“An exceedingly better B and B”
Review of Highlawn Inn

Highlawn Inn
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Sandy at Highlawn Inn is a most gracious and competent hostess. This was our second time there and again we found the perfect get-away for a quiet, friendly, delicious, and comfortable respite. Lynn and I could not recommend the Highland Inn any more highly!
Ira

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 January 2013

Cannot say enough about all of the amenities at Highlawn Inn. The rooms are immaculate, the breakfast is scrumptious, the cats are darling and the proprietor is as nice as she can be. This was our 2nd time at this Inn and both times we enjoyed our stay immensely. So much so that we plan on going back again sometime this year. Would recommend it highly. Lynn & Ira

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I would rather keep this little gem to ourselves, but I can't! This is a wonderful bed and breakfast. Our 1st trip was 15 years ago for our honeymoon, and again every 5 years after that. Each time it is the same wonderful service, food, cleanliness, and people. If you are able to go in the fall there are several times they do special dinners. All the rooms are wonderful and well appointed AND we love the wireless (not there the last 3 times:)) Thanks Sandra!
The Highlawn Inn is a special place to visit and within walking distance of everything in downtown Berkeley Springs. We parked our car and for 3 days we walked everywhere! I can not say enough about Sandra, Tim (behind the scenes) and all the staff! Together they will make your experience a real memory and a very special time.
Thanks for everything. Maybe we will break with tradition and try again next year!

Room Tip: There is a variety of rooms, if you are a familty or several couples, check out Aunt Pearl's cot...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2012

My adult daughter and I just spent three delightful days here. Sandy, the proprietor, is an amazing chef and baker. Her delicious breakfasts were a highlight of our trip. Our room was inviting, warm, and comfortable, just like home. Sandy's staff were gracious, friendly, and catered to our every need. Even the resident kitties were friendly! I highly recommend Highlawn Inn to anyone looking for a lovely place to come home to after exploring the town of Berkeley Springs.

Room Tip: Victorian Room in the main house has it's own porch. Clawfoot tub and lovely decor add to the ch...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I have the same exact complaints as another reviewer concerning the Herb Garden Nook room that I stayed in. The bed was very uncomfortable because the mattress needs to be replaced. You could feel a dip in the middle of the bed so you would slowly slide into the "pit" during the night. It was very hard to go to sleep since I couldn't get into a comfortable position. The room and bathroom itself was adequate but it needs a little bit of TLC. The rocking chair was broken (which I was warned about) and the TV was a small 10 inch TV.

However, the staff was friendly and excellent. They advised us of where to eat and even got reservations for us. Breakfast was also very interesting. They cooked original recipes and I tried new breakfast dishes. Some I didn't like so much but was interesting to try. Also, there was free Wi-fi and the location was great! You were walking distance to the main street.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2012

First, the positive: we were treated very kindly and enjoyed everyone (staff and
guests) we met. The breakfasts were fine (& the coffee is fabulous).

My suggestions for our room (#5, the Herb Garden Nook): because the bed is a double, my guess is that this room is usually used by solo travelers. I'm guessing that because the mattress has a definite, pronounced "gully" on the side of the bed closest to the bedside table. (This is visible even before the bedcovers are pulled back.) Please consider a new mattress or at least turning the mattress that is there. Also, there are a number of areas where the wallpaper is peeling a bit at the seams, and some cracks, dents, small holes, etc., in the bathroom flooring. This room could use one comfy armchair: there is a wooden side chair, nice enough but not for extended reading, and an armless wicker-seat rocker on which the wicker seat has been completely destroyed (as in, it looks like someone put their foot through it; this has been covered by a cushion, but it's still not comfortable to sit on).

Given the high number of "loveliest B&B" comments in other reviews, I can only assume that our room is the exception to the rule. And, please note, none of the above issues made this an unpleasant stay for us - we were just expecting a bit more, based on reviews, and wanted to offer our hosts some constructive suggestions.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Delamom
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I flew to WV in Aug. to visit a couple old friends and the three of us stayed at the Highlawn Inn. I normally avoid Bed and Breakfast places, having had to share bathrooms, and hearing too much noise. However, my friend made the reservations here, and the three of us stayed in one room.

I was pleasantly surprised. Lovely place, well-maintained. Two of us slept in one king-sized bed which was very comfortable, and neither of us felt the other move during the night. My other friend slept on a roll-a-bed type thing, which she said was quite comfortable also. We had our own bathroom, and a nice table with chairs to sit at and drink tea, which was available in the dining room. The room was kept cool with a window air conditioner which was not noisy like some.

The breakfast rooms were well-decorated and pleasant. The breakfast was excellent, with some fresh fruit, freshly-baked muffins, and several other offerings, all very delicious. We had the opportunity to chat with the owner, who has had this B&B for 25-30 years. It was clear she loved what she does, and that was evident with the condition of the place, the attention to detail, and the nice little touches, like free tea, coffee, hot cocoa, and fresh water.

I highly recommend the Highlawn Inn B&B for a comfortable, enjoyable, quiet stay, and the nice personal touch.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends