“Worst hotel experience in 5 years”

Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Spokane, Washington
“Worst hotel experience in 5 years”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I booked a premium room on redlion.com and received a lower rate as a rewards member. When I checked in I was downgraded to the worst room in the hotel (next to noisy air conditioner and overlooking employee smoking area) without even acknowledging that I was being downgraded. They intended to chrarge me the premium rate for this room! When I called to complain they explained they were booked full and also made it clear that I could not complain because I was already on a reduced rate as a loyalty member! Further discussion got me a rate reduction but it was made clear that I was being unreasonable. I left the next day still stunned at their behavior.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Bryn M
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
We value each and every one of our guests and I truly apologize that we failed to provide you the room you booked on our website. I can understand how the location of your room affect the quality of your stay. I would like to apologize for any unprofessionalism that may have been shown to you as well.
We do appreciate your feedback and hope we have the chance to serve you better in the near future.
Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Billings, Montana
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I was staying at the Red Lion for a conference. The hotel is in disrepair and in serious need of updating. The rooms are extremely dated with very few television channel options that come in mostly grainy. I think the bed was the original from when the hotel opened, good luck getting a restful night's sleep. The "continental breakfast" missed the mark on even having basic foods such as bread and butter. I was there for 3 nights and on one of the days my room was completely not cleaned. The front desk staff had one customer service oriented employee who worked nights the rest were a joke. The only high point of the trip was the gentleman who cleaned the pool was very nice and attentive. I would never recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
2 Thank Heidi J

Travellers are raving about these Yakima hotels

East Wenatchee, Washington
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Booked this room for a conference. I couldn't believe that the building was even part of the Red Lion. Actually called a different hotel when they said there were no other rooms. Looks like a shabby two story motel. Sub motel six quality with door and Windows that open to the walkway. Think I would feel safer sleeping in the car.

1 Thank Whaaat77
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to comment about your stay with us as your feedback is important when providing our guests excellent service. I apologize that the hotel was less than you expected in comparison to other local hotels. I would like to truly apologize for the condition of the hotel and that our staff was unable to better accommodate you to a different room. We value you as a guest and we are always looking for ways to enhance our guest experience. We will be speaking with our desk staff about your experience and do hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you better during your next visit.
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed recently at this Inn after weather conditions prevented travelling further; desk clerk assisted with fast checkin and related local recommendations for restaurants and shopping. Room faced onto open pool area, very comfortable surroundings, helpful employees and great attitude of appreciation for our business.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, BC Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The hotel is in good shape for an old building. My room had been renovated and was very nice. The bed was comfortable which is a big plus for me.

Stay away from the food service.....go elsewhere to eat. New people have leased the food and beverage and they have a lot to learn (if they can last that long). The meals served at all of our functions were not very good....very bland and not creative.....they need a much better chef if they want to stay in this business.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank georges-road-trips
Seattle,Wa
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Rooms are very old, DIRTY and you will be lucky to get your sheets changed or even a roll of toilet paper while staying for six nights. If I hadn't had to stay here for a conference, I would have checked out immediately.

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

1 Thank WestSeattleGal
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
We value each and every one of our guests and I truly apologize that we failed to provide you the best possible service. There is no reason, nor is it acceptable, to be checked into a room that was not properly cleaned. I would like to apologize for your room not being serviced during your stay as well. I would like to assure you that this will be addressed accordingly with our housekeeping staff.
Thank you for your feedback you are a valued guest and we hope to have the opportunity to provide you better service in the near future!
B.C. Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Have been at this hotel for a conference, and two different training sessions, the last in the final week of May 2014. Rooms quite large and comfortable enough. Pools (2) are a nice addition, though a little chilly this year. Desk service quite satisfactory.
BUT, 2 major flaws. House -keeping staff numbers appear to have been reduced, resulting in some rooms not being made up until well into the afternoon, and then not always very efficiently. Items omitted or skimped on, and fresh supplies not always available
The worst, by far, is the new contract for catering The hotel displays a notice on the front desk touting the new chef, wait staff, and kitchen team. It should be hidden. Quality, quantity and service of food at lunch and dinner was appallingly bad. Serving the same insipid vegetables for 3 consecutive meals is totally unacceptable, as is the presentation of the same "bag" salad 3 times in a row , even at the closing meal, inaccurately termed a banquet. Service was slow to start and descended from there. One breakfast, out of three, worked, sort of. Otherwise, very poor planning, (the hotel was full on two consecutive nights), under- staffing, lack of co-ordination between front-end staff and the kitchen had many delegates going out for breakfast, (even though its cost was included in the room charge) , or going without the meal. We gathered , from other guests that the same very disorganized service was apparent in the pub/bar/ restaurant. My organization will not be returning to this venue for at least the next two years, and if, thereafter it does, and if I am still involved, (a likely scenario), I will be staying and eating elsewhere in Yakima. A sad downfall, which does the city, and the hotel, no good at all.

Room Tip: Be careful with ground floor rooms facing on to the "private " pathways. We had an item st...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business