“Good hotel with added extras.”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Yakima
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Sacramento, California
“Good hotel with added extras.”
Reviewed 2 January 2009

After a few of the last reviews, we weren't sure what to expect when deciding to stay at the Fairfield in Yakima. We were pleasantly surprised at how comfortable our stay was. My husband, 2 teen boys and I stayed for 4 nights over Christmas.

Attention to detail:
First thing I noticed is that they are not using the old style typical bedspread that never gets laundered. Like many of the high end hotels, the Fairfield has gone to a bed sash at the bottom of the bed for decor so that you know your bedding is all fresh and clean.

Then onto the bathroom. Clean, clean, clean. The shower has GREAT water pressure! There is nothing like a nice strong shower to wake up to, and we all took a little longer in the shower each day. The bowed shower curtain again is another plus that we often don't see except in the high end hotels. We love these and the extra room they allow while showering. The shampoo and conditioner were in smart thin little containers, no sense of waste with these. Towels were limited to one for each of us, so we asked for extras and were accomodated with immediate response from housekeeping. We only asked once, and extra towels were supplied each day for the rest of our stay.

The room was ample. Two queen beds, a bedside upright chair, a desk and chair, dresser w/TV and a closet. For the 4 of us, we found it to be quite comfortable. It wasn't oversized, but we weren't in a suite either. Having recently stayed in NYC, we felt the room was plenty big for us.

Finally, we get to the rest of the hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful each time we encountered them. From calls before our stay, to the check-in, to encounters at breakfast and needing change for the vending machines, we were met with a smile and customer service attitudes. The breakfast was much more than we have found at other hotels that boast a complimentary breakfast. There were, from left to right, waffle batter and maker; fruit; danishes; toast and bagels; oatmeal w/raisins, cranberries and brown sugar; hard boiled eggs; bacon or sausage w/egg and cheese biscuits; yogurt; milk, chocolate milk, several juices and coffee. No matter how tight our time was with family, we never skipped breakfast during our stay. There is also a nice seating area off the lobby that has a fireplace and TV; we used this area one night and felt like we were home in our own family room.

Overall we were quite pleased that our visit to Yakima was made more comfortable with our stay at the Fairfield. Yes, there are higher end hotels with more "luxury", but for us, the Fairfield hit all the right spots with the cleanliness, their friendly service, and making us feel at home. Next time we have the need to visit Yakima, we will definitely stay here again!

• Liked — The cleanliness, with updated linens and shower.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Icefamily4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 December 2008

We stayed one night here on our way from SLC to Vancouver, Canada. One of the first things I noticed was that the hotel lists its address on Marriott's website as 137 N Fair Ave yet right in front of the hotel is a mail box with a totally different number on it. Our GPS was also confused.

This hotel was your typical FI....we had a room with 2 queens and a sofa bed. As usual the sofa was not made up and while I was unloading the car, I stopped at the front desk to request it be made up. The man at the counter looked at me like I was an alien. He couldn't understand what I meant. The other attendant at the desk had to explain to him that I wanted the sofa bed made up. Ummm...that's what I said! Then he had to gall to tell me that the linen was in the closet and I could make it up myself! I explained that in all our previous stays at FIs, housekeeping had done this for us. He then decided to ring them for me. So nice of him!

The room was fine otherwise...well except for the fact that the angle of the sofa bed made it almost impossible to get past it to the bathroom while it was open. A bit tricky in the middle of the night. The bathroom itself was clean and there were lots of towels. I love the Pantene shampoo/conditioner that is supplied. It's a great little bottle.

Breakfast was the usual affair with some hot items including the egg/cheese english muffins that you could heat in the microwave. My daughter loves these!

There was one other small problem.....out of the three ice machines on the three floors, only the one on the second floor worked. There was no freezer in the fridge in our room for me to re-freeze my cooler blocks so I had to rely on ice. I had to traverse the whole hotel looking for it. When I finally got to the second floor, a maintenance man who had happened to ride the elevator with me twice, noticed what I was doing and asked me if any of the other machines were working. When I told him no, he said he would fix it. Maybe no one else noticed.

• Liked — Proximity to shops
  • Disliked — Sofa bed not made up
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Ozstitcher
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 2 September 2008

The Fairfield is a relatively new property. It is located directly off the main road and has plenty of parking.

The rooms are quite adequate for the price. The breakfast is complimentary and DYI. You can make waffles, microwave an egg sandwich, or take cold cereal, muffins and bagels. Daily papers are also complimentary.

The lobby, lounge and breakfast areas are attractive. The front desk staff helpful.

However, should you not have your own transport, the location is not a good one. The only food available within walking distance is a small food court in the Target store over the road. The hotel does not have a restaurant. A very small selection of microwaveable frozen snacks are available ot the front desk.

• Stayed August 2008
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 23 August 2008

After one mediocre night at Yakima's Comfort Suites I tried the Fairfield Inn. Based on Trip Advisor reviews, I thought it would be an improvement. Big mistake.

The room was very small, and the beds passable but not comfortable. The AC turned off in the middle of the night, and I woke up to find myself in a stiflingly hot room.

The breakfast was even worse. There was cereal and some grade D mini muffins and bagels. Their hot breakfast consisted of refrigerated Jimmy Dean sausage sandwiches that you could microwave.

It is located near the small hub of commerce in Yakima, but there are several other hotels there too.

Honestly, the Fairfield made Comfort Suites look like a 4 star hotel. I regret that I'd given Comfort Suites a poor review, because at least its beds were comfortable and the breakfast (though pretty standard fare for this sort of hotel) looked edible.

I don't know that I'll ever need a hotel in Yakima again, but if I do I will not stay at the Fairfield.

• Liked — Not much. It was clean.
  • Disliked — "Breakfast" was quite bad, room was not very comfortable.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Blaine WA
Reviewed 2 July 2008

This hotel had a higher price than the other hotels in the town, but it was worth it. New and very clean. The free breakfast was the best I have had. It include breakfast sandwiches, make your own waffles and tones of choices. They gave out bottled water and free papers ~ overall great costomer service with very friendly staff. We finished out work early and they let us book out at 1:00 and did not charge us for the day.

I would recommend this hotel

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — location. It was very easy to find, but close to freway
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
seattle
Reviewed 12 May 2008

Our family was received with a warm welcome and all requests were met to the staff's ability. The accommodations were basic but exactly what we needed for a sports tournament weekend along with easy access to highway. All staff was extremely friendly and helpful! We would stay again!

Stayed May 2008
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 25 October 2007

I spent three nights here in June. Loved it. Friendly staff. Clean, well appointed rooms. Convenient to the highways (easy drive to Wine Country!) Short drive to downtown. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2007