Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Beckley
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We stayed here overnight on our way back to Cleveland from Florida. Great access off the WV Turnpike, several restaurants/gas near by, only one exit down from a travel plaza and Tamarack. The hotel overall is quite clean, friendly staff, nice indoor pool (albeit cold) and hot tub (thankfully not scalding, more like a bath temperature such that my son could "swim" in it since the pool was so cold). There was also an adjoining outdoor pool and hot tub, but we didn't try those. The hot breakfast was very enjoyable and generous, although the small dining room was extremely [over]crowded. The mattress in our room was a little on the old side and was noisy when you moved around/turned over, but we still had a comfortable night's rest.

Our only issues were the rate (we've stayed in nicer places for a fraction of the $130 AAA suite rate) and a pretty serious MOLD issue on our bathroom ceiling and wall. Thankfully the tub and shower surround were spotless, especially since we didn't notice the mold until we were actually in the shower. I cannot imagine how this mold was overlooked by the cleaning staff. We reported it to the front desk upon check-out and the clerk was apologetic and immediately wrote up a maintenance ticket. She also adjusted our bill by $25.

I cannot say that I would stay here again, as I feel more value could be found elsewhere and I'd be willing to drive to a bigger city like Charleston in hopes of finding a more competitive hotel market. However, if you need to stay in Beckley, West Virginia for whatever reason, it would be an ok choice.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 August 2010

We were greeted warmly by James when we arrived to check in. After we went to our room, I realized it did not have a refrigerator. I asked James whether a room with one was available, and based upon our Goldpoints membership ungraded us to a suite with a refrigerator and microwave.The room was quite large, clean(both bedroom and bathroom) had 2 Tvs, desk for my computer,free wireless internet, cookies when we arrived, and free popcorn in the lobby that night. The pool was clean, plenty of towels, clean mensroom off the pool,2 hottubs(1 in & 1 Outside,and the pool extended outside. They had some rocking lounges which made the day's drive ease way back in my memory. Breakfast, while somewhat crowded,only took a couple of minutes in line and had waffles,cereals,eggs,bacon,sausage,biscuits and gravy juice milk,and coffee. I probably missed a couple of things(hard rolls and bagels), and the area was clean and kept well-stocked during the breakfast rush. For the value received, I would agree with the #1 rating in Beckley that this hotel has received. I would recommend for families,or anyone looking for a clean,quiet stay, with lots of extras included for your travel dollar.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2010

This hotel has seen it's better days. When we checked in they were nice enough! The room was outdated and the bath wasn't as clean as I would like to see...everything has a worn look to it. As we headed to the pool we took the big staircase...the handrail was very loose and wobbly...when we got to the pool area there were no towels and we had to request more. My son adored the pool as it is inside/outside...this was the reason we booked this hotel. It would not be enough of a reason to go back though. The indoor hot tub handrail was also...loose and wobbly and the jets did not even work. The outdoor hot tub was working though. Breakfast was mediore. I am thinking that whoever owns this property needs to invest in it.....make the necessary updates so they can stay competitibve....especially as there is a new holiday inn right next door...which had I known was there I would have stayed at.

Reviewed 30 July 2010

This was my first stay at a Country Inn & Suites. The front desk clerk at check-in was outstanding! He was friendly, helpful, and had huge smile for everyone he greeeted. The rooms were clean, but the furnishings were just average. As one of the other reviewers stated, they are still using bedspreads on the beds, and these were quite dated. Also, the furniture was stained and dated. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was very clean and well stocked. We were only staying one night, and the room met our needs. We were there on a weekend, and the hotel was full. Therefore, trying to get breakfast the next morning was almost impossible. We settled for some coffee and grabbed some fruit from the table outside the breakfast room. I would stay again, but would probably first try the Courtyard or Fairfield Inn which are close by.

Reviewed 29 July 2010

We really like this place. I would not hesitate to stay here again. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to friends. But, I think if they don't get on top of some things, they are going to start losing business. We have been staying here since they opened and stay for one night each July on our travel home from visiting family.

PROS: Great location whether you are just stopping over or staying to enjoy the local activities. Clean lobby, halls and room. Large, clean pool. Delicious breakfast with a nice assortment including sausage gravy, biscuits, eggs, sausage, and waffles. Friendly front desk staff. The room is more than spacious enough for our family of 5. Nice large bathroom. Good water pressure in the shower. Nice bathroom amenities. Plenty of towels in our room. Yummy cookies in the lobby if you can snag one. Easy access to plenty of free ice on each floor. Nice TVs in the rooms. Free internet.

CONS: Breakfast room is small in comparison to the size of the hotel, so if it is full, expect to wait in line. The placement of the coffee, juice and milk in the line requires you to wait in what could be a long line just to refill your beverage. Our first room we were sent to was very smoky. Not sure if this could have been avoided, but one would think housekeeping would have taken care of this (the hotel is non-smoking, but I think when it opened they had smoking rooms. So this was either a previous smoking room or the folks before us smoked in the room). The pool door does not require the use of a key to get in, so very small children (not mine!) come and go as they please totally unsupervised. They appeared understaffed as the two guys at the front desk were working their tails off with no back up. They still use the old bedspreads and blankets. Why can't everyone go to the policy of 100% fresh bedding for each customer? Ick! I would even like it if they used a comforter that they wrap with fresh sheets for each new customer (like Wydham in Gettysburg). The biggest issue....the mattress on the sleeper sofa was worse than just sleeping on the floor. I think a gravel road would have felt better, LOL. My son (who can sleep anywhere) had a miserable night's sleep because the mattress was so bad.

So, as you can see, the cons are not earth shattering ones. Just ones that if continue to worsen or add up, could cause them future problems. We will stay here again next July. We still really enjoy this hotel.

1  Thank Suzibell
Reviewed 15 July 2010

We've often passed through Beckley and stopped for the night. This is our 3rd stay at this hotel. We liked the great pool and hot tubs. The pool is mostly indoors, but a portion of the pool is outdoors and there is also a 2nd hot tub outside. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The breakfast is terrific and features cold items such as cereal. fruit, juice and bad muffins, along with waffles, biscuits and gravy, eggs both scrambled and hard boiled, bacon and sausage. There are several restaurants within walking distance. This hotel's parking lot connects to a Cracker Barrel parking lot, so we ate there. I normally dislike the Cracker Barrel, but this one was ok.

Reviewed 14 July 2010

If you have children this is the hotel to stay in Beckley. They have an indoor pool and outdoor pool that connect. Their breakfast is very good and has many options, hotel check out is not till noon, so you do not have to rush in the morning. The internet is high speed, so you can even watch movies or shows on the computer without it buffering. Overall I really enjoyed this hotel and would recommend it friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business