“Just average”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Beckley
Dayton, Ohio
“Just average”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

My family and I stopped here with our 2 dogs on the way to Virgina Beach from Ohio. I chose this property because it was pet friendly, the pet fee was reasonable and it had a 3 diamond AAA rating. The gentleman that checked us in was not very friendly, but the young girl that was there later in the evening was very personable and gave my children free stuff! The room was just average, but clean. Needs new carpet. Breakfast was ok. Pool area very nice!
Nice area to walk dogs.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank stellar5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 June 2012

In previous years we stay at this hotel during our family yearly memorial day weekend visit to Beckley. Staff was unfriendly, and rude, this hotel needs some updating, the lobby picture on the website is an accurate picture, dark, smelly, dated. The breakfast used to be decent, the quality has declined. Next year we will not stay at Country Inn.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Debra A
Carlson Hotels C, Online, Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, 22 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We do not want our guests to feel they are being treated unfairly. We definitely do not want to lose you as a guest. We would like to discuss this further. Please feel free to contact us at Customer Care.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 June 2012

This hotel has been our "go-to" stop as we've transported our twin daughters to and from their college campuses. In fact, we had amassed enough hotel points to stay there one night for free. After a long drive, my daughter and I arrived at Country Inn & Suites. The parking lot is ample and well lit. Our check-in went smoothly and there was no issue with our free room. The problem was the room itself. It was extremely stuffy. We cranked up the air conditioning, dropped off our luggage and then headed out to get a quick dinner. When we returned to the room, there was no change in the temperature. I called down to the front desk and a nice young woman quickly arrived to fix the problem. She was surprised to find that our room had no thermostat on the wall like the other rooms in which we've stayed in the past. The unit below the window was very tempermental but after turning it off and on again, she got it to work. My first reaction was that this marginal room (it had a view of the roof) had been "saved" for us because we weren't paying for it.

While my daughter showered, I found two silverfish bugs in the room. One was so high up and I would have needed a ladder to kill it. The other scampered quickly (gulp!) behind my bed. I closed my eyes hoping I would be able to fall asleep. If that wasn't bad enough, the tempermental AC system stopped working sometime during the night and I spent a lot of time tossing and turning in a once-again stuffy room. I was happy to check out and get on our way the following morning. I made sure to mention our experience at the front desk prior to departing. We received a profound apology but I still won't stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank lovestony
Cincinnati Area
Reviewed 5 June 2012 via mobile

I've stayed here each time I've been in Beckley, but I have to admit that the facility is starting to show it's age, and the upkeep isn't good. Wallpaper in bathrooms is poorly hung, the tile in the whirlpool suites is improperly edged, causing it to loosen and break off. Furthermore, the first room to which we were assigned had food on the floor under the bed, where it could have been swept, and the second room had a stale odor, requiring us to open the windows. While the people are nice, I can understand why the newer sister property, Holiday Inn, is getting the current accolades. This place needs its update before its too late.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank A_Fair_Reviewer
Kentucky
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Room was fine and well appointed. I would only comment on the comforter, which felt like it was filled with cement. Next update, get something soft.
Breakfast was good except that I'm not sure we liked the "scrambled egg patties." Regular would be better.
Good location, too.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SuperSueB
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 June 2012

A friend recently got married in Beckley. The out town guests and wedding party all stayed here. Normally I stay with family when visiting Beckley but after my positive experience I would certainly stay there again in the future. The hotel itself is comfortable welcoming and conveniently located near a corner shop and other chain restaurants, the room (in my case a suite) was very nice with all the necessary amenities, breakfast was better than anticipated, and the price was reasonable. I normally stay in Hyatt or Hilton hotels for the rewards but in this case I think I would stay here over the local Hampton because the pool and hot tub is so much better. See more details below...

The Room(s):
We had a suite that had a living room separate from the bedroom area. In the hallway between the living room and the bedroom there was a little food/drink area with a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, sink, and cabinet. Flat screen TVs in each area, free wi-fi access, etc. The bridal/wedding suite was also nice. It had a spacious living are with a jacuzzi bathtub. I didn't stay in it but was able to see the layout when visiting friends. The rooms are not luxurious but that isn't what they advertise as a "Country Inn". The windows in the room actually open and close. It is nice to find a hotel that isn't hermetically sealed up so that is a major plus. I recommend a suite if you have 4 people in a room.

Front Porch Exterior:
One really cool aspect of the hotel is the wide front porches on either side of the entryway. They are filled with rocking chairs. Despite being there for an action packed weekend with a very busy schedule I still met other travelers while enjoying the front porch. The hotel should add about 5 more chairs on each side and consider expanding this area as it was very nice. Travelers that like meeting and greeting new people will enjoy this. The parking lot is spacious. Parking is ample.

Breakfast:
Free breakfast that is better than most hotels. They had waffles, biscuits and gravy, cereals, fruit, toast, jam, bagels, yoghourt, and possibly more items that I didn't see. Breakfast is served from around 7am-10am

The Indoor/Outdoor Pool with both an Indoor & Outdoor Hot Tub:
The pool is an indoor/outdoor pool that has a divider where you can swim under to access either the inside or outside portion of the pool. There are both indoor and outdoor hot tubs. While many don't consider pools a necessity I consider it nearly essential to a hotel stay unless I'm in a place that has so many things to do that a pool is unnecessary. The hot tubs are icing on the cake. If I were here to snow ski or go rafting I would appreciate the ability to soak in the pool after a long day of activities. I can only hope that they keep them open during the winter. If they don't they should.

Location:
Most of the hotels in Beckley are in this general area by the interstate/turnpike exit 44. Visitors wishing to have adult beverages after hours may wish to call The Lost Parrot (a bar in the downtown). They offer free shuttles to and from the bar providing you tip the shuttle driver. Once downtown you could visit the other two bars. Just make sure you get back to the parrot before they close or else you may find yourself stuck downtown without a ride back to your hotel. The West Virginia Tamarack visitors' center is located nearby. If you want to have a look as some things available in WV this will be the place for you to visit. Watch out for Tamarack prices... The stuff they sell there is nice but pricey. Tamarack serves decent food with a menu created by chefs from the Greenbrier (a luxury hotel in in WV). Tamarack food is a la cart and a little pricey but probably worth the money just once to say you did it. For reasonably priced tasty Italian food just down the road you could go to Pasquale's. For a really nice but pricey meal you could go to The Char. The hotel staff can give you directions.

The Lobby:
It seems like just the other day that they built this hotel but lobby, hallways, and common areas are beginning to show signs of wear and tear. Beckley gets its share of visitors year round for hiking, rafting, and snow skiing. I would advise the owners of the property to consider an update in the next few years but everything was completely fine. The "Country Inn" feel that they are going for could be accentuated with a more rustic wood lodge decor. Either way this is nit picky. Everything was clean. If they played up the rustic decor with a log cabin type style and laid down some hardwood in the common areas I would probably give them a higher rating. Visitors could be put off by the smell of the pool from the lobby. This could be fixed with better ventilation between the two areas.

Room Tip: Get a suite if you have 4 people, Get the bridal/wedding/jacuzzi suite if you want a really nice and...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Drew T
Michigan
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We have stayed here in the past and I don't remember having a problem before but this time it wasn't such a good stay. I think next time we will continue driving and try to stop somewhere further north. The room was fine, a little over priced but it was clean and had adequate room. The pool area is very noisy, it sees lots of action, that's for sure. The problem is the people using the pool don't dry themselves well enough and then they go get into the elevator and soak the wooden floors with chlorine so the next morning you are so stuck to the floor you practically have to leave your shoes in the elevator! There is way too much noise in the hotel. We had to listen to kids running through the hallways all night. This is extremely frustrating when you have been driving all day and all you want to do is sleep! I felt like going upstairs and spanking the kids myself! The breakfast area had nothing really special going on, all I know is that there definitely isn't enough space for half of the guests there. And getting there early doesn't help as it is crowded right when it opens. And another bad thing is how hot they keep the hallways and elevators. I would hate to be the staff working there, like the housekeepers because you would die of heat exhaustion.

If you want a loud atmosphere or somewhere you can take your kids to run around or swim all day than this is the place.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family