“Average”

Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Sarasota, Florida
“Average”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I usually enjoy the HI Express properties. This one wasn't up to par. The bedding/pillows were very low end - probably the worst I've had in quite some time. The A/C was hot/cold and very loud. I just couldn't get my room cool enough even though the night temps in this area are about 65 degrees.

The eggs on the breakfast buffet were very mysterious! They resembled an egg-like substance but were not good at all. I understand that it is more efficient to microwave some sort of egg-like mixture but this was not good...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Yakima, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear FLJtodd,

We appreciate that you took the time to share your review of your recent experience at our property. This feedback is very helpful to us as we establish our best path to providing successful guest satisfaction.

Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed 13 July 2013

The day we arrived in Yakima, it was 107 degrees. The room a/c cooled the room off very nicely without a lot of extra noise. The room was very clean, and the bed in the king suite was very comfortable. The wifi worked very well and was fast and easy to use. The breakfast on each of four days we ate there was good, and the staff kept it restocked.

During the days, I saw the cleaning staff working constantly. They obviously take pride in their work! Staff was friendly, too.

On weeknights, the hotel served soup at 6:30 p.m., and cookies and milk at 7:00 p.m., which we enjoyed several times.

My only complaint was a small issue with the bathroom floor: the tiles/flooring were very squeaky when we walked on them, as if the underlayment beneath them had not been installed properly. The faucet on the shower had also been broken, and had been "temporarily" fixed by driving a screw into it, which made it more difficult to use. With the record-breaking heat the week of July 4, the hallway on the 4th floor was incredibly hot, even with the a/c working (though my room stayed cool).

We stayed on the 4th floor, and it was very quiet, though I'm guessing the squeaky floor could probably be heard by the room below us.

TIP: Stay on the 4th floor.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Boise, ID
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Although we didn't experience any significant problems during our 1-night stay, we weren't particularly impressed. Front desk staff was reasonably friendly but not especially welcoming, helpful or professional. Wifi did not connect as instructions in room indicated, so a trip to the desk for walk-thru for correct connection method was needed. Breakfast was good, no attendant present when we ate breakfast (didn't need assistance, but appreciate an attendant for questions, quick refills of low-running items, etc.) Room/bed was clean/comfortable, nice Bath & Body Works toiletries. Views from the hotel/neighborhood not great--walls oft-painted-over to cover graffiti, etc. Although hotel seemed to full or nearly-full, it was quiet.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Yakima, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Dear Kathy T,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We're so glad you liked the cleanliness of the room accommodations you had. We would like to apologize you were not well satisfied with the service you received and for the challenges you had with our WiFi services was less than satisfactory. We're sorry the view of the neighborhood from our hotel did not live up to your expectations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed two nights during 4th of July on a third floor. Clean and comfortable room (King+sofa bed), nice breakfast choices with hot items (pancake, bacon, scramble eggs) + standard continental breakfast items, friendly and helpful staff, nice swimming pool+hot tub, great location close to shopping, restaurants, and easy access to freeway.

Everything is great. The only problem we had wast that the room above us was very loud on our second night. We didn't hear voice from next doors, BUT could also hear showering and flushing from the next door very clearly!

Overall, great experience, and will definitely consider HIE if we come to Yakima next time.

Room Tip: Maybe try the top floor to avoid jumping and running noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

The hotel was clean and the service good. The breakfast buffet is great. There is a wonderful selection and a good sized breakfast room. Our room on the first floor had a sliding door to the outside which was nice. Comfortable beds, nice toiletries and reasonable towels. We found the in room frig very convenient.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Kerikeri, Northland, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We loved this hotel in Yakima. Friendly staff! Great breakfast with French Toast and cinnamon rolls as well as a nice selection of other breakfast items.Very clean and quiet. Nice size pool with a hot tub and a small pool for little kids - and a patio just outside the pool doors. Exercise room with a bike, a treadmill, and an elliptical machine.
The room was spacious with extra pillows and a comforter on the closet shelf, easy internet access, large desk, good sized refrigerator, and a microwave.
I read some other reviews just before writing this and they were not very positive. I have to assume some significant improvements have been made since they were written because I found it quite lovely.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Rainier, Washington
Reviewed 15 May 2013

When traveling for business I usually stay at HIE or Best Western. This is my first time at this particular HIE and I was really impressed. My room was one of the nicest I've seen at a HIE and included crown moulding. Everything was very clean and well kept and the bed and pillows were comfortable. I noticed that others on TA complained about the shabbiness of the hotel so I must have gotten a renovated room. I appreciated the little basket of goodies that was waiting for me in my room as I had traveled for hours and was very hungry. The only problem I had was with the showerhead, I could not get it to set to a comfortable setting; it was either set so that the spray literally felt like needles or a setting so strong I thought it would rip out my hair (no kidding) or it poured out like a faucet, straight down so I'd have to practically hug the shower wall to get under the water. Another issue I had (nothing to do with HIE) were the Google directions, the streets I was instructed to turn on supposedly bisected the main drag but in actuality they were not through streets. After going up and down the strip several times without being able to find the streets I finally called HIE and they gave me the correct directions. Just a cautionary tip for those of you who use Google maps.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo