“Nice room, poor management”
Review of Ambrae House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berkeley Springs
Ambrae House
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice room, poor management”
Reviewed 12 July 2010

My husband and I spent a weekend in Berkeley Springs and stayed at Ambrae House. The inn was clean and nicely decorated and the bar and restaurant seemed to be very popular with the locals. However, the room did lack the little things, such as soap for the shower, kleenex, extra toilet paper and towells, etc., and the managers--Lisa and Gary-- seemed tired and scattered. The owners live off site and we had trouble finding someone to give us suggestions about where to eat and sights to see in town. In addition, we were never told that the kitchen closed around 8 p.m., so we had to eat across the street at a pizzeria. I woke up before my husband around 7 a.m. and went downstairs in the morning to find out when breakfast was served and couldn't find anyone around for at least an hour until a cook wandered out of the kitchen. I also had trouble finding someone to check us out, and one of the managers didn't even remember meeting us the previous morning or walking us up to our room--even though there are only three rooms! That said, Ambrae House seems to be one of the nicer places to stay in Berkeley Springs, and I would recommend this B&B to my friends and family.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank averygraham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 20 June 2010

The Ambrae House was great. Quaint yet modern, good food, rooms are clean and large, with nice jacuzzi and flat screen TV. Close to everything in town. We had a GREAT time. So relaxing.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Fairmont, WV
Reviewed 1 June 2010

My husband and I spent Memorial Day Weekend in Berkeley Springs and stayed two nights at Ambrae House B & B in the Chablis room. This B & B is also a wine bar and restaurant, so we did hear noise from the patrons downstairs until around 11 p.m. each night, but we were up anyway so it didn't bother us. The B & B is lovely and the restaurant has good food. We enjoyed sitting on the front porch, but dining is available inside as well.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed 18 April 2010

The rooms are nice, new, and the bed and tub are comfortable. However, the small things just don't seem to be there. I asked about a particular restaurant--they couldn't tell me exactly where it was, offered to find me the phone number for it, but, didn't offer to call them to make a reservation. We packed in a hurry and neither of us brought shampoo. There was no shampoo, conditioner, or little soaps. We explored a bin in the laundry room to find some miniatures that were purchased at the Dollar General. A bar of Irish Spring soap for the shower? Are you kidding? Parking behind the building is problematic--neighbor gets angry if you park in front of one of the garage doors--had to move the car. Came down for coffee and was told there's a pot that can be plugged in upstairs--was given two cups in a thermos pitcher. No instructions on how to use the direct TV--what channels were available, like HBO. And a one page list of "house rules" in the room with this: When you check in, someone will go over an inventory of the things in the room--your credit card will be charged for anything that is missing! I guess I wasn't going to take a roll of single-ply toilet paper! Also, the house rules advised us to not use too much water--in order to keep costs down! Yikes! The bar and restaurant noise "travels" upstairs, but everything was closed up by 10 p.m. Is the toilet in the Champagne Room, directly over the bed in the Burgundy Room? Sure sounded like it from the sound of someone using it in the morning. The owners are new at this--they can build it, but, will discriminating guests come? Come back?

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 13 April 2010

We took a last minute "spring break" because we work for ourselves and marked the time off in our calendars but alas made no plans. I looked around on the web for a place to go within a reasonable driving distance and with warm weather. I was also curious about hot springs so I googled and came up with Berkeley Springs. I read the hotel reviews and wasn't impressed but came across the Ambrae House reviews and we gave it a try. My 17 year old daughter and her friend were good sports and we landed there on a Monday evening after Easter. The 100 year old house was beautiful and, pleasantly, the entire house had been gutted and remodeled beautifully. The charm of an historic home with all of the amenities of modern life. the innkeeper, lisa, is energetic and helpful, easy to talk to and brimming with knowledge about the area. The front porch was a nice respite and the bright sitting room, reserved for the house guests, upstairs was sunny and comfortable. And all within walking distance (2 to 3 blocks) of galleries, interesting shops, cute restaurants with inventive offerings, and other shops for digging around to find treasures. We discovered the town was voted a winner in the Top 100 Small Art Towns. Since we were there in the off season and early in the week some shops and restaurants weren't open but that worked out fine. Relaxing and comfortable sums it up. Gary is adding an outdoor patio that we're looking forward to visiting when it's finished. We'll be back!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Glasscitytraveler
Columbia, PA
Reviewed 12 April 2010

A Spectacular display of class and elegance, The Ambrae House will leave you speechless. My husband Shaun and I stayed at the Ambrae House for some reconnecting time and Lisa and Gary greeted us with open arms. We had such a nice, relaxing weekend and didn't have to worry about a thing. The food was delightful, thanks to Cheryl, and the wine bar was a satisfing touch that added new conversations and laughs with fellow locals. The Ambrae House was, by far, the best place to add class and intimacy into our lives. We left happy, well rested, relaxed and FULL! I would recommend to anyone looking for a relaxing get-a-way to visit historic Berkeley Springs. Make sure to give Lisa a call at the Ambrae house for a stay of a lifetime!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Northern Virginia
Reviewed 22 January 2010

My wife and I decided to go for a long weekend on short notice. The Ambrea house was great. Lisa (owner) and Cheryl (Chef) we very accomodating for all of our needs. As part of your reservation, they ask about special diets and/or allergies. They created a wonderful menu with several vegetarian friendly options. They even created a virgin sangria since my wife is pregnant.

We stayed in the Burhgandy room, which had a comfortable feel with a nice sitting area and large king bed. The highlight, though, was the large soaking tub with air jets.

The location was also great as Berkeley Springs State Park was just a couple of blocks away, and you can see the Castle from the breakfast nook on the second floor.

The B&B also has a great wine bar, which was quite popular among locals. Leo was helpful in picking a wine or finding out more about things around town.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#1 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
Best Western Berkeley Springs Inn
Best Western Berkeley Springs In...
#2 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
#10 of 11 in Berkeley Springs
Super 8 Hancock MD
Super 8 Hancock MD
#1 of 2 in Hancock

Been to Ambrae House? Share your experiences!