“We can't wait to go back!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Highlawn Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berkeley Springs
Highlawn Inn
Maryland
“We can't wait to go back!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2008

My husband and I just returned from a 3-day, 2-night stay in Berkeley Springs, WV on February 10. We stayed at a B&B for the first time in our 16 years of marriage. What can I say? It was FABULOUS! The Highlawn Inn exceeded all expectations we had for our “Anniversary Weekend”. The house was immaculate, our room spotless, breakfast was flawless and scrumptious and the valentine dinner Sandy planned for Saturday night was amazing!!! We are already talking about going back next year.

Sandy the owner has done an impeccable job of maintaining a part of history in Berkeley Springs and allowing others to take part in it by staying at the inn. While there, you can actually step back in time. Sandy enthusiastically shares the history of the main house and other properties that make up the Highlawn Inn. We stayed in the suite in the main house on the entrance level. The suite has its own entrance. The suite is elegantly decorated with Victorian furnishings. The suite is a nice size with ample room to sleep or relax and read. The bathroom was tastefully decorated. The radiators and their pipes play a melodious symphony through the night that had me reminiscing back 40 years. When waking up in the morning to the aroma of fresh brewed coffee and smells of heaven in the air being prepared in the kitchen. It was evident during our stay there that Sandy not only owned a business but also was passionate about what she was doing and she did it with love that was demonstrated with her interaction with each guest.

It was wonderful to see that a couple’s visit to the Highlawn Inn was a 20-year tradition, as well as another couple that had been coming for nine. Every year coming to this “home away from home” sanctuary to visit with Sandy and fellowship with old and new friends.

We found Berkeley Springs to be an interesting town and the simplicity refreshing. The Star movie theatre is a beautiful old building that allows you to take a step back into time with its one feature show and one show time Friday – Sunday at 8:00 pm and popcorn made from an old fashioned popcorn maker. They charge $3:75 for admission. Downtown boasts of its variety of shops with an emphasis on natural healing and eclectic healthy dining eateries.

I would like to concur with everyone who has written a review and gave Sandy a five ***** rating! Who said you could not have a piece of “Heaven here on earth”!

• Liked — Locaton
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank luv2traveldc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
D.C.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2008

My husband and I went to the Highlawn Inn for a getaway from D.C. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The gourmet breakfast was delicious -- especially the homemade cinnamon scones!

We would definitely stay at the Highlawn again!

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank Shayna2008
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2008

My husband and I visited the Highlawn last night for a last minute anniversary getaway. Based on the reviews on this site, I chose Highlawn. We love staying at b and b's and now that we have a baby, it's hard to do. The room we stayed in was the Spring Garden room on the second floor. The room was EXTREMELY clean. The bed was comfortble and large. The floor creaked a lot (to be expected because of the age of the house) The inn was quiet and cozy and the only time we saw or heard any other guests was when we were leaving or at breakfast. The breakfast was very yummy, everything homemade and plentiful. Sandy, the owner made dinner reservations and was very accomodating. I would stay here again, but next time would try out one of the rooms in Aunt Pearl's house.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank wheninroam05
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2007

We have been staying at the Highlawn every Labor Day weekend for about six years. The rooms are comfortable and charming, Sandy is friendly and helpful, love the resident kitties. Sitting on the porch and reading, going to Atasia spa, visiting the local restaurants and shops make for a great getaway weekend.

Stayed September 2007
3 Thank Bagemous
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2007

I visited the Highlawn Inn as part of a "girls getaway" to the spa town. The experience was great. The food was wonderful, the atmosphere pleasant, and the location was great. We could easily walk to anywhere in town, including the spa. Our hostess was very nice and I would highly recommend to my friends.

• Liked — The excellent breakfast and the location.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank poncho123
richmond, va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2007

Highlawn in is not luxury, but it's definately cute and relaxing. We stayed in the Parlor Room and I recommend it b/c of the super warm fireplace and in-room jacuzzi for two. Bring your own VCR tape and avoid "Like Water for Chocolate." The staff is really friendly and it was very clean. Dinner out at Tari is a must and try a glass of wine at La Luna. It's a bit of a drive from Richmond, but if you take the Skyline Drive and have a long weekend, then it might be worth it. Oh, and the bed was really hard--that's probably the only negative--I'm thinking of contacting the inn and recommending adding a pillow top.

• Liked — Very clean--loved the in-room fireplace and spa.
  • Disliked — Very dated and the bed was hard.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank arthistorygrrrl
Annapolis, Md
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2007

This was only our second experience staying at a Bed & Breakfast- so I don’t have too much to compare to; however, if I stay in another, I will have very high expectations now that I have experienced Highlawn Inn. My husband read all of the reviews, and, while a bit skeptical (not sure if the food is really all it was hyped up to be) he made the reservations. We were pleasantly surprised! The breakfast was a wonderful blend of homemade and gourmet goodness. The dinner was even better! I never thought an entire meal could be so delicious and satisfying from start to finish. The chef, she is a culinary genius. I had to beg her to promise that she would publish the cookbook that she is working on before the holidays! (While she did not promise that she would have it completed by December- she did say that she would work diligently on it- it will be my new go-to cookbook for special occasions!)

The Inn itself was very comfortable and pleasant. It is a great location to town- within walking distance to everything. The staff were helpful and did everything they could to answer all of our questions. I highly recommend the Highlawn Inn. Regardless of your expectations- you won’t be disappointed!

Stayed October 2007
3 Thank cdo7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#1 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
Cacapon Resort State Park
Cacapon Resort State Park
#3 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
BEST WESTERN Berkeley Springs Inn
BEST WESTERN Berkeley Springs In...
#2 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
#4 of 14 in Martinsburg
Motel 6 Martinsburg
Motel 6 Martinsburg
#3 of 14 in Martinsburg

Been to Highlawn Inn? Share your experiences!