“Adequate, but don't stay near parking lot”

Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Seattle, Washington
“Adequate, but don't stay near parking lot”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed four nights at the Red Lion for a convention. When we arrived, our room was ready and clean; however, it had a smoky smell, despite being a nonsmoking room. It contained working appliances, including a coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator, and television. There were a handful of television channels, but reception was fuzzy and it appeared that basic cable was not available.

During of our four-night stay, the room was not cleaned two of the days, even though we were out for the majority of the day. We did enjoy both pools, one heated, one not. There were a few pool toys available for the kids and shaded tables around the pool area.

We were pleased to find plenty of pillows and clean, new bedding. The shower was hot and had good pressure. Our balcony faced the convention center and many times we saw homeless people and people doing drugs both walking by and sitting in the parking lot. The balcony itself was covered in leaves, dirt, and debris—and birds had nested above, leaving droppings.

Overall, it was adequate for an inexpensive week away; however, next time I would change to a pool-facing room away from the parking lot.

Room Tip: Book an interior, pool-facing room to avoid unsavory characters in the parking lot at night.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank taragl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I recently stayed with the red lion for a conference. I had the best experience I have ever had staying in a hotel. My room wasn't ready when I showed up, but they were more then willing to keep checking for me. All the front desk attends couldn't have been more helpful. Housekeeping did a good job on our room every day when cleaned. Breakfast does need a little work. it was very good, but short staffed. Seems like they aren't prepared for as many people some mornings. very polite & helpful just need either more employees or to make sure they have enough food for everyone. overall an amazing experience and I will be staying at the Red Lion for all my trips from now on.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank gonzals j
Bothell, Washington
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a youth music tour and convention. The staff was horrible about assigning rooms so that chaperones could be near the kids. We even booked the rooms as a block and told them we needed the rooms close together. We had 5 rooms booked for 3 nights and 2 additional rooms for only 2 nights. The hotel never asked at check in what rooms were needed for the 3 nights or 2 nights. They just gave us a stack of keys. Come to find out only 4 of the rooms were near each other and they "couldn't" fix that. Then after night 2 we were told which rooms we were expected to be out of by having slips of paper under those 2 doors. Of course it was 2 of the rooms that were near each other where we had a majority of the kids. They were adamant that they could only fix one of the rooms. They were rude and were unable to let us talk to a manager. Called corporate and they were eventually able to fix it but it took 2 hours. Also, the breakfast was not monitored well. They were out of plates, milk, spoons, and eggs and it took repeated asking before more were brought out. Won't stay here again and I am a red lion rewards member.

2 Thank Deanna A
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
I would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I apologize for the issues you experienced when you checked in with your group, as that is not what we expect our guest experience to be. I would also like to apologize that the breakfast buffet was not properly stocked as well.
Thank you very much for your feedback, we will most certainly look into your issue with our housekeeping department. We look forward to providing you excellent service as a valued guest.

Travellers are raving about these Yakima hotels

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Front desk check in was rude beyond rude. Room was not cleaned, yes the bed was made, however the carpet was not cleaned, candy wrappers under the bed. First night was very noisy, I wasn't sure if I was ever going to sleep, got about an hour. The second day the room was not cleaned at all, I called the front desk, they were ok, but not that responsive. The second night I thought I was in a war zone, non-stop sirens. The third night was not as bad (noise wise) but I was glad it was the last night. This was a business trip, getting sleep was the most important thing for me, it didn't happen. Breakfast was ok, the resturant was ok.

2 Thank JayandMaureen
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your experiences at our property. Please accept my sincerest apologies on behalf of our hotel regarding the lack of cleanliness in your room. I would like to apologize for any unprofessionalism that may have been shown to you by our staff as well. I do want to assure you that these issues will be addressed accordingly with our staff. Thank you for being a valued guest and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Lacey
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Just avoid if you can. Old scary and gross. It's like an old 70's motel from a horror movie. But it's location by the cc is good. Oh. Sheets were hairy and my door had greasy dirty handprints all over

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Samannika
We appreciate you taking the time to comment about your stay with us as your feedback is important when providing our guests excellent service. I apologize that the hotel was less than you expected in comparison to other local hotels. I would like to truly apologize for the condition of the hotel and that your room was not properly cleaned. We value you as a guest and we are always looking for ways to enhance our guest experience. We will be speaking with our desk staff about your experience and do hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you better during your next visit.
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I booked a premium room on redlion.com and received a lower rate as a rewards member. When I checked in I was downgraded to the worst room in the hotel (next to noisy air conditioner and overlooking employee smoking area) without even acknowledging that I was being downgraded. They intended to chrarge me the premium rate for this room! When I called to complain they explained they were booked full and also made it clear that I could not complain because I was already on a reduced rate as a loyalty member! Further discussion got me a rate reduction but it was made clear that I was being unreasonable. I left the next day still stunned at their behavior.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Bryn M
We value each and every one of our guests and I truly apologize that we failed to provide you the room you booked on our website. I can understand how the location of your room affect the quality of your stay. I would like to apologize for any unprofessionalism that may have been shown to you as well.
We do appreciate your feedback and hope we have the chance to serve you better in the near future.
Kind Regards
Billings, Montana
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I was staying at the Red Lion for a conference. The hotel is in disrepair and in serious need of updating. The rooms are extremely dated with very few television channel options that come in mostly grainy. I think the bed was the original from when the hotel opened, good luck getting a restful night's sleep. The "continental breakfast" missed the mark on even having basic foods such as bread and butter. I was there for 3 nights and on one of the days my room was completely not cleaned. The front desk staff had one customer service oriented employee who worked nights the rest were a joke. The only high point of the trip was the gentleman who cleaned the pool was very nice and attentive. I would never recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
2 Thank Heidi J