on all beds. Very dusty lamps, pubic hair and floor...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Diane L
WesternTrvlr, Manager at Oxford Suites Yakima, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We are sincerely sorry we were unable to meet your requests, and apologize that you were not satisfied with your experience with us. We do our very best to honor requests but in the best interest of all our guests, we can't always guarantee specific special requests. Unfortunately, that applied in this situation and because we were unable to honor your request, a complimentary upgrade to your rooms was offered. We understand that this is not what you wanted, but this was the best we could do under the circumstances. You also mentioned your pet, which was not included in the reservation notations. We reserve specific pet friendly rooms for guests travelling with pets, for the comfort of both those traveling with the pet and those who are not. Pet friendly rooms are offered at an additional fee of $25 per pet per stay, for up to seven days, and are non-refundable. For all our guests comfort, we asked that pets are declared during the reservation process, if at all possible and certainly it is required at check in. Pets are not allowed to be left alone in their rooms, for the comfort of all. Again, we offer our sincerest apologies and do wish we had been able to accommodate your request.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

This was our third time staying at Oxford Suites. As usual, we chose it for its easy accessibility from the highway and its reasonable rates. Since our stay fell on Valentine's Day, we were delighted to see chocolate hearts on our beds that evening. A nice welcomed touch! Our room was clean and comfortable with a refreshing view of Yakima River out our window. A good variety of breakfast items were offered in a room that was frequently attended by a friendly and helpful staff person. To add to the hospitality, hot drinks and fresh fruits were always available in the lobby for the guests. Last but not least, the front desk personnel and housekeeping staff were exceptional - unfailingly warm and courteous. These are the reasons why Oxford Suites is our accommodation of choice in Yakima.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Yakima River.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here one night in October, 2013 near the end of a three week road trip through Oregon & Washington. I would have preferred to give this place a 3.5 star rating, because of several issues. Since we had a nice stay, I went with 4 instead of 3.

First the Pros:

1. We stayed on the 4th floor in room 412, which was larger than the regular suites, and very nice. Each room is a suite, but some are larger than others.

2. Suite 412 included new carpet, a comfortable king bed, a 30" tall refrigerator, a microwave, a good sized flat screen TV, free WiFi, and a balcony with a river view (between telephone wires), and even a view from the balcony of the 14,411 foot summit of Mt. Rainier sticking up some 60 miles off in the distance (looking NW).

3. The sitting area could be closed off from the bedroom by a door for privacy.

4. The AAA Rate of $131.10 “out the door” was the lowest rate of any night on our entire three week trip.

5. Included were two complimentary (with provided coupon) wines/beers/soft drinks per person, per night at the hotel bar. Hard drinks were extra.

6. They serve a pretty extensive complimentary (with coupon) hot breakfast, which is actually served by employees cafeteria style. The food was OK.

7. The staff was great, especially Gia who tried to help us with our A/C issues. Thanks for trying, Gia!

The Cons:

1. Please understand that I am not a fan of pets in hotel rooms. That may offend some people, but in my opinion, hotel rooms are for people - not animals. With that being said, in my online reservation, I had requested a room without any chance of pet dander, to which my wife has bad allergic reactions. When we checked in, and I reiterated our request, and the desk clerk proclaimed, “All out rooms are pet friendly!” Like that was a good thing.... Long story short, if you want to reduce your chances of dealing with pet dander, hair, urine stains & odors, etc, request the 4th floor. Apparently they try to keep the pets on lower floors as much as possible. As it turned out, our room was odor-free, and had new carpet. Solution: If a hotel feels the need to allow pets, limit them to certain floors.

2. Although it was October, it was warm - at least in the daytime. We both like a cold room (<64 degrees) - especially for sleeping. Unfortunately, our A/C - an Amana split system - was malfunctioning from the outset. After the maintenance man was unable to fix it, a very conscientious employee named Gia tried to find us another large suite that had a better A/C, but there were only four (I think) on the 4th floor, and the one other vacant one had some kind of odor, so we stuck with 412. We left the balcony door open, and the cold night air kept us cool. Solution: Fix the A/C.

3. I always carry my own luggage. We had a lot of crap to re-pack after 2.5 weeks on the road in our rental SUV. I needed a cart to haul it all at once to the 4th floor, but could not find a cart. I was told that there are two in the 107 room hotel, but I never saw either of them during our entire stay. As a result, I had to make several trips each way. Solution: They really need more carts.

4. The morning we checked out, during breakfast, we saw a kid on a small Razor-style push scooter riding it all through the breakfast room. His parents paid absolutely no attention to him. I was tempted to do so (or to whack him), but my wife shoved a biscuit in my mouth and told me to be quiet. When we checked out, the kid was scootin’ all over the lobby. He ran into a lady and almost knocked her down. He was a general menace to all. I asked the desk clerk why they didn’t stop him, and she just hunched her shoulders indicating she couldn’t do anything. We left while he was still terrorizing everyone in the lobby. In my opinion, the manager should have stopped him immediately. Granted, his parents should have also, but seemed to be oblivious to anything he did. Solution: Train managers to respond quickly to problem guests.

Overall, we had a nice stay. We particularly enjoyed sitting at the hotel bar, and chatting with the very friendly bartender, who’s name I have forgotten. She made a couple of signature “Oxford Caramel Apple” martinis for my wife, and she loved them. With the cool night air, we slept well on the comfy bed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This hotel exceeded my expectations. As a business traveler, I've stayed at several different hotels and this one is among my favorites. The staff and management were friendly and helpful. I had the opportunity to try the Bistro and the Death By Prime Rib sandwich was incredible. The brew selection was great and just what i needed after a long road trip. It's an easy stop off the freeway and has nice views of the river. The next time I'm in this area I will be certain to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Which isn't a ringing endorsement. Rooms are ok-very thin walls so a lot of noise from above and next door. Bed is ok-linens should be better. Service is non-existent. Breakfast was good but had to stand in line for 30 minutes to get it because only one person was working the room. Room was clean and adequate. Free soup and salad and a drink in the afternnon. Terrible food but a very nice idea. Best bet for Yakima.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Stayed here recently for a brief weekend stay. Overall, a very nice place. Check in was a breeze, helpful desk staff always. Had a fourth floor room with a nice view. Bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows. Room was clean, but seemed a bit dated. Walls were a bit thin, could hear neighbors some and people in the halls. Complimentary drinks (two), soup and salad at night, and breakfast each morning is a nice touch. I had a burger in the bar and it was good. The staff was attentive and friendly.
Overall, a very nice stay. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Oxford Suites while visiting the Yakima Valley over the weekend and had a fantastic stay! The hotel was comfy and clean, the staff friendly, and the location convenient. The complimentary drinks and breakfast were a great perk, as was the in-house Bistro. I loved that we had such a wonderful view from our room overlooking the river. We didn't get a chance to stroll along the Greenway trail, but it is on our list for next time as we will be certain to stay here again soon!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple