“Excellent staff but facilities need some TLC”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Beckley
Bridgeport, West Virginia
“Excellent staff but facilities need some TLC”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I really want to rate this hotel higher because I loved every single one of the employees that worked there. Check in and check out was a breeze. The lady that does breakfast was always cheerful and kept up on all the food well and really seemed to love her job. The housekeepers always returned my hellos and added little things like making a paper rose at the end of the toilet paper to let you know they wanted you to enjoy your stay. The floors and grounds were very well kept and it looked like several people were enjoying the outdoor pool each day even though I could never find the time in my stay. The hotel is located in a very congestive and busy area less than a mile from the interstate. It can be hard getting in and out of the hotel during certain times of the day. There are plenty of restaurants and convenience stores in that area though within walking distance. The IHOP is open 24 hours if you arrive late and need a midnight snack.

I have to be tough on the hotel though because usually Quality is supposed to be one of the higher tier brands of the Choice Hotel groups. I didn't bring up the room problems at the hotel because I was in the room so little and could easily cope, but hopefully they can hear from this and be able to take corrective actions. I am not sure if the air condition's thermostat in my room was malfunctioning or if the unit was just inadequate for the room. I stayed on the top floor of the hotel which would naturally be harder to cool because of hot air rising. Ended up I had to set the temperature between 60 and 64 just to keep the room feeling towards the mid 70's. The toilet's handle needed to be replaced. You really had to press down on the handle and keep it held down in order for the toilet to respond. The shower was the worst though. It was one of those oddball types where you have to pull down on the ring around the spigot for shower to activate. The water pressure in the shower was horrible. One of those cheap dime store squirt guns had more pressure. The tub had grip pads on the bottom but I think so many people had to stand close in that one little area around the shower head to get sprayed off that the grips were starting to wear and it was slippery.

I believe they did just upgrade the tv's. They are newer 36 or 42 inch flat screens. The channel selection was not too bad. One more pet peeve was the lights weren't wired together to be able turn off with a single wall light switch. You had to go around the room and turn off the lights individually. The work center was nice and it had a desk lamp with a plug in to provide more lighting if necessary. I can't complain about the hotel's wi-fi. It connected quickly with a good signal and I never had and disconnects or interruptions in service like I have had in other hotels. My room had a microwave and refrigerator. I did not try the microwave, but the refrigerator kept my soda cool even though it was a little noisy. One other pet peeve. This is technically a three story hotel. However there is not elevator that I found so be prepared to lug your luggage up or down the steps.

Overall I would stay there again. The staff really seemed to care about the making the guest's stay enjoyable. Hopefully the hotel management will start upgrading the facilities and make this hotel a star in the Choicehotels chain that it should be.

Room Tip: Rooms opposite of the IHOP and towards to back may be quieter .
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
ngb2126, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I have to admit, this is one of the most in depth reviews I have seem in along time. I want to thank you personally for the kind words about the property, especially the staff at the Quality Inn of Beckley. As the General Manager I can attest to how hard they all work to please the guests. I have been in the hotel business since I was 18 years old, and have manage many properties but this staff is truly amazing. The hotel is older, and requires allot of care, and some praying at times to keep things working (lol). We just completed our first phase of the renovations, and our second phase will address the bathrooms. The bathrooms are in need of replacement, and I am hoping that ownership will help in this area. The water pressure is getting better, the City of Beckley mandated that all hotels install a back flow preventor to all hotels in Beckley. This has serious cut down the pressure to the hotels, and has become a nuisance to the property. We will continue to address this issue and hopefully a solution will present itself. Again, thanks for staying and thanks for the review! Safe travels! Jerry Smith General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

My family stayed at this hotel while on vacation. We found the room to be modern, clean and updated. It is a bit cheaper than your higher priced hotels, but still has most of the amenities. Workout room is nice. It has an attached restaurant and a lounge with some nightlife for those who like that. I agree with other reviewers that the breakfast is great. It was the best hotel breakfast I have ever had. Our room was nice and quiet for the kids to sleep well. Air conditioner worked awesome. The only con's that I have: wifi signal was too weak to work in our room - we never were able to connect. We picked a room that was supposed to have a mini-fridge, but it did not have one, and the hotel was too full to have another room with a fridge. I will say that the staff and housekeeping team did a superb job managing a hotel that appeared to be completely full with Memorial Day Weekend travellers.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Thank you for the review of the property. I am sorry that the wi-fi was weak in your guest room and that a fridge and microwave was not present in your room. We do take these reviews seriously, and we are in the process of updating our wifi to a higher band width. The Quality Inn was opened in 1974, and is not a typical hotel in terms of its construction. The hotel is concrete and steel beam construction, which means the signal to all the rooms have a hard time reach the far end rooms and the corner rooms. We are trying to amp the signal and also add more band width for the tech savy traveler. We do appreciate the kind words, and yes we were extremely busy for the Memorial day weekend, the staff as usual did a great job! Thanks for staying with us, hopefully the next time you stop I will have a much improved internet experience. Safe Travels! Jerry Smith GM
Orillia, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Very Good Value!! Standard room ammenities bed, bath,tv etc. The value was in the cost $80 and the better than average breakfast included for a Fri night

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
ngb2126, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
Thank you for your review of the Quality Inn of Beckley. We do appreciate the nice review and want to tell you that we work hard to ensure the guests staying here have a memorable experience. I have to admit, we do have the best breakfast in town. The staff and management wish you well, and hope to see you soon!

Jerry Smith
Alabama
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This is truly one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Now, it is not new, and at first, it might not llok like much. However, the place is very clean and very well maintained. The TV reception was great, and we had no problems with any of the amenities in the room.
I must say, the staff at this hotel were very kind to us, and very attentive to our every need.
The shiny star for this place is the breakfast buffet. They have a full breakfast, with eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, grits, toast, and anything else you might want. All was prepared fresh (no frozen pancakes here!) And was delicious.
I strongly recommend this hotel. It is a tremendous value for any business or vacation travelers.

• Stayed April 2012
ngb2126, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Thank you so much for the kind review! We do work hard to make sure the hotel is clean and well maintained. When a guest tells us we have done a good job, well thats the best part of the day! Again, thank you for staying with us, have safe travels and we hope to see you soon! Jerry Smith General Manager
Ottumwa, Iowa
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Room was clean and quiet, and front desk was friendly and efficient. Breakfast was adequate and the only negative I had was they "ran out" of yogurt and Danish rolls .

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
ngb2126, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Thank you for the mostly positive review of the hotel. I am sorry that we ran out danish and yogurt. I will make it a point to order more from our food supplier. Again, thank you for your kind words, I will share them with the staff. We all hope you have safe travels and we are hopefully that we might see you again! Thanks Jerry Smith, General Manager
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I've stayed here passing through a couple of times in the past, this place is starting to show its age a bit but is still an economical choice.

Pros:

- The price is right
- Walking distance to restaurants
- Right off the interstate
- Free breakfast was fairly good
- Wi-fi worked
- Bed and pillows were comfortable

Cons:

- No elevators
- Hotel is older for those who want something shiny new
- We miss the old breakfast setup, now it looks generic like every other hotel.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
ngb2126, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Quality Inn of Beckley. We do appreciate your feedback. The hotel has gone through some new changes over the past several months, updated breakfast area, new carpet in the hallways and guestrooms. In addition of the new wall vinyl in the guest rooms, we have upgraded our TV's to the new flat panel. We strive to make the hotel nice for you and your family while traveling. Thank you for staying with us, we look forward to serving you again in the future. Hopefully we can meet on your next visit to discuss the breakfast, I would really like to hear your concerns. Safe travels. Jerry Smith General Manager
East Liverpool, Ohio
Reviewed 13 April 2012

The room was nice and clean. We had dinner in the hotel, It was the best Philly Steak and cheese I have ever had, resonably priced. Then to the Lounge for a few drinks also resonably priced. Would stay there again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
ngb2126, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Lisa S. you have made my day! Thank you so much for the kind words about the Quality Inn Beckley, we work very hard to keep this hotel comfortable for the guests that stay. I have to admit the Philly Cheese Steak is very good, and the lounge is a great place to relax after a long day of traveling. Again, thank you for the nice words, there is no better way to start a Monday than to hear nice words from a guest! We look forward to serving you!