I booked a stay at the Cacapon State Park Resort for October, 2011 after seeing a favorable review in a travel magazine. The review specifically stated that it was one of the best vacation spots in the U.S. for the price, and I would certainly be inclined to agree! Not everything about my trip was great, but the overall experience was well worth the long drive. In summery:
Pros: The location is spectacular. If you have ever encountered anyone expressing wariness about visiting the Appalachian Mountains, they have no idea what they are talking about and probably haven't seen it in person. Beautiful landscapes, untouched local ecosystems, abundant wildlife and true rustic living place this state park near the top of my list for a nature retreat. The only place I think is better may be Mesa Verde in Colorado, and it is a very close call between the two.
I stayed in a Classic Cabin (I forgot the number) for around four days, during my time here. The surrounding area is simply breathtaking to behold, and in spite of living "off the grid" during this time I found my stay to be very enjoyable. The immediate area around my cabin was well accommodated with a picnic table to take in the view, along with a well positioned trash disposal area at the end of the foot path to the road. (All of this is located in black bear country, so it is wise to keep your garbage sealed and well away from any living areas.)
The cabin itself was comfortable. The bed linens were well tended and very clean, and I could appreciate the 1930's construction of the cabin, itself. Not only was it very solid, but it looked like it could retain a lot of warmth during the Winter months. The front door was well constructed and very secure, so I would guess that it takes noticeable effort (meaning someone staying nearby would hear it) for anyone to break in. The bathroom was small but serviceable, and there was everything you needed to sustain yourself during your visit.
The resort lodge had a good restaurant, especially for the meal prices. All of the staff were friendly and helpful, the other guests were respectful of everyone and non-intrusive. While there wasn't a visible Security presence in the resort area, it probably isn't needed. Local law enforcement officials are likely familiar with the area and have easy access to it.
Cons: Disappointments were few and far between during this outing, except for two big caveats. And one of them is something I know cannot be helped by anyone at the resort. First, the website specifically listed a microwave oven as one of the cabin amenities. Mine didn't have one, but to be fair I never asked about it. All of the food I brought could be cooked on a stove. Second, the entire area, as well as my cabin, was overrun with small green stink bugs. This is an invasive species that's more of a nuisance than anything else, and hardly a huge issue if you're quick with a fly swatter.
Also, be aware that if you stay in a classic cabin, your cell phone reception may be blocked inside.
If I do come here again, and I may well do so, I'll probably opt for one of the lodge rooms or a modern cabin. Beyond the two small issues which came up during my vacation here, I'm very glad that I took the time to visit Cacapon State Park. And I would recommend it for anyone else, be it an anniversary, family reunion or simply a solo trip to the edge of the wilderness in West Virginia.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cacapon Resort is a mountain lodge located in Cacapon State Park, named after its close proximity to Cacapon Mountain, the highest peak in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia. The four-season lodge provides easy access to outdoor recreation including hiking, beach swimming, fishing and the Robert Trent Jones, Sr. golf course. The lodge provides guests with a relaxing setting among scenic West Virginia landscape. The onsite guest lounge comes equipped with a TV, board games and fireplace, creating a cozy area for all seasons of the year. Cabins, cottages and bungalows rentals are also available. Cacapon Resort State Park Lodge is a nonsmoking facility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Cacapon Resort State Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cacapon Resort State Park Hotel Berkeley Springs
- Cacapon Hotel Berkeley Springs
- Cacapon Hotel State Park