“Summer Solstice Celebration”
Review of Highlawn Inn

Highlawn Inn
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Five of us stayed at the Inn, and two of us rented the separate house (2 blocks away, but part of the Inn), The Bathkeeper's House for our get- togethers in the evening. The house was beautifully furnished and immaculately clean. We felt that we were guests at someone's home. It was very well equipped with pots,pans dishes etc.
The main house at the Inn is charming and also very clean. Each room had it's own unique character. Everyone was pleased with their accommodations . Sandy , The innkeeper and John (the owner of the house) were delightful and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. Sandy is a phenomenal cook and her breakfasts were delicious and very creative, with something for everyone (no need to eat lunch). I plan on returning a couple times a year to "partake the waters" and definitely will stay at The Highlawn Inn!

Room Tip: The bath keepers house is good for a family or two couples, it gives you privacy and the comforts of...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 June 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Greenview Room (Main House) at Highlawn Inn. We're very spontaneous and decided to go the very same day for one day to celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary on June 19th. Sandy is very accomodative and thoughtful. We've stayed at this B&B two other times so we knew what to expect and that this would be the perfect place for relaxation and noise free, this place is peaceful but not far from the action. We arrived at 4pm, went over to the bathhouse which is located one block from Highlawn, enjoyed a relaxing mineral springs bath which totally relaxed us Then, returned to our room which is beautifully decorated with very tasteful decor. One of the things that I really like about the rooms and the overall B&B is it is very clean (I mean spotless, the housekeeping is the best, wish I could take them home with me), so many little nice touches in the room like quality bath products which I really appreciated(I have sensitive skin),comfortable bed with soft bedding, plush towels, and air conditioning already running when we arrived so our room was cool and comfortable. This is how Sandy maintains her B&B, she pays attention to detail. Sandy made a reservation for us at Tari's restaurant which is only about 3 blocks from the B&B. The dinner was scrumptous and everything had a nice presentation, we are from Baltimore, we would have paid double for the same dinner back home. The wait staff was friendly, knowledgable and attentive. After dinner we returned to the room at the B&B for the remainder of the evening because we just wanted to relax in our room. When you come in Sandy asks what time you want to eat breakfast in the morning and we did not get up until 15 minutes before. Sandy and her staff had our table ready. The breakfast was wonderful and delicious, blueberry scones, sausage, eggs, fruit, yougurt, homemade jams/preserves, fresh squeezed juice , coffee, tea, everything was so pretty, my husband who is the big, tall athletic type commented how perfect and pretty everything looked. He loved the jam/preserves so much we brought two jars to go. Highlawn hosts special dinners (5 courses) throughout the year with wine parings, we actually did one at Highlawn last year, it was one of the best dining experiences we've ever had, all for a very afforable price. This is the only place we'll stay when visiting this area, such a great escape. We're self employed and have decided to use Highlawn as our retreat to re-energize and re-new ourselves. We left shortly after breakfast was back in Baltimore at 12 Noon and back working at 1pm.

Room Tip: Tell Sandy what you want and allow her to select for you, she's knowledgeable and is a people pe...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Sadly, we were only able to spend one night at this inn.... It was a lovely place to stay. It's and old huge Victorian house with kitty cats here and there. Breakfast was superb and presented beautifully. We so enjoyed talki to Sandy, one of he innkeepers, about the history of the famous Berkeley Springs and the baths. And Laura who served the breakfast was also a delight to talk with. We can't wait to go back for a longer say!

Room Tip: I understand that there are twelve total, one cuter than the next. We stayed in #4 and loved it...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trvel4fun
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My wife and I just spent 2 nights at the Highlawn Inn and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Sandy was a wonderful host and the accommodations were very pleasant. Breakfast was delicious and included freshly baked scones, coffee cake ,etc ... and herbs from her garden. We will stay again. Rich and Ashley V

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2012

The Highlawn Inn has grown. In addition to the rooms at the main house (beautifully appointed, with a wide front porch that invites reading, board games, and napping), the Inn also has several out buildings. We stayed in the Lovers Loft at Aunt Pearl's cottage, a charming bungalow located next to the Inn proper and set amid mature flowering trees and shrubs, and we couldn't have been more pleased. We had a separate entrance (our quarters may have originally been the bungalow's 'grandmother's apt') perfect quiet, beautiful decor and antiques, a spacious, sparkling- clean private bath, and a very comfortable bed. Neither of us had back pain after two nights at the Inn. Thoughtful touches included a choice of bed pillows from soft to firm and good quality Highlawn Inn label toiletries. I might suggest a screen door to take advantage of breezes without the bother of overly-friendly bees attracted to the ancient lilacs and dogwoods. Must agree with the other reviews about the superb breakfasts. The Highlawn doesn't skimp on the quality of ingredients and it shows. We dined at the Inn during one of the special periodic dinners and were so pleased with the menu, service, and ambiance. The staff was accommodating, gracious friendly and efficient without hovering. We felt very well-cared-for. My patient beau followed me through antique shop after antique shop. On our next trip, I will return the favor and go hiking with him. The only blemish on our weekend was my less-than-stellar meal Friday night at a local restaurant, although my beau's meal was fine. Next trip, we will dine at Tari's, instead.

Room Tip: The website has very good photos that you can trust in choosing a room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Can't say enough good things about the Highlawn Inn. We went for a "girls" spa weekend. We stayed in the Bathkeeper's Quarters and what a treat it was. The house has a large porch perfect for sitting. It sits on a main street, so there is quite a bit of traffic during the day, but didn't interrupt my sleep at night. The house is about a block from the actual inn, but within walking distance. We walked up for breakfast the first morning that we were there. Sandy does an excellent job with breakfast. It was delicious!! We couldn't wait for the next morning. The house is very close to Berkley Springs State Park and shopping/restaurants/spas. We walked everywhere with little effort, even though the house was part of the way up a hill. We enjoyed our stay so much that we are planning on making it an annual event and hope to be able to stay at the Highlawn Inn when we return.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kathy G
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Having never stayed at a B&B, Partner and I opted to give the Highlawn Inn a try the weekend before Valentine's Day. What a pleasant stay! The location was great, just a block from the shops and restaurants, but it is up a hill. Be sure to ask for the 'back way'. We were lodged in the Victorian Suite, which was on the first floor and had its own private porch. It was too cold to use the porch, but it would be wonderful to sit out there on a nice day. The room was comfortable, spacious, and sunny. However, if you are a light sleeper (I am not), you may want to request another room, since the morning noise could disrupt your REM.

Now, let's move on to the food. Holy smokes, the breakfast here was amazing. I am a vegetarian, and there were plenty of options. Plenty and delicious. After the first breakfast, I really couldn't wait for the next breakfast. Each thing I had from the buffet-style breakfast was better than the last. So so delicious. We also got lucky as the Inn was hosting a special Valentine's dinner. Everything was cooked to perfection!

Finally, I'd like to thank Barbara for all of her assistance. She was great to talk with and gave us lots of great tips (such as the couches at the movie theater and how to cook spaghetti squash)!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple