“Decent Stay”

Microtel Inn by Wyndham Beckley
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Beckley
Reviewed 22 October 2010

Overall, my stay at the Microtel was fine. I loved the window seat! The window opened and the view of the back area was actually pretty nice. The room had lots of storage and a good work space. The lighting in the work space was a little dim and the lighting above the bed was very bright. There was a microwave and mini fridge in the room but there were some stains on the wall in that area- it looked like soda. The channel selection wasn't very good but I did a lot of reading sitting in the window seat. I enjoyed the pool area with whirlpool.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 October 2010

My husband and I decided last minute to head to West Virginia for Bridge Day in Fayetteville. Of Course there were no rooms available anywhere closer than Beckley. We had stayed in Microtels before and were familiar with the quality. Overall, the staff was helpful but when we arrived we wanted to book another night, we were informed that we would have to book the room through Orbitz because that was how we had made our original reservation. Seemed a bit backwards to us but we were able to book another night and keep the same room. It was much less expensive to stay on Sunday Oct 17 ($85/night) than Saturday Oct 16($130/night)!

Breakfast was minimal- bagels, cereal and coffee (which was not very good). Beds were comfortable and rooms were clean. We had a room on the third floor and though the entire hotel was supposed to be smoke-free, the area near the vending machines, elevator and in front of our room had a very STRONG STALE TOBACCO smell. It was kind of gross. The room itself did not smell like smoke, which was nice.

It was about 30 minutes to drive to Fayetteville where we mostly hung out. We watched Bridge Day, rafted on the Lower New with Class VI River Runners and Ziplined on the Gravity course offered by TreeTops Canopy Tours. Overall, we had a great time in WV.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Some stains on the sofa that may have chocolate, and one in the toilet that probably wasn't. :( The bed is comfortable, and the 'suite' is a marvel of efficiency. Nice to have a swivel TV and a sofa, along with a small dining room table and kitchenette. But ours was missing the microwave. What really spoke against the place was the refusal of the front desk clerk the next morning to provide a receipt; she looked up from her personal phone call and said that 'we don't do on-line receipts.' I NEVER heard of this before but couldn't be bothered to argue. I'll wait to get my credit card statement.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2010

We stayed here overnight on way to PA. I agree with the other posts, the hotel did smell. The room appeared clean, however still had the same musty smell the rest of the hotel did. This hotel is not worth the $100 we were charged for the night. Also the front desk did not disclose to us the $25 pet fee. They just charged my credit card the additional fee and never showed the charge anywhere on my invoice. I had to call the front desk after I got my statement to see what the charge was for. My family and I have never stayed at a Microtel before, and after this experience we never will again. The only reason we stayed a this hotel was because they were the only hotel at the time with vacancies. After staying there I can see why. Take my advice............drive on to the next exit if there are not vacancies before staying here.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Just be careful there are two (2) Microtel Inn & Suites in Beckley. We stayed at the one on Harper Rd and it was fine. The beds were very comfortable, easy to get to off the highway, service was fine. We had a late check in and I confirmed before we arrived. I would have no issues staying here again. We stayed one night on our way to our destination.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I booked my hotel room on line at least a month in advance because I knew we would be arriving late with young children and did not want a problem getting a room. We arrived at 1am to find out the hotel "overbooked" and gave away our room. We were sent farther down the highway to another hotel that they found a room for us in, which was a smoking room, I had reserved a nonsmoking room. My credit card was charged the day I made the reservation. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone, I think they give away rooms of late arrivals hoping they will collect double the money since it is was a nonrefundable room.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank dbarano
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We stayed here on the way back from south carolina and it wasa pretty cool hotel. It had a "make yourself at home" feel to it. The rooms were pretty cool. i really enjoyed the pool & hot tub. The only complaint i would have is that the breakfast was pretty lame. But overall it was a satisfactory stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family