“Friendly staff but room was average” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Highlawn Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berkeley Springs
Highlawn Inn
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Friendly staff but room was average”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

I have the same exact complaints as another reviewer concerning the Herb Garden Nook room that I stayed in. The bed was very uncomfortable because the mattress needs to be replaced. You could feel a dip in the middle of the bed so you would slowly slide into the "pit" during the night. It was very hard to go to sleep since I couldn't get into a comfortable position. The room and bathroom itself was adequate but it needs a little bit of TLC. The rocking chair was broken (which I was warned about) and the TV was a small 10 inch TV.

However, the staff was friendly and excellent. They advised us of where to eat and even got reservations for us. Breakfast was also very interesting. They cooked original recipes and I tried new breakfast dishes. Some I didn't like so much but was interesting to try. Also, there was free Wi-fi and the location was great! You were walking distance to the main street.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
East Coast USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

First, the positive: we were treated very kindly and enjoyed everyone (staff and
guests) we met. The breakfasts were fine (& the coffee is fabulous).

My suggestions for our room (#5, the Herb Garden Nook): because the bed is a double, my guess is that this room is usually used by solo travelers. I'm guessing that because the mattress has a definite, pronounced "gully" on the side of the bed closest to the bedside table. (This is visible even before the bedcovers are pulled back.) Please consider a new mattress or at least turning the mattress that is there. Also, there are a number of areas where the wallpaper is peeling a bit at the seams, and some cracks, dents, small holes, etc., in the bathroom flooring. This room could use one comfy armchair: there is a wooden side chair, nice enough but not for extended reading, and an armless wicker-seat rocker on which the wicker seat has been completely destroyed (as in, it looks like someone put their foot through it; this has been covered by a cushion, but it's still not comfortable to sit on).

Given the high number of "loveliest B&B" comments in other reviews, I can only assume that our room is the exception to the rule. And, please note, none of the above issues made this an unpleasant stay for us - we were just expecting a bit more, based on reviews, and wanted to offer our hosts some constructive suggestions.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Delamom
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

I flew to WV in Aug. to visit a couple old friends and the three of us stayed at the Highlawn Inn. I normally avoid Bed and Breakfast places, having had to share bathrooms, and hearing too much noise. However, my friend made the reservations here, and the three of us stayed in one room.

I was pleasantly surprised. Lovely place, well-maintained. Two of us slept in one king-sized bed which was very comfortable, and neither of us felt the other move during the night. My other friend slept on a roll-a-bed type thing, which she said was quite comfortable also. We had our own bathroom, and a nice table with chairs to sit at and drink tea, which was available in the dining room. The room was kept cool with a window air conditioner which was not noisy like some.

The breakfast rooms were well-decorated and pleasant. The breakfast was excellent, with some fresh fruit, freshly-baked muffins, and several other offerings, all very delicious. We had the opportunity to chat with the owner, who has had this B&B for 25-30 years. It was clear she loved what she does, and that was evident with the condition of the place, the attention to detail, and the nice little touches, like free tea, coffee, hot cocoa, and fresh water.

I highly recommend the Highlawn Inn B&B for a comfortable, enjoyable, quiet stay, and the nice personal touch.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank CindyJ43
Gaithersburg, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

This is definitely the loveliest and best Bed and Breakfast I have ever stayed at. Sandy the Innkeeper and her staff are so welcoming and hospitable. Sandy makes a delicious breakfast in the morning for each guest. On the weekends she makes a large buffet including scrambled eggs, bacon, scones, and on Sundays makes crazy buttermilk biscuits. Breakfast is served in the large dining room. I stayed in the Garden Room in the Aunt Pearl's building just down the hill from the main inn.I had my own private entrance and my own little porch. It was so comfortable and relaxing. I would often sit out on the porch and read as well as sitting on the large porch on the main building. It is rare that a hotel/inn meets all my expectations. The Highlawn Inn met them and more. I will definitely be coming back, and now consider this the only place to stay while in Berkeley Springs.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Maryellen523
Montgomery Village, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

Enjoyable, beautiful place to stay! We got married and booked the main house for our wedding party. It was so much fun. The food was excellent, the decor was beautiful and Sandy was great. It was simply perfect! We're going back next summer for our anniversary, can't wait!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liz B
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

Five of us stayed at the Inn, and two of us rented the separate house (2 blocks away, but part of the Inn), The Bathkeeper's House for our get- togethers in the evening. The house was beautifully furnished and immaculately clean. We felt that we were guests at someone's home. It was very well equipped with pots,pans dishes etc.
The main house at the Inn is charming and also very clean. Each room had it's own unique character. Everyone was pleased with their accommodations . Sandy , The innkeeper and John (the owner of the house) were delightful and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. Sandy is a phenomenal cook and her breakfasts were delicious and very creative, with something for everyone (no need to eat lunch). I plan on returning a couple times a year to "partake the waters" and definitely will stay at The Highlawn Inn!

Room Tip: The bath keepers house is good for a family or two couples, it gives you privacy and the comforts of...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Greenview Room (Main House) at Highlawn Inn. We're very spontaneous and decided to go the very same day for one day to celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary on June 19th. Sandy is very accomodative and thoughtful. We've stayed at this B&B two other times so we knew what to expect and that this would be the perfect place for relaxation and noise free, this place is peaceful but not far from the action. We arrived at 4pm, went over to the bathhouse which is located one block from Highlawn, enjoyed a relaxing mineral springs bath which totally relaxed us Then, returned to our room which is beautifully decorated with very tasteful decor. One of the things that I really like about the rooms and the overall B&B is it is very clean (I mean spotless, the housekeeping is the best, wish I could take them home with me), so many little nice touches in the room like quality bath products which I really appreciated(I have sensitive skin),comfortable bed with soft bedding, plush towels, and air conditioning already running when we arrived so our room was cool and comfortable. This is how Sandy maintains her B&B, she pays attention to detail. Sandy made a reservation for us at Tari's restaurant which is only about 3 blocks from the B&B. The dinner was scrumptous and everything had a nice presentation, we are from Baltimore, we would have paid double for the same dinner back home. The wait staff was friendly, knowledgable and attentive. After dinner we returned to the room at the B&B for the remainder of the evening because we just wanted to relax in our room. When you come in Sandy asks what time you want to eat breakfast in the morning and we did not get up until 15 minutes before. Sandy and her staff had our table ready. The breakfast was wonderful and delicious, blueberry scones, sausage, eggs, fruit, yougurt, homemade jams/preserves, fresh squeezed juice , coffee, tea, everything was so pretty, my husband who is the big, tall athletic type commented how perfect and pretty everything looked. He loved the jam/preserves so much we brought two jars to go. Highlawn hosts special dinners (5 courses) throughout the year with wine parings, we actually did one at Highlawn last year, it was one of the best dining experiences we've ever had, all for a very afforable price. This is the only place we'll stay when visiting this area, such a great escape. We're self employed and have decided to use Highlawn as our retreat to re-energize and re-new ourselves. We left shortly after breakfast was back in Baltimore at 12 Noon and back working at 1pm.

Room Tip: Tell Sandy what you want and allow her to select for you, she's knowledgeable and is a people pe...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#1 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
Cacapon Resort State Park
Cacapon Resort State Park
#3 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
BEST WESTERN Berkeley Springs Inn
BEST WESTERN Berkeley Springs In...
#2 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
#4 of 14 in Martinsburg
Comfort Inn Aikens Center
Comfort Inn Aikens Center
#2 of 14 in Martinsburg

Been to Highlawn Inn? Share your experiences!