“Good food and good prices - restaurant review.”

Maria's Garden and Inn
Maria's Garden and Inn
Waldorf, MD
“Good food and good prices - restaurant review.”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We live outside of Berkeley Springs and have eaten here several times. We have always enjoyed both the food and the reasonable prices. The staff have always been friendly and the service good. The hundreds of religious icons which decorate the place are fun to browse.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dsrdsr1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Gettysburg, Ohio
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We travel through Berkeley Springs a few times a year on business and have never stayed at the B&B, but we did stop here once for lunch because it looked like a quaint place to eat. The only word I can use to describe the restaurant itself is "creepy". The decor is all things Catholic...pictures & statues of Virgin Mary, the Pope (past and present), crosses, Jesus, various Saints, rosaries, scapulars, etc., and they are EVERYWHERE. We are not heathens or non-believers, but it's hard to really enjoy a meal with all of these items looking at you, and hearing the "heavenly" music. As for the food... marginal at best. We each had a sandwich that was served on plain white bread that you would buy at your local market which was served with a small side of potato chips. Not to mention that our small order took a very long time to arrive. The staff was nice enough, but the theme of the restaurant really is a bit much. I know that we will not go back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank gsdull

Travellers are raving about these Berkeley Springs hotels

Bath, New Hampshire
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We've eaten at Maria's several time, and have enjoyed it every time. The food is good, the prices are reasonable, and the staff is friendly. The restaurant is decorated in a unusual way. The theme is religious, with many pictures and artifacts you will probably not see in one place anywhere else. It's an interesting restaurant, don't miss it.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim D
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 16 December 2012

This is my second trip to Maria's Garden. My daughter & grandaughter accompanied me. We went for lunch and the lasagna, mannicotti and stuffed shells were wonderful! The sauce excellent and flavorfull! The service was great. It was a meal to remember! The best part was introducing the delightful owner of the restaurant to my family. The decor is special as it has many Icons,religious statues, paintings and some special relics on display. Peggy is a wonderful historian and is quite knowledgable about the Catholic Faith and the special treasures within the restaurant. The atmosphere is very European and one leaves with a warm pleasure that you have learned something special and the dining experience was so good! I look forward to returing! Berkeley Springs is delightful. We did antique shoppes, delighted in the Christmas Tree in the Gazebo in the park, listened to the Piano Tunes of a traveling player with his cute dog on top of his truck and to tie it up with a bow, went to the Panoramic Vista and took pictures to remember the day!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 21 October 2012

This review is for the restaurant, not the inn. If you are visiting Berkeley Springs there aren't too many choices for food but please please do not waste your time going here. We went this weekend looking for an inexpensive Italian meal and were beyond disappointed. We asked for recommendations and were told "I wouldn't get that" "that's not fresh" or "that's just frozen dough". We had the pleasure of sitting near the kitchen where we heard food being "cooked" in the microwave for all the guests. Surprisingly for such a religious themed place, they do have a small selection of beer and wait for it....Carlo Rossi jug wine. Haha! We waited for over an hour only to have our orders messed up. This place might be suitable for the over 80 crowd, but if you are looking for a good meal, do not go here. I can't speak for the Inn, that may be an ok place to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Tappahannock, Virginia
Reviewed 31 July 2012 via mobile

I ate at Maria's with my mom and aunt. We were really looking forward to eating here because of the description of the homemade pasta sauces on the menu. I got the Italian sub and a side of spaghetti, my mom got the mozzarella bread with a side of spaghetti and my aunt got the vegetable omelette. We were really disappointed in the pasta sauce. Everyone thought it was too bland and that our own recipes were better. My Italian sub was ok, but my aunt thought her omelette was pretty tasteless. Everyone's favorite was the mozzarella bread and marinara sauce. We sat out in the garden, which was nice, but all the religious statues and icons were really distracting (and not in a good way) and the waitress was pretty surly too. We had several really great meals in Berkeley Springs and even though the food wasn't terrible at Maria's, it was definitely our least favorite meal of our vacation.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lvn4vacation
N.P. NY
Reviewed 2 August 2011

This restaurant is over the top in the fact it seems to be a catch all for everything about the Virgin Mary. It appears to be more of an obsession rather than a homage.I would suspect Mary would be a bit overwhelmed to see all of this. But that is just my opinion. Had I known what I was in for I would not have entered. The food.....was awful...took too long. Ordered the large breakfast special, "Steak and Eggs". The eggs cooked perfectly, our toast was "italian bread" I got the top half, my husband got the bottom. The steak resembled the tongue of an old boot. Although we both ordered it Medium rare, it appeared to either have been deep fried or reheated in a microwave from a frozen cooked state. Hmm..home fries were merely 2 oz of thinly sliced potatoes that were fried in oil. Throughout our meal we had to listen to the owner preach to another table about how religious she was and all the subjects she was an expert in, George Washington is one of them. This is not a good choice for a meal, not only did we feel this way, looking at other reviews, we are not alone. One last thing...there was a Christmas tree in the middle of it all, in July.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank BariCam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#2 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
Best Western Berkeley Springs Inn
Best Western Berkeley Springs In...
#1 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
#2 of 2 in Hancock
Cacapon Resort State Park
Cacapon Resort State Park
#3 of 4 in Berkeley Springs

Been to Maria's Garden and Inn? Share your experiences!