“Very relaxing afternoon at the spa...”
Review of Atasia Spa

Atasia Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Atasia Spa is a full-service spa located in the middle of West Virginia's Town of Bath, one block from the Berkeley Springs State Park. Known for its spas, Berkeley Springs has many fine restaurants, B&Bs, hotels and shopping establishments - within walking distance of Atasia Spa.
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

My fiance and I are not big "spa" people but it seemed like a good idea given that Berkeley Springs is a landmark in spa history. So we gave it a go.

The staff is friendly and attentive. After being greeted we were whisked away to the locker room to don robes and head out to the tub. The whirlpool is amazing and a great start to the experience. The water is almost too hot to stand in the beginning but it was perfect after a minute.

We both received facials and massages. She probably got more out of the facial but I can say the massage was amazing. The relaxation areas were pleasantly lit and the local spring water was a nice touch.

While between the whirlpool and facials I realized that my fiance and I would not be enjoying the massage together (we were in separate rooms) despite the fact that I thought I had booked it so. The manager dealt with the issue competently and quickly and I appreciated the effort despite the fact that the couples room remained unavailable. After fifteen years in the service industry I recognize quality when I see it.

My only complaint was that our afternoon appointment was a surprise gift to my fiance. The manager rang us up immediately while we were in the waiting room. Normally I wouldn't mind but it was a bit gauche as I was hoping to keep money out of the equation in front of her. Not really that big of a deal though.

All in all a relaxing and enjoyable experience.

ruger45shots, Guest Relations Manager at Atasia Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thanks for choosing Atasia Spa and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is greatly appreciated by our spa staff as well as being helpful to others when making spa decisions for this area. I especially want to thank you for the compliment pertaining to your customer service experience. Client comfort and satisfaction is our priority. Looking forward to seeing you again!

All reviews
"mani pedi"
in 5 reviews
"eucalyptus steam"
in 3 reviews
"looking forward to my next visit"
"melt away"
in 4 reviews
"minute massage"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 2 February 2014

I'm kicking myself giving this spa an 'average' review, but I'm feeling pretty generous. The receptionist was pleasant and so were the two facial girls, but that's where it ended. Hubby and I each had the same facial, but apparently had two very different procedures done. My husband and I each had a 45 minute massage. I was under the impression that the two massage therapists that did our massages were pissed they had to come to work for 1 massage each. The woman that picked up my husband was very rude. I asked my massage therapist to concentrate on my back neck and shoulders, and she still did her routine anyway. I told the woman at the beginning of the massage I would like lots of pressure. No such luck. My dog could have walked on my back and it would have felt better and made more sense. I would not return here. Had a better massage and friendlier experience at Berkeley Springs State Park.

5  Thank SWPAgirl
ruger45shots, Guest Relations Manager at Atasia Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback on our services, we are very disappointed to learn of your recent experience with us. We noticed that you were not satisfied with the service you received and while this is of course regrettable, we appreciate you bringing it to our attention. We have brought this issue to the attention of the respective management and we will take appropriate measures to ensure this mistake is not repeated. We hope you will reconsider returning next time you are in our area and give us the opportunity to provide you the amazing experience we are known for.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

On Saturday, January 18 two friends and I each did a package we created: Steam, Whirlpool & Massage.

Steam: We had 15 minutes (timed) in their steam room. A small tiled room with an immense amount of steam. I've been to MANY spas and this was the MOST steam I've ever experienced. Initially I thought it might be too much, but it wasn't it was AMAZING. It was a great way to start our relaxing afternoon.

Whirlpool: This was a new one for me. We each had our own Whirlpool tub, in our own room to ourselves. It was great. Enya playing on the sound system. 15 minutes (also carefully timed) in a hot bubbling tub was GREAT after being in steam.

Massage: I go to a spa in Manhattan once a month and therefore I REALLY LOVE deep tissue massage. My friends frequently go to SpaWorld in the NoVA area. Atasia has it documented in their materials that they do not give deep tissue massages. So... for that reason, I give you a 4 out of 5 on TA.

Overall we really enjoyed our visit. The spa is clean, a nice atmosphere (steam & Whirlpool are on the first floor; massages on the second floor where there are a few quiet seated areas to relax before your massage), the staff is friendly & caring. Their robes are fantastic (not those thin waffle robes that are common at spas - these were microfiber lined - SO NICE)!!!

The locker room is a bit small, but not bad.

TIP: spa etiquette: get dressed and move on to a space where you can chitchat... maybe that's me and my DC/NYC experience... Yes, it's fun to be with friends/family but come on... there are other people in the space - move it. I've been to AMAZING SPAs across the US that are HUGE and cost 3 times as much... go there if you want to socialize while getting dressed and putting on your makeup (in fact one spa had a quiet room and a social room where you could dress & put on makeup). Plus... the reality is the other patrons don't want to hear your stories... we are here to relax - hearing about your partner, kids, family, work, whatever... does not make our experience pleasurable... That's not the spa's fault...that's a rude patron...

Maybe Atasia could put up signs in the locker room: "Please respect the peace and quiet of others enjoying this relaxing environment."

1  Thank HappyHikerGirl
ruger45shots, Guest Relations Manager at Atasia Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Thanks so much for choosing our spa and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is important to us as well as others planning a visit to the area. We appreciate you noticing the care we take in keeping our spa clean and the quality of services we provide; it is what we strive to deliver. We value your comments and your suggestion has been forwarded to our management team. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I live in the Washington DC area and have been going to Berkeley Springs for a girlfriend spa weekend for 7 years. We have considered other towns, but Atasia Spa is the main reason we return to Berkeley Springs year after year. The outside looks like an older home, but inside is comfortable, clean and eclectic. After Becky, the friendly receptionist, checks you in, the bath attendant takes you to one of their changing areas and gives you a locker, key, flip flops and robe. The robes are fantastic, soft and fluffy.

I like that the house has been renovated into a spa, but you can still tell it was a house. It is just more fun and cozy that way. I've found that the other clients at the spa are quiet and respectful of the fact that other people are having services (unlike some spas I've been to in DC where people are on phones and disturbing the peace). The rooms where you rest have papasan chairs, couches, local spring water, quiet music and dim light. Resting in those rooms might be my favorite part.

Usually, I start with the steam room and then have a massage and facial. (There is a discount if you get 3 services, but prices are reasonable even without the discount.) This year I started with the steam room, then had an herbal wrap. Jeannie did the wrap. It was a nice way to quiet my mind before having other services. Theresa did my massage, and I have had other masseuses in the past. All are good and you should speak up to tell them what you want. I prefer a 90 minute massage, because it is 10 times more relaxing than a shorter massage. The stone massage is particularly good.

This year Sydney gave me a Rejuvenating Facial. It includes massage for the hands, feet and shoulders. She did a great job and gave me a list of products she used, but did not do any hard sell (again, some DC facials involve a long sales pitch). My friends agreed my skin was glowing and fresh after. One friend bought some products because she liked them, and it was nice that it was a choice made without any pushing.

All the people providing services at the salon are nice, local, and follow the same process for each service... greeting, pointing out where to hang your robe, telling you which way to face on the table, leaving the room for you to dress, and knocking before entering. Then after your treatment they leave the room and wait outside with Berkeley Springs spring water. I like that everyone has the same system, it makes it more comfortable and predictable. You don't have to carry money around for tips, there are envelopes at reception you can use on the way out. Another note is even though I was there with just girlfriends, there are always men there so it would be comfortable for couples too.

We stayed at Atasia Spa all day, from 10:00-4:00, and I spent under $250. It was an amazing spa experience for such a low price. Really worth the 2 hour drive from DC for a getaway weekend.