“Don't go!”

Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
WV
“Don't go!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

I've been twice to this restaurant. The first time I ordered crab legs, it came with a salad (salad bar is decent) and a baked potato. The potato was good and the fresh hush puppies they serve are really good, but that is all the good I can say. The crab legs were bland, the butter they serve must be imitation butter because it had NO taste what so ever. About two weeks ago, my brother and sister-in-law wanted to go, so hubby and I thought we'd give it another chance. No better this time! I ordered the steamed shrimp, it came with 10 beautiful large shrimp and the imitation melted butter. The shrimp was the most flavorless shrimp I've ever had in my life. I even poured salt on them...still NO taste. The cocktail sauce in the bottle on the table was terrible, no flavor either and it was sweet.
Maybe if you love fried seafood you might like this place, but please don't go expecting much. Also, forgot to mention as soon as you walk in the smell of fish is overwhelming! BLAH!

• Visited March 2013

Beckley, West Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“PATRONS BEWARE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

Worst generic seafood I've ever attempted to eat. The stuffed crab was ? stuffing in a crab shell. The fish was dry and full of bones. The oysters and shimp were tiny and tasted like deep fried breading. The cocktail sauce was ketchup with something mixed in but tasted like ketchup. NOT GOOD.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Karen J
Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

We had a wonderful experience at this new restaurant in Beckley,WV. The salad bar was massive and the wait staff was great! You won't find a better seafood house in Southern West Virginia.

Visited December 2012
Scarbro, West Virginia
“Decent Seafood Restaurant in Beckley”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

Food: First visit to Ocean Bay (in the former Shoney's building on Robert C Byrd Drive). I ordered the broiled mahi mahi, which had generic fish seasoning, but tasted good. It came with onion rings, which were a little different--the batter was corn meal instead of flour. Also tasted good. My sister ordered the catfish, which she said was very good. The portions are good sized.

Note: This is not an up-scale restaurant. The menu is fairly robust but it is more of a fresh fish diner-type eating experience.

The dessert menu only had two options, neither of which I was interested in. Am I wrong to expect a nice slice of fresh key lime pie with my fresh fish dinner? I thought this was de rigeur at fresh fish restaurants? Apparently I am wrong.

Setting: Nautical theme; well spaced booths and tables; room to move around; small salad bar. The place has been freshly painted and is open and bright. Bathrooms are tight--just painted but that's all, instead of any renovations. Be aware: opens at 2 p.m. M-F and there is a line at the door! We got there at 2:30 and were seated immediately. No delays. The crowd was mixed, but many older ones like this place.

Staff: Waitresses are friendly and efficient. Checked back several times to see if we needed anything. Not particularly knowledgeable--couldn't tell me if the dipping butter was real butter or something else--had to ask kitchen; also couldn't tell me about the batter used on the onion rings--corn meal instead of flour. No more than 15 minutes between ordering and receiving food.

Prices: About average prices, maybe slightly less expensive than I imagined. Two lunches with sweet tea came to $24.00. A complimentary basket of hush puppies is brought to the table when you are seated. The hush puppies are a little sweet--not bad, just different from what you might expect.

• Visited December 2012