“The Trifecta of Fun”
Review of Highlawn Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berkeley Springs
Highlawn Inn
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“The Trifecta of Fun”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We have been visiting Highlawn Inn for over 20 years....with a move to South Carolina in 2005, we sorely missed Sandy's fine touch of elegance in Berkeley Springs so we decided to drive for a few days of rest and relaxation. The Victorian inn and lush gardens were in full spring mode, but nothing compares to the personalized service of Sandy, Tim and Barbara. Breakfast (and dinners on special weekends) cannot be compared to many including our own B&B's in Hilton Head. The decorations were up for Memorial Day and spring flowers were popping out all throughout the gardens of Aunt Pearl's and the Main House. One call did it all! Sandy made our spa reservations to Atasia Spa (Frankie is wonderful) and Tari's for dinner (and lunch and another dinner)!! We reserved our favorite room, the Greenview Room, overlooking the town's mountains. Since we have stayed in every room in the main house, Aunt Pearl's and the Carriage House, we were lucky to have a room open as a full vacancy sign was going up for the weekend. Don't miss this peaceful getaway so close to the cities - and we'll be back again this summer/fall from South Carolina, too.

Room Tip: Room #6, the Victorian Suite, is very peaceful, with a private sitting area and ground floor entranc...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liz M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Bethesda, MD
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed recently at the Highlawn Inn for a weekend of pampering and spas after skiing. Overall, the stay was wonderful.

The room was large and clean, comfortable, and warm. We really enjoyed the separate room that had our private jacuzzi tub! The Inn uses the water from the famous Berkeley Springs, and we made good use of that in the jacuzzi.

The bed was very comfortable. Everything was clean, and our room was quite large and had plenty of natural light.

But now, the breakfast. Maybe it was just me. Maybe it was just this weekend, but I had a completely different experience than most others here. Our breakfast the first day was cold. Cold eggs and cold bacon. At first we thought it may have been because we got downstairs later than others, but the second day we went down as breakfast started and we had the same issue. And aside from that, the rest of the selection was not to my liking. Bread pudding and corn pudding are not my style. The fruit was nice though.

Overall, I'd certainly return. The house cats are fantastic and the owners and manager were very sweet. The room was very comfortable and the jacuzzi tub was awesome. The only change to my routine would be that I would just hop on down the road and get myself a warm breakfast next time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leandro L
highlawn2, Owner at Highlawn Inn, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
We are glad that these guests enjoyed our most requested guest room and when talking to them seemed to enjoy their stay. We are disappointed that they did not let us know of their concerns and given us a chance to fix the problem. We checked our buffet heating elements and did not find any problems. As far as the Corn Pudding to each their own but this is one of our most requested recipes. We have a variety of items on the breakfast buffet usually 8-10 different items and that is what has been our main stay for the past 29 years.We are disappointed that we did not meet these guests expectations but only wish we had a chance to solve the problem.
Washington, DC
Reviewed 25 January 2014

On MLK weekend, I had to get out of hectic DC for a brief trip. I found Highlawn Inn on Trip Advisor and it surpassed my expectations. Sandy, the Inn owner and Barb her assistant made it feel like I was at home. The Inn is decorated in high Victorian style with Eastlake antiques, Boyd's bears, and big fireplace with a fire in the center of the room. I spent hours relaxing on the couch. The room was perfect. I won't tell you which one so I can book it again. The room with teas, coffees and Berkely Springs water at the touch of water cooler tap were an unexpected bonus. I had a great breakfast with sweetpotatoes with a kick of sherry, crisp bacon, fresh fruit and homemake jams. And Sandy sent out two pieces of GF toast. Tim
special blend coffee woke me right up. There's plenty of parking and it is two blocks from down town. Everyone knows Sandy and Highlawn. Head out there for a step back in time.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Downsville
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

The girlfriend and I needed a peaceful weekend getaway. We got exactly that! Highlawn is exactly what a bed and breakfast should be. The location is perfect and you can walk to most sights in town. We stayed in The Herb Garden Nook and the room was cozy, the soft mattress bed was probably the most comfortable bed I've slept in. The pillows were perfect. The room was heated perfectly. The claw-foot tub was a huge hit with my lady. The breakfasts were just amazing and offered vegetarian dishes, another hit with us! The cats are so cute! Easy parking. Sandra was the friendliest inn keeper we've ever met. We certainly will return.

• Stayed December 2013
Chestertown, Maryland
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My wife and I stayed here earlier this week. Sandy and her staff were extremely friendly, attentive, and professional. Our room was extremely clean and well-kept: the only "sour note" on our trip was that both my wife and I found the bed in our room to be too soft and lumpy for our taste. But, hey, perhaps that's just us.

Our breakfasts were delicious and varied each day. The portion sizes were perfect - didn't make us feel as though we needed a nap afterwards!

The B&B is located very close to the downtown shopping/dining areas, and we enjoyed the ability to park our car in their lot and simply explore Berkeley Springs by foot.

Overall, a great value.

Room Tip: The B&B does have cats, so people who may dander allergies may wish to consider that. However, t...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ks21620
MD
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My wife and I decided to return to Berkley Springs WV; A place that held fond, romantic memories of 30 years ago. Instead of the commercial hotels, although they were very nice, we went the B&B route for a change. The Inn itself is beautifully decorated with literally hundreds of tiny little details that set it apart from your run of the mill room and food guest homes. After checking their excellent website { http://www.highlawninn.com/guest-rooms-2.html } which is very informative and filled with pictures and descriptions of your various choice of rooms, my wife and I opted for the intimacy of the Carriage House, an ante-bellum loft room in a carriage house separate from the main houses; with tin roof and open rafters, on one hand and free wireless Internet access and an in room Jacuzzi on the other a real balance of today and yesterday. Your choices are many though depending on the size and privacy that you desire. After being very warmly greeted by Sandy, the owner. We were handed the key to the carriage house and left to explore our new home. I say home because that's what it really felt like! There were a huge variety of books of all tastes with Vonnegut, Sheldon, Patterson and many, many others. A nice large TV built into a hand made corner hutch that came with a DVD and VCR player and the perfect balance of taste in the contemporary and classic films. Balance is a great word to describe the ambiance of Highlawn just the right balance of everything. We were able to walk to the main street of Berkley Springs to a charming restaurant called Tari's that had excellent mood music and even better food. Again, Sandy had made us the reservations. A few blocks stroll around town and then back to our nest for great nights sleep in the brass railed Victorian bed.
The next day:
Since Berkley is known for its springs and massages we asked for a recommendation for a local spa where we could each get a relaxing massage. We were referred by Barbara (as warm and friendly as Sandy!) who made us reservations at Atasia Spa with their specialist Frankie. Frankie's magic hands and techniques, were everything his reputation described and more. Two wet noodles wiggled their way back to the room for a nap and later a trip to Mi Ranchito, an authentic Mexican restaurant a block off the main drag.
The next day:
Although starting to feel a little sad because today was checkout day we awoke to the breakfast of a lifetime (I forgot to mention it the previous day, this place just has so much to recommend it!). Sandy and her gang of wonderful helpers made perfect scrambled eggs, sourdough toast, fresh fruit with cream, delicious local fruit butters, sausages or bacon. One day asparagus, the next, tomatoes and lox; always complimented with in season Sandy's garden herbs. Did I mention the garden, a very private little heaven in itself, worthy of a morning stroll. One word if you like kitties, this is your spot. Although they are friendly to those that pet and play they are aloof enough to leave those that aren't cat lovers to their own. My wife and I are pet lover's so we found them the perfect little companions with them popping up here and there as we enjoyed our stay.

We checked out, paid our unbelievably reasonable bill, and with just a little sadness left Sandy, her kitties, Barbara and the other helpers in the rearview as we pulled onto 522 heading east to our MD home. I'd like to find something to complain about, so you don't think this is a paid review, but there just isn't. Highlawn is a true little slice of the heaven that is West Virginia.

Room Tip: Try them all, but we really loved the Carriage House.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Accommodated our late night arrival, delicious breakfast, friendly but not overbearing staff, clean cozy room. Close to downtown shops and baths. Have recommended to friends already. Fantastic value. Recommend Tira's for breakfast and sweet bakery items.

• Stayed June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#2 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
Best Western Berkeley Springs Inn
Best Western Berkeley Springs In...
#1 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
#2 of 2 in Hancock
Hilton Garden Inn Martinsburg
Hilton Garden Inn Martinsburg
#1 of 14 in Martinsburg

Been to Highlawn Inn? Share your experiences!