“Good place to stay but had some issues.”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Yakima
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Vancouver, BC
“Good place to stay but had some issues.”
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Stayed at the Fairfiled initially for three nights, but found Yakima to be lacking in family fair so we decided to stay for only two nights. Had no problems cancelling the third night. Hotel was in good condition, clean and had no problems with the staff. Went for breakfast for one of the days and it was good. They offer pre-packaged breakfast sandwiches which a lot of other hotels do not offer. Personally, I get kind of long on the hotel breakfast as I find it very blase, especially on long trips.

Issues I had with the hotel; 1) could not connect on the hotel wi-fi. Usually have no problems with this at other hotels, so I believe its Fairfield's problem. Used an ethernet link, and still found it slow, even though the advertise faster speeds; 2) Hotels like the Fairfield use a heat/AC unit attached to the side of the unit (vented out the side of the hotel) Being that its really hot in Yakima in August, I find the fan or AC to be really loud, which is a problem when trying to sleep at night. For some reason, the unit seems to just blast at high and cannot have it work at a slower/quieter speed; 3) As someone else alluded too, the coffee is TERRIBLE, both what you can get in the lobby and if you make it in your room. The sucky part is that there are no coffee houses or stores close by, unless you want to try the Target food slop next door.

As mentioned, overall it was good, Personally, I would have stayed at the Ledgestone next door, but the Ledgestone does not have a swimming pool.

Room Tip: In the summer months, run you AC to cool down your room.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Coltsevers
Kenneth C, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Yakima, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear Coltsever,

We love to hear back from our guests and in our eyes; there are no negative feedback, only constructive ones. I apologize for the issues that you had experienced during your stay. Please know that we take every feedback very seriously and are doing everything we can to improve what we offer to our guests. Wi-Fi has been very consistent since connection issues were brought to our attention; I personally connect to it every day. We have been testing the AC units to ensure that they are operating optimally for our guests. We are also looking at a few different options with our vendor regarding the coffee.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Yakima.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Pacific Northwest
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed here 2 nights on the Marriot equivalent of frequent flier miles (in other words, I didn't have to pay for the room), and was very satisfied with this hotel. It is in a convenient location, has a very friendly and professional staff, and is very clean and comfortable. I would definitely stay here again, and this is where we will stay when my wife and I return to Yakima (date uncertain at this time). (This trip I was solo.) My only complaint is that the [free] internet was not working the first day, but they did get it fixed and it worked fine the 2nd day. The staff was very helpful during the outage. They offer a free (do it yourself) breakfast, which was pretty good -- good enough to eat there instead of going to a restaurant for breakfast. Not great, but definitely adequate.

Room Tip: My room was across the hall from the vending room and the elevators, and I heard nothing. Any room...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Dear Soggy_Sun,

Our staff love to hear from our guests whether it is good or bad experience. Our goal is to provide a comfortable and satisfying stay for our guests, so we are always happy to learn from our guests on how we can improve our service. I am very happy to hear that our staff was able to meet your expectation and that we were able to provide you with a comfortable stay by immediately resolving any problem that you had during your stay.

We hope to see you and your wife on your next visit to Yakima.
Lynnwood
Reviewed 23 May 2011

I personally saw a staff member slam a door in a guest face and push children out of the way to stock items during breakfast. When complaints were made the the staff they insisted that we were causing the problems. I was mearly complaining about what I had witnessed and the staff got extreamly defensive. I was causing no problems and used the room only to sleep as I was out all day. The coffee maker did not work the breakfast is not up to normal Marriott standards in any way. The ice machine did not work the hall ways and lobby smelled of chloine, the elevator was very old and we were concerned that we were going to get stuck in it so we did not take it which was very inconvenient with our luggage. The quality is extreamly poor for the room size and lack of amnemities. I would advise staying else where and I will never return to this establishment.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 24 April 2011

I travel to Yakima 4 to 5 times a year and have started staying only at the Fairfield. The staff is nice (although the last 2 times the assistant manager has been a bit snotty).
ALSO...I always call a few weeks in advance to make a reservation- sometimes I have my wife call. EVERYTIME we always get a different room rate-This is very frustrating. So I have started the habit of calling 3 times to get a price then call a 4th time and let them know the lowest price I have been quoted from my previous calls.
I really like the breakfast offered and the breakfast lady is very friendly.
Really the only negative thing I can say is that they have TERRIBLE coffee.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Kenneth C, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Yakima, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear Sunocday,

Thank you for your comments and concerns. We take all comments into consideration. We have also updated the system in an effort to provide our guests with the best possible rate during booking. This process is also helped if you request Triple A or ARRP rates for our standard rooms. We are also looking at a few different options with our vendor regarding the coffee.

Thank you again, and we hope to see you during your next visit to Yakima.
Portland, OR
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I'm an easy to please when I travel for business. This hotel was very clean, the check-in folks were extremely friendly, free WSJ and USA Today available at the front desk, and plenty of channels on the TV.
I was on business with the government and received a rate of $77/ night for a room with two double beds.
The beds were pretty good but the mattresses were more "foamy" than I am used to. I'm beginning to become a bit of a picky sleeper in my late 30's now, so my mattress did leave a little to be desired but adequate.
The TV was the old-style, non flat screened type which was fine with me.
Walls were a little thin to as my neighbor watched TV with the sound way up. Thank goodness they didn't stay up late.
Breakfast was a little wimpy compared to other hotels than seemed to offer more full-sized breakfasts but again was fine for me. I had a hot bowl of oatmeal with pecans and brown sugar. They had lots of options for warming up in a microwave (bagel sandwiches, quiche, etc.) and of course the typical cold cereal and juice.
For $77/night I thought it was a great place to stay and I would recommend to others traveling by themselves who are happy with a clean hotel offering all of the basics.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank outsideagent
Seattle
Reviewed 27 July 2010

I stayed at this hotel on an overnight visit for a business trip. This is the only Marriott-brand hotel in Yakima, and it was relatively new and very clean. Standard Fairfield Inn decor, and the room was very clean and comfortable. It was a hot day in Yakima (102-deg) and the air conditioner unit worked great. The wired and wireless internet speed were somewhat slow (less than 1 MBbit/sec).

Very quiet location, with an Officemax located across the street. Just 25 yards away from the hotel was a Bob's Burgers and Brew restaurant which was convenient.

Also, this is a "Pet-friendly" hotel which had me worried, but my room didn't smell bad nor did it have the overly perfumed deodorizer.

I would certainly stay in this hotel again while in Yakima. The only negative, was that the bed was a bit firm for my taste (I woke up with a stiff back). Otherwise, a good hotel which I can recommend to other travelers.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Portland, OR
Reviewed 28 April 2010

Overall - very clean room. Waited about 5 minutes to be checked in as the clerk was elsewhere getting some coffee it appeared. Fresh cookies at 7pm in the lobby which is a nice treat. Location in Yakima is away from things - car would be needed. There is a restaurant across the parking lot - Bob's Brews and Burgers...must be new within the past couple of years.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business