“good food, close to hotel”
Review of Angus & Ale

Angus & Ale
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This is on the same property as the hotel we were staying at, so by default (did not want to drive to another place or order pizza) we went here. We decided to go for a drink in the afternoon to see the place and there wasn't a bartender, the only girl there waited on us and she did very good. They carry some of the local brews and they were very good. We decided to go back for dinner and it was good. We had chicken wings and we are from the area that created wings and these were very close to those! Our dinner was very good and filling. The prices are very reasonable. The only things I can really say negative is that there seems to be no management and the restaurant had a "dirty" feeling to it. If we were not staying in the hotel we most likely would not have gone here.

tom l, Owner at Angus & Ale, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2014

Please contact us (Tom & Sandra Lombardo) directly at Angusandale@aol.com with any comments or complaints as I would love to hear from you and/or address any issues you may have had with us.
I would like to thank you for checking us out and taking time to consider us and or review us. I would now ask that whatever your experience with us you do not review us on trip advisor or yelp. These sites are detrimental to Small Independent Restaurants and I do not wish to participate. (Ask yourself when was the last time you checked trip advisor to see what the Outback or McDonalds was like. Yet with an independent restaurant a couple bad review will most likely keep you from checking them out.)
With trip advisors policies as a business owner you are not permitted to opt out and remove your business, so while I appreciate your business I humbly request that you, even if you love us and want to tell someone, not post a review but instead share with your friends and family,. If you want to know a good place to eat in a small town or city I recommend you call some of the local businesses or visitors center as the locals will guide you in the right direction.
I realize this will hurt our “Ranking” as now only people leaving bad reviews will be so motivated as to deny my request. However I do not wish to support trip advisor’s business model and request your help doing so.
Thank You for your time and Patronage.

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We were seated immediately which was one of the few(and possibly only) good parts of this dining experience. The baked potatoes were cooked in the microwave and didn't taste fresh. The bbq chicken was under cooked. The Cole slaw was worse than that of a fast food restaurant. Several of us felt sick after eating.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I was disappointed in this restaurant's food. My shrimp was just ok, my baked potato was like over cooked in a microwave. The coleslaw was really not very good at all.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is a local hangout that has menus all over town. We decided to try it, and were very disappointed. It is crowded and noisy, and the staff spends quite a bit of time talking to the locals they know, while out of towners sit waiting.
I got the ribs and wings, and their BBQ sauce has a ton of onions, which I am allergic to. After informing the staff, and taking over 80% of my meal away, we were still charged over HALF for the few wings, and less than half the fries, as a majority of the fries had BBQ sauce on them.
The other meal was fine, but it left us both sad as we dined, and tried to celebrate a special event.

tom l, Owner at Angus & Ale, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

As you mentioned we are a local favorite. We do not advertise and do not have signage to speak of. We do very well through word of mouth advertising due to the amount of locals who dine with us on a weekly and some even a daily basis. That being said we are known for great food and a great value, but more importantly for how much we care about the satisfaction of each and every guest.
I apologize about any noise issue but the fact that we were busy and noisy, due to that business, is just a good example that we have a very nice loyal following who dine with us on a regular basis. these guests will get some extra attention(wile not avoiding others) on a personal level from our servers as they dine with us several times a week and are well known to us on a personal level. I see this a a positive thing for our establishment. All of our servers care not only how our guests enjoy their meal but how they are doing outside as well.
I would like to start by stating our policy on food related problems. If a guest of ours does not eat their food due to something we have done or even if they just do not like it due to a difference in taste. they will not be charged for what they do not like and will be charged only for the portion of the meal which was not effected (such as you did not like your sauce but salad and vegetable were fine. The item served with sauce would be removed) They will immediately be offered a substitute meal or a freshly prepared meal.
I was present the night of your visit and so am familiar with this incident. Had you alerted your server to your onion allergy prior to ordering they would have recommended something else for you. Being unaware they reacted correctly in offering you a substitute meal when you did not want your sauce. When you refuse the replacement meal we removed the ribs from your bill and charged you for the edible portion of your meal including the fries. Fresh fries would have been provided to you if you informed your server of your concern they may have had sauce on them. That being said the other person with you informed the server they enjoyed their meal. So I am confused with the low rating based only on your "onion incident"
We go to every possible step to ensure peoples satisfaction and I believe we acted responsibly however we can not make you happy if you don't let us know what is needed to do so. Had you been clear perhaps we could have salvaged the evening for you.
We find that most negative reviews could have easily been resolved with open dialog with servers and or managers. too often though people spend their hard earned money and go home dissatisfied when they only needed to speak up. Mistakes will happen everywhere, but we will, and most independent restaurants as well, will go to extremes to ensure your satisfaction if given the chance.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

You'll get mixed reviews from my group of friends who ate dinner here recently. Obviously, I ordered wrong with the half-rack of ribs. Although the sauce was delicious, 90% of my meals was fat and ended up on the side of my plate. I mentioned this to the waitress (it was obvious I had a plate full of fat) and she was unfazed. No apology or offer of an alternative. The rest of our party had burgers and salads and they were quite pleased with their meals. The price was quite reasonable.

My next statement is going to sound a little strange, but there were laminated sheets on the tables with games you could play while waiting for your meal. We had a good time occupying ourselves until we had all but one answer to one of the quizzes. All but one. And not one waitress or staffer or hostess or cashier knew what the answer was or how we could find out what it was. This drove us all crazy for the next 48 hours in Berkeley Springs. It's still driving us crazy. My suggestion is that they print the answers to that quiz SOMEWHERE either you or the staff can find it so it doesn't drive customers insane.

1  Thank Susan S